It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addicted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Here we go again.

I haven't been on in months ATS. Due to not having le interwebs, but the hospital has free wifi so...

Yup. Once again I lie in an uncomfortable hospital bed, partially nude with an IV pumping something into my veins.

Why, you ask?

Well...

I'm a junkie. An addict.

They've got me hooked friends. I've tried to quit on several occasions but each time I relapse. I'm weak, I admit it.

I'm addicted to the soda. The pop, whatever you hipsters are calling these days. I'm hooked.

Kidney stones.

Oh, it hurts. Agony. I need to quit drinking soda. You should too.

Kallisti

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I feel your pain Cagliostro. I am addicted as well. My father passed away several weeks ago after fighting the good fight for months on end. I don't tell you that for any other reason than to say his kidneys had started failing. He was addicted too. Even after watching and living through that... I sit in the same boat as you do.

Those sodas are a cruel mistress and one not easily dumped for any reason. I hope you feel much better soon, and may we all have a bit more strength to do what we know we need to.

He's to a speedy recovery!

It's water... so drink it.

It may have fluoride in it though. I can't do everything.
And close your gown for cripe's sake.... nobody wants to see that. It looks like to malamute puppies going in for a milkbone.

edit on 9/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

*closes gown flushing with embarrassment*

Ahem... the... uh... whatsamudrenadol must be kicking in I thought I was standing on a breezy mountain top... not that we have breezy mountain tops in Florida but...

Seriously though the soda is harsh. I keep telling myself "hey, you haven't got any other vices!" But I keep landing on the hopsital... *sigh* ... maybe this will be the kick in the gown split I need to kick the toxic juice.

It reminds me of the "Futurama" episode wherein Fry learns that his favorite soft drink "slurm" is actually the product of giant slug aliens. Yet he continues to drink it even when the choice is between life and death.

Stupid.

Hey, thanks for the water. It's... flouridey but refreshing, this whosamawhatsidol is making me thirsty...

edit on Cam1Friday3920142930Fri, 05 Sep 2014 01:39:29 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: typomuwhatsadol

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

The whosamawhatsidol ALWAYS makes you thirsty. Whether it's from a needle or swallowing a pill. It'll dry you out like the Sahara for sure!

And thanks for closing the gown... the hospitals always keep it too cold.

We all have our vices. We also all continuously say "I'll start tomorrow", but tomorrow never gets here. One day we wake up and it's too late.

I drink about 6 cans of soda a day. I KNOW that is terrible. Hopefully you can do better than that. You could just beat yourself up for doing stuff like that. I know. I was smoking outside the hospital after being admitted for pneumonia. I'm smoke free now but not because of that. It's ridiculous, but it is human nature as well.

It's hard.
edit on 9/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

It reminds me of the "Futurama" episode wherein Fry learns that his favorite soft drink "slurm" is actually the product of giant slug aliens.

The "Slurm" is sugar.

It takes a ton of sugar to make "soft drinks" sweet.

You aren't addicted to "Soda" as much as to the sugar in it.

If there was no sugar no one would drink it.

How much sweetner?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm addicted also but i limit myself to 32 ounces per week and drink plenty of water and tea
Don't drink more than 20 ounces a day, your kidneys will thank you

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

What it is is addicting.

Sugar, caffeine... worm paste... makes no difference really, I got hooked on the junk and, like Kanga, I drink upwards to six 12 oz. cans per day (yes outrageous).

All I know is I need to stop. And yesterday won't be soon enough.

I freaking hate hospitals. I always feel like the next scene is where I find zombies locked up someplace.

*shudders*

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Unfortunately I don't think my kidneys will ever forgive me.

Its too bad the water here tastes like it was syphoned from a public pool.

And bottled is right out for this poor boy.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
So sorry to hear that
I've passed a Kidney stone. It was...horrible. And I agree soda is the devil and I can't seem to completely stop either. I wish you luck and hope the pain stops soon.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It's not your fault.

It's water's fault for being the fluid equivalent of Kristen Stewart's acting.

Actually, I remember from reading up on kidney stones when my wife had one that two of the biggest dietary risks were animal proteins and sodium. Soda is not high in either of those things unless you're drinking one of these.

Perhaps you're not drinking ENOUGH soda? It's important to stay hydrated afterall. Maybe adding a glass or two of some sort of juice to the mix might help?

I've had my own soda habit pretty much since I was weened off the bottle. These days I drink Diet Dr. Pepper, preferably Cherry. I've also picked up a more expensive Monster habit so I'm always on the hunt for Monster Zero Ultra on sale. I guess I could go old school and find somebody around here selling Jolt.
edit on 2014-9-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Unfortunately I don't think my kidneys will ever forgive me.

Its too bad the water here tastes like it was syphoned from a public pool.

And bottled is right out for this poor boy.

invest in a PUR filter, clears that chlorine taste right up and theyre good for about 1-2 months depending on the contaminant content

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Malynn

The pain is gone...

Thanks to the hunmawhatsadol...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Well, thanks for keeping my mind occupied for the evening friends. I've been discharged so I must also relinquish the free wifi.

Kallisti

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

What it is is addicting.

I was addicted to cigarettes for thirty five years. They killed me, I'm just not dead yet. In the meantime somehow, I was allowed to quit.

I have an addictive personality. I was trained to be an addict in my formative years. If I quit one thing I start another. Its not the thing that I abuse to quell the pain but the problem within me that I use whatever "drug" (sugar is a drug) to forget my problems. I didn't really care about me or anything except my next "fix".

Sugar isn't as forgiving as nicotine.You won't get too many more "go rounds" with that. I bet they are telling you this in the Hospital. I wouldn't trade you my Emphysema for your diabetes, either. But lots of people die from both, its a fools lot.

I hope you see your folly and begin the struggle to rise above it.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I've never understood the addiction to soda. I've watched family members and others get so fat and unhealthy drinking a 44oz + a day from 7-11. Kidney stones galore!

Do people not understand how bad that much processed sugar is for you? I drink pop only when I chase my liquor!

I suppose people could say the same about my love for drinking though but whatever I'm just happy I'm at a healthy weight and have never had any kidney stones. Drink too much water for that.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Look, my husband managed to do it, and so can you. He finally kicked Coke (and pop) to the curb earlier this year. It helps that he had me there who was forcibly weaned off the stuff by my medication about 5 or 6 years earlier to nag him into it, but it did take me about three years.

Now, he's afraid to drink anything carbonated for fear of getting hooked back on it. I suggested he have an Italian soda at a coffee shop, and he wouldn't do it.

Seriously, coffee, tea, juice, lots of water. You best friends. Learn to love 'em, and once you get your palate retrained not to expect as much sugar, it gets a lot easier.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Greetings My feline friend or In Your words "Mew, mew meOW".. I see that You reside in Flori-DUH? I too call Fl. My current ecological niche. The crap You're drinking isn't "good for You" (see those tubes?...) The corn used for making that crap is of the lowest grade, perhaps You've read about GMOs? Have You a dog? See His/Her corn when they're 'done doing duty'? That corn is of a higher grade then the corn used in that soda.. (Here is a GREAT thing You missed not being home, I just now received a phone solicitation in Spanish wanting Me to vote for Marco Rubio emanating from a cell phone in D.C. ) so You missed that..

Even if the crap is labelled as "diet" the 'avg.' person will add 12-15 lbs. of unwanted weight each year. I'd also opine that Your blood pressure and 'bad cholesterol' is also elevated?

I HAD the same "Jones" and since switching to water My b/p is 101/67. My cholesterol is 153. And I'm OFF the 4 different meds that I was taking...

The human body is 70% water below the neck and 80% above. You ARE water. The Tao Te Ching even addresses this fine point... If this was 1975 I'd suggest drinking out of an area lake but because it is 1990something they're ALL "green" although I Love 'green' (heart chakra) the "green" of the lake is more akin to a "turd brown/green" NO Bueno (Jeez, I must've got some osmosis from that robocall in Esapnola)

Crystal Light™ makes an excellent cherry/pom 'antioxidant' and so does Mio™.

Remember to vote in November for some "better meds"

namaste

P.S. "Stay thirsty My friend..."

top topics

join