a reply to: beezzer
This likely mythical person would lead from the front and by example, understand the life of the common individual because he (or) she had lived it
themselves before attaining power, and would have served America in uniform as an enlisted rank during wartime, or even better as enlisted with a
later battlefield commission.
- Re-examine the role of law enforcement at every level and restrict police power with either unrelenting scrutiny of their on the job performance, or
a vast reduction in their mandate to use deadly force. The carry of non-lethal only weapons for the standard patrolman would be a long term goal.
Creation of special armed units authorized to respond to a very specific set of crises. Body and gun sight cams mandatory for all cops armed with
- Form a citizen justice corps with precincts in every neighborhood. Encourage citizens to join and take some responsibility for making their
neighborhoods safer. A branch of this organization would focus on community outreach to with intervention before most crimes are committed their
- Overhaul the justice system. No more revolving doors from penitentiaries to the streets. Personalized justice for every American citizen. No more
conveyor belt plea agreements so the DA and Judge can more speedily get through their backlogs. No more trophy convictions for District Attorneys. The
burden of proof was intended to be on the state, let's make that the case.
- A program to re-build and focus domestic economic policy on local economies. Mass restrictions on the largest of corporations perhaps limiting them
to a certain number of franchises in each region or even state. An effort to bring back the small mom and pop family business for the purpose once
again of nourishing the local economy.
- All domestic intelligence gathering agencies strictly limited in their range of national data collection. A new era of focusing the intelligence
apparatus outward; a shift away from monitoring American citizens to foreign threats almost exclusively.
- A mandatory two year service in the armed forces plus eight years inactive reserve. Make every American put on the uniform.
- No fortress America, however, the full use of technology to lock down the border. No more housing illegal immigrants in heartland county prisons.
Construction of holding facilities on the border where immigrants are held (treated with dignity) but fully processed without stepping more than a few
yards onto American soil.
- Much tougher immigration laws. You want to become an American citizen? Then you must work for it. No more overnight naturalization so the immigrant
can get to work doing jobs no one else wants to touch. A gradual citizenship process over the completion of which the applicant immigrant is not
eligible for full pay, full driving rights, military service or social benefits. Put the needs of the "full" American citizen first in every new
piece of legislation.
- No more billions in aid to foreign nations. In other words, no more playing chess with foreign mega corporations (mining companies, pharma giants),
or other first world nations by funding warlord A or dictator B or backing rebel group C. An end to the role of the American puppet master. Enlarge
the Peace Corps or create a much larger, similarly tasked organization and put them to work overseas doing important, benevolent work in third world
communities; use them to foster good foreign relations, even set up a youth exchange. When hammer and nails fail to win hearts and minds, remember: De
Opresso Liber, and use the men who've earned the right to wear and recite that motto to do even more good overseas.
- Create a Peace Corps like group to work within our borders. Teach young people what it's like to help others through incredibly hard work. Put them
in the worst neighborhoods, in this way foster strong race relations and show them skin color does not predispose their fellow American to
unacceptable behavior. Make a few months of this service mandatory for their high school diploma. Pump money into dying cities like Detroit, and for
the sake of a new set of tires, repave most of Michigan's roads.
- No more pork barrel spending. None. Revamp the entire congressional election system and place hard time limitations on new legislation. Make
congress work all year for the American people. Reduce their salaries, perks, benefits, etc. No more special treatment standard with the office or
title. Likewise, no more hiding our president away in a fortress.
- Create a task force to address class warfare.
- Title this list: Dear Santa . . .