It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pizza crust aficionados enter!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
People who throw out their pizza crusts need not apply! That little roll of baked crunchy dough at the end of a slice is actually my favorite part. It's like a little kiss goodnight after a grand ball! If I'm feeling a bit tender, pizza crusts go well with a drizzle of honey. If I'm feeling a bit uncouth, will go with a regional favorite, ranch dressing

When I make homemade pizza I use about the laziest, most simple pizza crust recipe I know of: flour + olive oil + nothing else. Actually, as plain as it is, it happens to be the most delicious pizza crush I've ever tasted.

I would be interested in trying something different but am not quite sure what to do with pizza crusts.

Any ideas to add some zap, zing, or zest? What additional flavors and textures can I experiment with?

Please share your best pizza crust ideas and recipes!

edit on 4-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Consider cutting up the pizza dough into something approximating tortilla chip shapes (like, triangular) then bake until crispy.

Make up a salsa with italian flavors (such as tomato, fresh basil, perhaps bits of mozz or some parmesan) to dip with the .. umm.. pizza chips?

Or arrange the chips on a cookie sheet and liberally apply such italian goodness as described above for the italian salsa: shredded mozz, parmesan, fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, perhaps even an italian type ham or italian sausage or pepporoni... then bake in an oven until the cheesy goodness melts.

Call it Pachos! Pizza nachos..

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

When I had my restaurants I made both Neapolitan and American style pizza dough.

The average pizza eater preferred the later which consisted of:

Flour
    Sugar
    Salt
    Olive Oil
    Yeast
    Warm Water

This was then proofed overnight.

The Neapolitan style had less ingredients but required more work:

000 Flour
    Natural Yeast
    Salt
    Water

This was proofed for a week then used as a starter to make more dough. It helped develop a more sour-dough like flavor and texture and the crust would puff up greatly along the edge. The aficionados liked this style better and this is still what I make at home when I make pizza for friends.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Throw a little yeast in there with some seasoning salt,

The kicker, add Dried chili peppers to the Dough for some heat...yeast loves this stuff. Don't roll the edges...use a stone at 450 Degrees, lay it flat, top ...enjoy!

Peace

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
...use a stone at 450 Degrees, lay it flat, top ...enjoy!

My next project is going to be a pizza oven in the back yard.

I miss being able to get temps of 900-1100* which can cook a pizza in about 30-45 seconds. The nice thing is they get so hot that you can still cook bread in there the next day without reigniting the fire.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I spent 4 years in restaurant management of an Italian food / pizza place, the dough was made daily by hand and I taught the chefs how to make the dough, the proving, portioning etc and each chef, although following the recipe made different dough and I could tell each from the other, I would know who made the dough for that day just from looking. Everybody has their own baking 'signature', a unique way that shows in the product.

I do bake at home, breads including pizza and other things, pastries, cakes, biscuits etc. simple ingredients baked well can be amazingly flavourful.

My fav pizza dough is a simple dough made with good, strong bread flour, organic is best IMO for flavour, live or instant yeast with a teaspoon of sugar, plenty of salt, some pepper, and decently warm water, it is an important variable when using instant yeast, decent olive oil though used after mixing the dough for shaping or drizzling, salted minced garlic mixed with butter spread on top and optional cheese, best baked on a stone in a wood fired or very hot oven.
edit on 4-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: jude11
...use a stone at 450 Degrees, lay it flat, top ...enjoy!

My next project is going to be a pizza oven in the back yard.

I miss being able to get temps of 900-1100* which can cook a pizza in about 30-45 seconds. The nice thing is they get so hot that you can still cook bread in there the next day without reigniting the fire.

That's the way to go.

Some great stuff here for that oven:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Great thread and I am not ashamed to admit that is where I saw it mentioned.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Anyone have a good potato dough recipe?

I tried it a few years ago and failed miserably.
I did a pizza with cream corn as the sauce,a layer of steak,a layer of onions and a bunch of cheese.
I failed so bad...I just ate the toppings because the dough sucked and the pizza dough wasn't edible.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Do you mean using potato flour instead of wheat flour for a pizza base?

I also have a potato scone recipe, those are well known in Scotland and Ireland, I like them lightly pan fried as it increases the flavour.

www.foodnetwork.com...
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Since I moved to Flori-DUH, I haven't had a good pizza and "Yes" I've been to both The Mall at Millennia and the Sbarros™ on the "Turdpike", sure I was "touching cotton" before the last toll booth and "painted the rim" when I got home but I wanted some pizza pie. I'm thinking it has to do with the water? 20 years ago they were 'crystal clear' now they're a forest green.

I've since discovered the local DollarStore™ and now I just turn the heat up on some Pop-Tarts™ I'm thinking about redeeming some E-Rewards™ and fly up to NYC and do a "Gastronomy Tour"...

I saw an ad for a new one at LittleCaesars™ that looked like it might "stay down"...

Mangia for You and those fortunate to find a good pizza, heck I tried PapaJohns™ Pulled Pork and ended up getting an oily platter with 4 pieces of "pork" I went to the PapaJohn™ farcebook™ site and "Let em have it" I've since sent back 3 coupons for FREE crap ..

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I have a recipe that I use for gnocchi but I don't think it would work to well as a pizza dough.

How much potato or potato flour did you put in? Most recipes use between 1/4 to 1/2 potato/potato flour ratio with the rest being bread flour.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Your post made me smile

Maybe I should have gone in the direction of best frozen pizzas to try

Good luck either finding a good pizza place or perfecting a homemade recipe

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

How much potato or potato flour did you put in?

I am not sure because it was years ago...all I know is I had a massive fail or poopy the bed moment and never tried it again.
It really was garbage but I would love to get back on the horse that kicked me off if anyone can lend a hand.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Maybe I should have gone in the direction of best frozen pizzas to try

You would be summarily beaten about the head and neck with a pizza peel if you did.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Sure:

Gnocchi
    Serves 12 (you can freeze for weeks)

3lbs Russet potatoes
    2 cups all purpose flour
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup olive oil

Peel and boil potatoes. Let cool slightly. Pass through a ricer. Bring six quarts water to boil and prepare and ice bath. Turn potatoes out on work surface and make a well. Sprinkle with flour and salt. Crack eggs into center an mix to incorporate. Knead into a ball and then another 4 minutes (it should be dry to the touch, add more flour if necessary). Divide into six balls. Working with one while keeping the others covered with a moist towel, roll into a log 3/4" thick and then cut into 1" pieces. Flick them with a fork to give them the proper gnocchi shape and then place into boiling water. When they float remove from water and plunge into ice bath. Once cool remove to a bowl and toss with olive oil. Repeat with remaining balls.

Use immediately or freeze.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Off-topic--I don't suppose you can slip me a recipe for potato pancakes while you're discussing potato gnocchi?

I always seem to mess 'em up!

edit on 4-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Sweet or savory?

I have one I use for blinis and another that is more like a pancake.

edit on 4-9-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Talkin' 'bout these bad boys with some applesauce..not sure what you'd call them exactly.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Ahhhh. Those potato pancakes. Dur.

Here we go:

Potato Pancakes
Makes about 12-14

2 cups coarsely grated potatoes, preferably baking or all-purpose (you need extra starch)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated onion (I make my wife do this, try it)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4-1/2 cup butter

Peel and grate potatoes and place on a dish towel. Wring out as tightly as possible to remove as much water as you can. Mix with next 4 ingredients. Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle butter into pan, swirl and the place spoonful's of potato mixture into skillet. Cook until brown on the bottom (check heat, you may need to reduce to medium). Flip and cook 3-5 minutes more until brown and crisp. Remove to cookie sheet lined with paper towel and place in oven with lowest setting until remainder are cooked.

I like to serve with horseradish sauce and fresh minced chives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join