It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'other' music..celtic/middle eastern/african, etc.....recomendations?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
hey all. ive been diving into other types of music lately. you know, besides popular and classical.

is there anything you would recommend?
i love indian/middle eastern music and have enjoyed ravi shankar, anoushka shankar, and zakir hussein for years.
i just downloaded a bunch of turkish music and i love it.
of course i love old irish folk music but im looking for other stuff.

can you point me towards anything?

thanks

edit* i love old blues stuff. you know the robert johnson and blind lemon jefferson type stuff. i would like to get some ragtime or old slave music but i have not been able to find any. can anyone point me in that direction?
edit on 6-9-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Hello
I am a big fan of Celtic & Greek folk music.
One of my favorite bands is Circa Paleo. They are hugely popular at our local RenFaire. You might want to check them out.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Give Estas Tonne a shot....id start with this youtube link and look around for more www.youtube.com...

He is a solo guitarist...his Internal flight album adds a little more than guitar but you can buy his Internal flight album for a buck and its one hour of music. His sound kind of mixes Spanish guitar with maybe some Eastern themes. Some of his stuff reminds me of slave but its all guitar so idk if that is your thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
thanks for the link. there is just so much out there. being irish myself you would think i would know more of the celtic/irish folk music but i really dont know anything besides gaelic storm and the chieftans. i love mary black.
ill start digging in.

i just grabbed some yiddish tunes from the early 20's and i love it. getting some old tunes from burma right now.
i think i need to stay on this quest to hear it all. i will say i am NOT into the mexican, mariachi type stuff.

thanks again

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Give Estas Tonne a shot....id start with this youtube link and look around for more www.youtube.com...

He is a solo guitarist...his Internal flight album adds a little more than guitar but you can buy his Internal flight album for a buck and its one hour of music. His sound kind of mixes Spanish guitar with maybe some Eastern themes. Some of his stuff reminds me of slave but its all guitar so idk if that is your thing.

awesome. thanks.
ive been a guitar player for a long time so anything that is heavy with that i am into. that sounds right up my alley.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Here is a documentary I made with "Viva La Pepa"
A different style of music indeed.

vimeo.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
ever listen to traditional japanese music?

i just grabbed some and its awesome. might be my favorite yet

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

if your looking for abnormal then...and a guitar player ... try..ewan dobson...ben lapps...daniel voth...newton faulkner and andy mckee!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Don't know if you'll like this, I like rock mixed with tribal tones

or Tinariwen

I also have a thing for old slave songs which are really the precursors of the blues and the roots of most western music.
Search 'old slave songs' on youtube,

edit on 6/9/14 by athousandlives because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Jazz manouche - Minor Swing by non other than Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli.

www.youtube.com...

Camaron De la Isla - Soy Gitano - www.youtube.com...

Also would recommend to see Latcho Drom - www.youtube.com...

Its full of beautifull music in Romanies route to europe from India, i would recommend to purchase it but its also found in youtube as full movie/document
edit on 6-9-2014 by romilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: romilo
Jazz manouche - Minor Swing by non other than Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli.

www.youtube.com...

Camaron De la Isla - Soy Gitano - www.youtube.com...

oh yeah!!!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Or why not some Mongolian or Chinese tunes,

Beautiful music has no boundaries,

edit on 6/9/14 by athousandlives because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
If you like some Sikh with english text then a little Snatam Kaur might be nice.

For those who like trance also listen to this one.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

im still trying to find a bunch of slave music. i got a ton of old ragtime stuff. jelly roll morton and such but i would like to go back a bit further

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo

i know all about django. i already have a ton of his stuff. i have especially gotten into him after i got hurt and tore my hand up. i lost my left ring finger so i pay close attention to django

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

i just grabbed a lot of mongolian and chinese stuff earlier. japanese too. im really liking the japanese tunes.

thanks for all the links everyone

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

edit on 6-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

huge anoushka fan... been listening to her and her father for a long time

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Fela Kuti

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

edit* i love old blues stuff. you know the robert johnson and blind lemon jefferson type stuff. i would like to get some ragtime or old slave music but i have not been able to find any. can anyone point me in that direction?

Check out Alan Lomax for spirituals, work (slave) songs and so on... he is unrivalled at gathering the best and most amazing stuff from those genres.

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

i love indian/middle eastern music and have enjoyed ravi shankar, anoushka shankar, and zakir hussein for years.
i just downloaded a bunch of turkish music and i love it.
of course i love old irish folk music but im looking for other stuff.

Hope these help )
edit on 6/9/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join