It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police, some armed with AR-15 rifles, fired 61 shots in killing man with BB gun at Texas truck stop

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
New information has just been released on this case, I thought I would start a new thread on it as the other one is full of people who are fixated on the false claims that Jose Garza was shot 80 times in the face.

Chief investigator Joe Baeza has stated that a total of 61 shots were fired from 6 officers, some of which were armed with AR-15's. No report of how many actually hit Garza yet..

Six police officers unleashed a barrage of some 60 bullets after a Texas man refused repeated orders to drop a weapon, later found to be a BB gun, police said.

Jose Walter Garza, 30, never spoke when police spent five minutes at a Laredo truck stop ordering him to drop the replica pistol, but eventually “raised the weapon in the direction of a police officer,” Investigator Joe Baeza, the Laredo, Texas, police spokesman told the Daily News.

It's been argued that the police should have taken the security guards word that he had a pellet gun, I don't believe that's a particularly wise move, as you never know what they have on them and there's no way of telling what type of gun was in his hand at the time.

There were a couple of other snippets I caught that hadn't seen yet either..

Garza was well-known to cops, having been arrested nearly 30 times in the past. He’d been committed to a state hospital in 2010 after a suicide attempt in which a rifle went off inside his grandparents' Laredo home, Baeza said. And just hours before the shooting, police interacted with Garza in downtown Laredo after an officer spotted him with another replica BB gun around 9 p.m. last Friday.

Police confiscated that pistol but didn’t arrest him. Garza then went to Walmart and purchased a bottle of wine and another BB gun, police said.

When he showed up at the truck stop just before 2 a.m. Saturday, a patron reported a man with the gun, prompting the security guard to call police. When officers arrived, the security guard attempted to tell police the gun was a fake, but was not able to until after the shooting, Baeza said.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Well it is good to get official clarification as to how many shots were fired.

First why did they have AR15's! To me that is insane. I mean really really over the line!

Second 61 shots is also unbelievable, to me that level of overkill is simply ridiculous, perhaps too many video games.

There has to be more accountability for these officers actions, it is unacceptable that the new norm is to be terrified of these cops whose salaries we pay, to repay us with fear, murder and intimidation!

I wonder if this is what it was like in Germany as the gestapo began their oppression. This is a nationwide issue that is getting worse by the day! The very fact that they are trained to aim for the chest is all we need to know about their ultimate motives
edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago09America/Chicago930amSaturday3 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
So instead of of us thinking that 6 cops shot a man armed with a BB gun, 80 times and giving them the benefit of a doubt that they hit their target, (which would have made them at least mediocre shots at any range under 200 yards with an AR-15), we are to be content and feel better thinking instead, that 6 cops only fired about 10 times a piece at a man armed with a BB gun and might have missed more often than they hit?
Gotcha.

edit on 6-9-2014 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

So an assisted suicide by cop, glad to hear the police are still able to take care of that one for you.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

There's been no suggestion of that actually.

I guess it can't be ruled out, since he was mentally ill.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

Sorry, thought I would present the story without MSM hyperbole.

ATS is better than that right?

Starting to see that it isn't...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk
a reply to: Sremmos80

There's been no suggestion of that actually.

I guess it can't be ruled out, since he was mentally ill.

According to the other thread there were reports that the police dealt with him before when he attempted suicide in the past.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

I am just not seeing any significant difference in the over all narrative. Cops used over kill in both stories.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Ha. They're trying to fool people like they do with gas prices. Used to be $1.99, then it was $4.05, so now $3.50 doesn't sound so bad.

6 officers, 10 rounds each. Sounds marginally better than 6 officers, 13 rounds each. And a whole lot of idiots will fall for it.

Any way you slice it, you don't need to shoot at anyone 10 times to kill them (unless you're so horrible of a shot that you shouldn't be anywhere near a firearm in the first place, nevermind having one as a part of your daily uniform). You have to enjoy it to lose yourself in the experience so decadently.

Which, needless to say, is quite disturbing. I think some of these pigs would fit in better working for ISIS than they would any "respectable" LE agency.
edit on 9/6/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk

It's been argued that the police should have taken the security guards word that he had a pellet gun, I don't believe that's a particularly wise move, as you never know what they have on them and there's no way of telling what type of gun was in his hand at the time.

Why don't you believe it's a wise move? You say there's no way of knowing what type of gun was in his hand,
yet the security guards appear to be correct. So completely ignoring them was the wrong move, then to shoot
him 60 times is still wrong.

Count to sixty dude. That's a lot of rounds.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

I said why.

You even quoted it..

Count to sixty dude. That's a lot of rounds.

Certainly is!

Imagine how many rounds they would have used if they went in no guns pulled, hands in pocket because the security guy said it's all good and he had a real gun and wanted to use it!

edit on 6-9-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I don't care what the "suspect" was doing.

60 rounds…

I'm asking this again. Is this how they train at the range with the range master looking on?

"Shoot em up" at paper targets on the range is a bad thing, but when they are in the field all they have to do is claim "they lost control or don't remember because they were afraid or every one else was firing"…

And that is why they use to only allow police to carry revolvers. So that their responses could be measured against the limited ammo and we wouldn't have John Wayne at Iwo Jima style executions going on in the media.

After all, they are civil "servants", not death squads.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

cmon now if you had just got hold of an ar15 im sure you would want to try it out

i agree they are civil servants not death squads and 60 odd bullets is going way too far

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I don't care what the "suspect" was doing.

Really? Perhaps you are right and the person should have killed somone first?

Of course you only have the media to tell "the situation" you were not there, nor in the decision making process which is split second.

So let's be straight here...If I have a gun or anything that looks like one; I point it at any one of them....I expect to be shot and not have them call a psycharatrist. Where do you people miss the point?

MG

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

Where do you people miss the point?

At 60 rounds.

One round would have done it. They had rifles at point blank range for chrissakes. Can they hit a barn at that short distance?

Thats the problem with more and more firepower. If they have it they use it. I suppose if they were in a tank they would have destroyed the neighborhood, to get their man.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The bottom line is . . .
If you play stupid games your are going to win stupid prizes.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: missed_gear

Where do you people miss the point?

At 60 rounds.

Ok...let's go back to "stupid is stupid"

I do not care if it was 61, 610 rounds or 6100...a weapon was brandished. He got shot, died as he should. The officers took the right action...if he brandished a gun on them what of the public.

It is a fine line, but idiots pull even plastic guns on police; guess what...they get dead. And should be. That could easily a threat to me, my family my kids...but am I to explain to my wife..."oh, they were waiting on a psycologist"..."let's hope he does not hurt anyone until they arrive"...go to another planet, you do not live on this one in reality

MG

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

BB guns can look very real - actually only the caliber may be the diff. Cop facing the situation, has a fraction of a second to take an evasive action, and potentially save his own life.

However, that is not the situation here.

The BB-guy was not a sudden threat, but his actions were under constant control and monitor by a number of officers. This would have given them plenty of time, to acquire markers for less lethal options. Which in my books, would make a 61 shot shooting an intentional killing.

These cops should be prosecuted for man slaughter.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
the man obviously had a gun-fetish.

Live by the sword.....

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear
So let's be straight here...If I have a gun or anything that looks like one; I point it at any one of them....I expect to be shot and not have them call a psycharatrist. Where do you people miss the point?
MG

How do you know he pointed the gun at them? The police chief for instance 'didn't know' how many shots were fired when he made his statement, why then should you believe whatever else came out of his gub.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join