It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOSTON: 9 arrested during fast-food workers rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Here is a story in Boston Massachusetts of how a proper non-violent protest is both done and handled by police. The protest is about the low minimum wage for fast-food workers. Whether I agree with the demands of the protesters or not is irrelevant for this discussion. What I'd like to point out is "the other side of the coin" for the interaction between police and protesters. It does happen peacefully, although you'll notice to coverage is all of about 2 minutes on the local WCVB news. If the protests were more violent, or the police were decked out in para-military kit riding in on humvees, I'll bet the coverage would be a lot longer than this was.

Link to video on WCVB TV Website (sorry I cannot embed it here directly)

Note a few important items in the video:

1. The police are in standard law enforcement uniforms, not para-military "camos"
  2. The police equipment used is standard police gear and not military surplus
  3. The protesters are actually non-violent, and are passively resisting
  4. The protestors are not threatening the police and/or on the verge of a riot
  5. The officer addressing them is polite and explains that if they do not move in 5 minutes they will be arrested (calmly and without any weapon drawn)
  6. The arrests are done peacefully and with respect between protester and officers

The point I'm trying to make is that not all police interaction needs to be violent. And, folks, it does happen this way more times than many know. But, unfortunately, the MSM doesn't make any $$ selling advertising time in these type of stories. Why is that you may ask? Because of US, yes us....the viewers. The majority of viewers, whether you admit it or not, want to see carnage, violence, shouting, and looting. That sells....fluffy bunny stories don't. So, until we ourselves as viewers stop cheering for the violent stories, and stop being GLUED to the box for them, that is what will be served to us more than the norm. This gives the impression that this type of interaction never happens...when in reality, it does (more than you think).

I'll be the first to call out an inappropriate conflict between a cop and a citizen. And that DOES happen more than it should. But, I also am not going to be deluded and led like a sheep by the off-balance "reporting" of the MSM megalith either.

edit on 9/4/2014 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Here is a story in Boston Massachusetts of how a proper non-violent protest is both done and handled by police. The protest is about the low minimum wage for fast-food workers. Whether I agree with the demands of the protesters or not is irrelevant for this discussion. What I'd like to point out is "the other side of the coin" for the interaction between police and protesters. It does happen peacefully, although you'll notice to coverage is all of about 2 minutes on the local WCVB news. If the protests were more violent, or the police were decked out in para-military kit riding in on humvees, I'll bet the coverage would be a lot longer than this was.

Link to video on WCVB TV Website (sorry I cannot embed it here directly)

Note a few important items in the video:

1. The police are in standard law enforcement uniforms, not para-military "camos"
  2. The police equipment used is standard police gear and not military surplus
  3. The protesters are actually non-violent, and are passively resisting
  4. The protestors are not threatening the police and/or on the verge of a riot
  5. The officer addressing them is polite and explains that if they do not move in 5 minutes they will be arrested (calmly and without any weapon drawn)
  6. The arrests are done peacefully and with respect between protester and officers

The point I'm trying to make is that not all police interaction needs to be violent. And, folks, it does happen this way more times than many know. But, unfortunately, the MSM doesn't make any $$ selling advertising time in these type of stories. Why is that you may ask? Because of US, yes us....the viewers. The majority of viewers, whether you admit it or not, want to see carnage, violence, shouting, and looting. That sells....fluffy bunny stories don't. So, until we ourselves as viewers stop cheering for the violent stories, and stop being GLUED to the box for them, that is what will be served to us more than the norm. This gives the impression that this type of interaction never happens...when in reality, it does (more than you think).

I'll be the first to call out an inappropriate conflict between a cop and a citizen. And that DOES happen more than it should. But, I also am not going to be deluded and led like a sheep by the off-balance "reporting" of the MSM megalith either.

well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. They DID do things non-violently.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think the key here was both parties knew what they were doing.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Boston is both a beautiful city and beautiful waterfront. It's clean, people are nice and the weather is decent. I'd love to move to Boston. Boston puts my dump of a city, Philly, to shame.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
In addition, I'd like to remind folks that the Boston Police Dept does have all those military hand-me-downs. They are the same force that were deployed to go after the Marathon bombers. And at that time, all of ATS was up in arms over their military tactics and gear. The thing is, there is a time and a place for them, and to be used in tracking down and apprehending terrorists, I think that qualifies as fair use of the military tech. In this instance, it was not called for, so, it was not used.

Its as simple as using the right tool for the right job IMO. And, the Boston Police Dept, even with their flaws, do make these decisions wisely, and demonstrate it for all to see. Am I saying there are no bad cops on that force, no, I'm not. Take any large number of humans, you will have a diverse list of personalities, and some of them will be a-holes. Have you ever been to a large party and not run into on of "those guys"? I didn't think so....its a fact of life. Unfortunately, in that profession (LE), it can be a deadly mistake very quickly.

edit on 9/4/2014 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Here's another report from the same protest in Boston. In this one, it clarifies that the 9 protesters were eventually not really arrested. They were, instead, given summons' to appear in court on disturbing the peace charges. In this way, they do not have any black marks on their records either I suppose.

Link to NECN Report

I have also noticed that this report was also only about a 2 minute segment.

edit on 9/4/2014 by Krakatoa because: Updated the link to direct story page

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Can't watch the video right now but if they were peaceful and not breaking laws why were the police involved at all. They have the right to assemble peacefully and if they were doing that then the police and city should be taken to court.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

They were sitting in the middle of a busy intersection, blocking traffic. They were asked to leave and given 5 minutes. Those that did not were helped up, calmly zip tied, and led (with respect) to what we affectionately call the "Patty Wagon" for transport to the station. They were detained in order to resume the normal traffic in the city.

Stills taken from WCVB TV video:

Sitting in the street

Giving a 5 minute warning to leave

Visiting the "Patty Wagon"

edit on 9/4/2014 by Krakatoa because: Added screen shots from video

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

They were sitting in the middle of a busy intersection, blocking traffic. They were asked to leave and given 5 minutes. Those that did not were helped up, calmly zip tied, and led (with respect) to what we affectionately call the "Patty Wagon" for transport to the station. They were detained in order to resume the normal traffic in the city.

Ok fair enough sounds legit. Happy to see the situation was resolved without violence.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I am happy that the people went there understanding what to do and, were told what the consequences of their actions would be. These adults chose to accept the consequence as part of the protest. I'm very proud of them!
edit on 4-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

edit on 4-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Good thing the protesters have a job they could lose if they get arrested !!

"Conduct outside of the workplace" is a rule with some companies.

And I'm sure the police respect all those who serve them at Dunkin Donuts at break time !!!

Glad the SWAT Teams and Military stuff was held back.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

You asked an honest question and received an honest answer and replied accordingly and respectfully.

I wish many posters here would follow your example. But I must also say, I'm guilty as well sometimes. I need to follow your example as well..

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
From the looks of those in the picture I guess they would need "helped up"

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Its sad, but they wont see $15.00, they will get canned and someone else will get their jobs. The corporations dont care. The employees are just numbers. They will get people that will fill those positions just as fast in this current economy.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well I'm from the Boston Area, you might recall the "Boston Marathon Bombing" where Cambridge (adjoining City) declared Martial Law and footage from Watertown (next town over)

Perhaps Police learned then that Public was not happy to see the Militarized Cops on the Streets.

Regarding the Pay Raise. Damn Right they deserve more. $15 sounds good. Every State that has upped there Minimum Wage has experienced Economic Growth. The Rich Pigs that Control this Country are too Greedy to recognize this because they need immediate results to get a plusher cushion under there fat ass's.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Well I'm from the Boston Area, you might recall the "Boston Marathon Bombing" where Cambridge (adjoining City) declared Martial Law and footage from Watertown (next town over)

Perhaps Police learned then that Public was not happy to see the Militarized Cops on the Streets.

Regarding the Pay Raise. Damn Right they deserve more. $15 sounds good. Every State that has upped there Minimum Wage has experienced Economic Growth. The Rich Pigs that Control this Country are too Greedy to recognize this because they need immediate results to get a plusher cushion under there fat ass's.

I am, lets say quite familiar with Boston Police too. And to your point, I stated that in my post a little later on BTW...

In addition, I'd like to remind folks that the Boston Police Dept does have all those military hand-me-downs. They are the same force that were deployed to go after the Marathon bombers. And at that time, all of ATS was up in arms over their military tactics and gear. The thing is, there is a time and a place for them, and to be used in tracking down and apprehending terrorists, I think that qualifies as fair use of the military tech. In this instance, it was not called for, so, it was not used.

Its as simple as using the right tool for the right job IMO. And, the Boston Police Dept, even with their flaws, do make these decisions wisely, and demonstrate it for all to see. Am I saying there are no bad cops on that force, no, I'm not. Take any large number of humans, you will have a diverse list of personalities, and some of them will be a-holes. Have you ever been to a large party and not run into on of "those guys"? I didn't think so....its a fact of life. Unfortunately, in that profession (LE), it can be a deadly mistake very quickly.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sorry about that, penalized for not reading your entire post. (hangs head in shame)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

No apology needed...no worries. I was just pointing out that great minds think like sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Dr. King would be proud,, the originator of the "Sit-In".

top topics

join