It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Asteroid to Safely Pass Earth On Sunday September 7 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Small Asteroid to Safely Pass Earth On Sunday September 7 2014

www.nasa.gov...

There may be interruptions in telecommunications if this were to change course.
Although the article states we are not to worry i can't help but wonder what would happen if it did?
It is supposed to be able to be viewed with the naked eye around 2:00 p.m. in New Zealand so im not sure who all will be able to see this event.
We were struck with some pretty phenomonal storms last night in Ontario Canada,and it felt like the earth was contaracting like a woman in labour.
I was curious as i watched and felt it if we were not preparing for something entering our atmosphere.
If someone with the knowledge could enlighten me as to whether an object such as an asteroid entering would cause such severe contracting ?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmicgypsy
already posted here and here

edit on 6-9-2014 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
a reply to: cosmicgypsy
already posted here and here

But not posted in the Space Exploration forum, where this belongs.

Thanks for starting this thread, cosmicgypsy. This asteroid is about the same size as the Chelyabinsk meteor, so if it hit our atmosphere it would produce an air blast of comparable force, as well as some large chunks hitting the ground.

We'll have to watch out for this asteroid in the future, as it may come even closer than this.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

There may be interruptions in telecommunications if this were to change course.
Although the article states we are not to worry i can't help but wonder what would happen if it did?

Why would it change course? It's an asteroid, not a controlled spacecraft. The gravitational force of Earth has already been accounted for in the calculations, so the trajectory arc through the Earth-Moon system is well established. Anyway, the chances of a 20 metre wide asteroid colliding with a geostationary satellite are incredibly low.
edit on 8-9-2014 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt My apologies,i guess i should have looked under prior dates.
I need to learn how to search to find repeats which i thought i had done.Perhaps i need to wake up before typing.
I thought i had posted this error in Space and Exploration,again my apologies.
Thank You for pointing out my stupidity.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.thetimes.co.uk...

Scientists are investigating whether an asteroid that hurtled close to Earth at the weekend may have shed a fragment that struck the Nicaraguan capital, creating a 39ft-wide (12 metre) crater and a shockwave so great that locals mistook it for an earthquake.

www.bbc.com...

new topics

top topics

join