It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Constructs 3D Printed Concrete Castle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Source

Minnesotan contractor Andrey Rudenko is now the king of his castle; his 3D-printed concrete castle, that is. After completing a journey that took more than two years, Rudenko developed a customized 3D printer to extrude concrete and build a castle that he had designed himself. The entire structure is approximately 3 meters by 5 meters, which really makes it an amazing backyard fort rather than an actual livable structure.

First thought, how will this impact the construction industry?

Now that Rudenko has proven that aesthetically-pleasing customized structures can be created with 3D printers, he’s hoping to scale up operations and create an actual livable medium-sized home. Rather than just create the walls for the building, he would be able to program his printer to create the frame for the staircase, leave spaces for plumbing and electrical wires, as well as decorative elements.

And we're getting closer to having to change the way we think about our economy and jobs.

We need to rethink things and come out of these archaic paradigms of social structure, governance, and economy.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Pretty cool...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: the_philth

Thanks I would add more to the thread but I. On an ipad

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"Extruding concrete to create 3D-printed buildings isn’t entirely novel. It has been proposed to quickly create inexpensive housing in poverty-stricken areas"--- we need more of that...

Awesome find
edit on E14America/Chicago09259 by Eyemin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Eyemin

Yeah but who's going to supply the materials?

When have they ever helped the poor?

THIS TECHNOLOGY will help them get rid of us

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
3d printing and bioprinting will change the world in the next ten to fifteen years

Bet on it

And its so fing sexy and cool

Nd man I cant wait until I get my hands on one

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I read that 3d printed houses are the way for the future. If they can be built with eco sound materials, for example, recycled mainframe and insulation, and with integrated eco elements such as geothermal and solar, that would be a solution for many.
edit on 5-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm curious to see how 3d printing will change the medical industry. Form fitting plastic casts and whatnot.
I don't think construction will benefit as much with this tech. The machines will have to be huge and withstand inclement weather. The future should be fun though...
Nice find.
edit on 5-9-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I seen a 3d reconstructed nose on a documentary recently, it has vast medical potential.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I've been really interested in this since the work on it in China:

www.dailymail.co.uk... each.html

Super cheap, and the concept ideally requires basically no human labor, you set up the printer and walk away.

Its still a bit gimmicky though. Those in the know about construction seem to say it would be cheaper and faster if the 3D printer created forms, and then the forms were put up around the rebar, with the concrete just poured in. But I don't know. Either way, if this could be combined with tiles, I think this guy could have a great business making classic Greek or Turkish bath style outdoor hot tub structures. That would be a really luxurious thing to have in your backyard.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I am not sure if it is about finding the funding. Maybe the tech just needs to evolve a bit more.

"he’s hoping to scale up operations and create an actual livable medium-sized home."

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Eyemin

There are teams working on just that, it is viable IMO.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

That would be awesome... Not just in poor countries, but to remove dwelling from the heavy polluted areas. Removing them from higher chances of sickness, sicknesses in which tax players are covers. It would remove them from higher birth defects and development effects in children. Remove ghettos and give people some land. That would be awesome... rather see that then one man walking on mars.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The aliens must have used these printers thousands of years ago to build some of those ancient structures.

Maybe they printed our whole planet and animated it.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I would guess that most of the 2 years was spent allowing the many layers to set. While a novel and ground-breaking idea, it doesn't really seem like an efficient method of construction. Yet.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
If I was young I would be doing everything I could to get my hands one one of these printers and learning everything I could about their operation. It will either be the job of the future or it will be a great avenue to having your own business I think..

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Its a good idea to create children's play areas but it wouldn't stand up to a cannon ball

I think it looks good, like a Minecraft effect.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Pretty cool structure. It would be easy to plaster/concrete over the ridges to smooth it out some.

My question though is if he is using any steel reinforcement like rebar inside of the concrete. It's hard to tell from the story and images, but if it were my castle it would definitely be with reinforced concrete =)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Computers were the size of houses, cars had a top speed of less than a horse, planes could only lift off with one person, cargo boats were made of reeds, and I just had my house 3D printed.

Welcome to progress...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'm curious to see how 3d printing will change the medical industry. Form fitting plastic casts and whatnot.

It will also affect the companies that produce replacement joints from cast titanium and the put those through an extensive machining process.

A 3-D part could be manufactured without flashing that needs to be machined down and then polished. All in all it most likely means the loss of more blue-collar, higher-wage manufacturing jobs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join