It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kiev, E. Ukraine militia sign ceasefire agreement

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

The next round of sanctions they are threatening will bite - they will be targeting Russian businesses in the energy, arms and finance sectors, as well as more figures within the Russian, rebel and Crimean leaderships.

I would be surprised if they were put on hold, I think this ceasefire is only temporary as the rebels have reiterated the desire to break away, while the Kiev Government is quite clear it will not accept division. It is merely a lull.

Then again, I could be wrong and would be happy to be proven wrong.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Good change this is an accurate state of the Ukrainian army now, and if true, Kiev doesn`t have to much to bargain with.

It will take some years of training and getting new equipment before they actually have a change to take on the East again.

Ukrainian Army
edit on 5-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Given the language used on that website, I won't hold much stock in it's accuracy. It is quite clearly biased with constant references to Junta, Nazi's and other such derogatory terms.

That said, I don't doubt the Ukrainian army is bloodied - it simply wasn't ready for the fight whereas Russia was, to a point.

I just don't think it is in total collapse, because that is not what we're seeing - if it was, then the rebels and Russians wouldn't have even entertained a ceasefire and simply pushed home until Kiev had no choice but to let the East go.

As it stands, the latest Russian intervention merely stopped the Kiev advance on Donetsk and took them totally by surprise near Mariopol, which has held out all week despite heavy fighting.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Mariupol is just surrounded, they didn`t attack it really. I don`t think they want to make a massacre of it with lots of civilian deaths.

If they want to go to Kiev they need much more troops, not only to reach it but also to hold it. It will be to costly for Russia in the long term. Russia isn`t looking for the total occupation of the Ukraine.

They have still some normal troops, but not much heavy armor or Air force anymore.

Following the reports somewhat the link might actually be reasonable accurate. There have been many cases of encircled Ukrainian forces over the last few months with heavy loss of armor.

The Ukraine army have retreated in lots a places with its tail between its legs.
edit on 5-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Hellas

Wait a minute

If Proky the Ukrainian president is working towards peace, then he will have to be taken out and shot because US and NATO want war.

If he isn't a puppet anymore, his fate is sealed.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: BanTheTruthQuick

Wait a minute

If Proky the Ukrainian president is working towards peace, then he will have to be taken out and shot because US and NATO want war.

If he isn't a puppet anymore, his fate is sealed.

They always have other options on the table. I bet they're going through their list of false flag events right now!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ceasefire or no ceasefire, that`s the question ?

Ukrainian authorities assure ceasefire observed

Meanwhile, Donetsk sources said Ukrainian forces did not observe the ceasefire, continuing shelling Donetsk

en.itar-tass.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think it's not over. Numerous people reported seeing Ukrainian tanks, mortars and other weapons and soldiers moving to the Eastern Ukraine from the Western parts. I'm afraid Ukraine will use this 'agreement' to regroup it's army.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Meanwhile, Donetsk sources said Ukrainian forces did not observe the ceasefire, continuing shelling Donetsk

And this is probably the reason...

The situation on the whole became calmer in the zone of the Kiev military operation after the ceasefire was declared, but some provocations from the militia side were reported overnight, he said.
The official said fire was opened on positions of Ukrainian troops for ten times after 19:00, September 5. Nobody was hurt.

en.itar-tass.com...

From your own source...way to cherry pick an article.

Maybe the separatists will think twice before doing that again during a cease fire.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: baburak

That would be standard practice even if they did plan to observe the truce. I imagine the rebels and their Russian "holiday-maker" friends are doing the same. It would be foolish not to prepare for the resumption of hostilities when a lasting peace has not been agreed.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: baburak

I think it's not over. Numerous people reported seeing Ukrainian tanks, mortars and other weapons and soldiers moving to the Eastern Ukraine from the Western parts. I'm afraid Ukraine will use this 'agreement' to regroup it's army.

Just as the separatists did during the humanitarian aid convoy debacle.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

And this is probably the reason...

The situation on the whole became calmer in the zone of the Kiev military operation after the ceasefire was declared, but some provocations from the militia side were reported overnight, he said.
The official said fire was opened on positions of Ukrainian troops for ten times after 19:00, September 5. Nobody was hurt.

en.itar-tass.com...

From your own source...way to cherry pick an article.

Maybe the separatists will think twice before doing that again during a cease fire.

The article is a he says she says...and you only post the one side...way to read stuff.

edit on 6-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The article is a he says she says...and you only post the one side...way to read stuff.

Where exactly in this article that makes it a he said she said article?

No I showed the important part you wanted to leave out so it looked as though Ukraine was violating the ceasefire when even your own separatists were guilty of just that.

Was that statement not relevant to the thread topic, and that's why you left it?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Ukrainian sources said...

....oh wait, I forgot only Kiev sources tell the truth according to you, sorry my mistake.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I hope it lasts, for the sake of the Ukrainian citizens.
I suppose I see it as a stalemate in a way - the West have failed to really paint Putin as the next Hitler, and as it stands Ukraine still isn't in the EU.

I speculate that America was somehow hoping to profit from the whole ordeal - they were certainly involved from the start after all. So I wonder whether this was always the desired outcome, or whether the US are somehow out of pocket. I personally think Ukraine would fare better if they aligned themselves with BRICS rather than the EU, but I guess it remains to be seen.

All I really hope to see is an end to the killing. Far too many innocent lives have been lost in this world of late. In reality though, I don't ever see Ukraine being united enough to see it's population content, there are too many different groups wanting different things for the country.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Ukrainian sources said...

Oh I see now, although it was from a Russian media source but it used a Ukrainian source it's not the truth, but then this same media source that just showed a supposed lie is now somehow telling the truth...and you don't see something wrong there?

....oh wait, I forgot only Kiev sources tell the truth according to you, sorry my mistake.

You said it I didn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join