It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Stunning New Map Reveals For The First Time Where Our Galaxy Fits Into The Universe

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
all i can really say to that is wow

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The universe is an explosion.
It is still exploding.
Gravity is the force of that explosion.
The explosion caused an imbalance.
Slightly more matter than anti-matter.
Thus setting the bar for all things beautiful.
It is the imbalance of things, their imperfections, that catches our eyes.
Beauty is in the flaws.
The entire history of mankind past present and future happens within an explosion-in-progress.
How ironic that we like to blow things up so much.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I always knew we were the left ventricle.
Now where's my banana bacon sammich?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Wow! If this is mind boggling, imagine the one who crated it?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: edmc^2

It was Atum playing with himself.
According to the Ancient Egyptians or Khemists if you prefer
the correct term.
I know!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak

originally posted by: edmc^2

It was Atum playing with himself.
According to the Ancient Egyptians or Khemists if you prefer
the correct term.
I know!

Nah! He's a weakling pathetic god who was not even able to hold his own ground against his slaves the Israelites.

Try again.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

One day, all these theories will be resolved, one universe, multiverse, simulation, and all that. Brain circuity makes me wonder about the simulation...

It is already well understood. Matter under the action of force tends to dispose itself in similar ways at different scales. That's why a coastline, for example, has the same form whether you look at it from a height of a few metres, or several hundred kilometres. It's why veins in leaves look like river deltas. And so on.

There are plenty of exciting mysteries concerning the real world, without having to get into the doubtful mystic stuff.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sorry, they can say what they like, but if the universe curves in on itself (because time) then every distance from here to the "edge" is equal, and that puts us right at the center of the universe, not off in the boondocks somewhere. I don't know where people get the idea that the universe is a balloon with dust floating around in it. It's a multi-dimensional torus, constantly folding in on itself from the micro to the macro scales.

I mean, not that it matters on a practical level. Nobody's flying off to the edge of the universe anytime soon. But I think it's a misrepresentation not to at least try to present it as it actually exists.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

It just seems almost unfathomable for the human mind to comprehend the number of stars and planetary bodies in our own galaxy much less the number of stars and planets that exist in galaxies within superclusters that number in the millions, within the known universe even.

The numbers almost become meaningless like the number of sand pebbles on a beach.

Imagine telling an alien where you live from a neighboring cluster.
I live on the planet Earth located in the Milky Way Galaxy within the Laniakea Super Cluster on the far edge of the Universe.

I think of this song when I think of the Milky Way

And to think

Up until the early 1920s, most astronomers thought that all of the stars in the universe were contained inside of the Milky Way. Following the 1920 Great Debate between the astronomers Harlow Shapley and Heber Curtis,[19] observations by Edwin Hubble definitively showed that the Milky Way is just one of many billions of galaxies.[20]
edit on 6-9-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Sorry, they can say what they like, but if the universe curves in on itself (because time) then every distance from here to the "edge" is equal, and that puts us right at the center of the universe, not off in the boondocks somewhere. I don't know where people get the idea that the universe is a balloon with dust floating around in it. It's a multi-dimensional torus, constantly folding in on itself from the micro to the macro scales.

I mean, not that it matters on a practical level. Nobody's flying off to the edge of the universe anytime soon. But I think it's a misrepresentation not to at least try to present it as it actually exists.

Watched/listened to a lot of Nassim Haramein haven’t you? I am attracted to that theory as well, but at the end of the day, Big Bang, M-theory, Harramein's theory, Holographic Universe, Creationism, Dream World are just that...they are theories. Surprisingly, there is evidence for each and every one of these theories which is why I can't wait until science starts to resolve them. In my own opinion, I think along the same lines as you but beleive their is some holographicness going on there.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
I understand and know what you said but I am confused how it relates to the quote you used by me. I am not sure how scales of life/universe and the immense similarity at every level pertain to different cosmological theories, especially when each recognizes that exact fact. Can you elaborate for me please or maybe you took the wrong portion of my text?

Also, what "doubtful mystic stuff"?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
We are part of a tiny booger on the sleeve of some giant.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
All this we can see, and we have not even gone in person to a neighboring planet.

What is interesting is that we are near one of the cluster/veins, and not isolated in one of the many voids. (If that makes any difference if we ever go intergalactic.)

The scale from planet to galaxy is unimaginable, as is galaxy to superclusters or universe. I wonder if there is any life in the same unimaginable scale of the other direction to the very small. Maybe there is life and universe in every grain of sand.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Reply to: AllSourceIntel

I understand and know what you said but I am confused how it relates to the quote you used by me. I am not sure how scales of life/universe and the immense similarity at every level pertain to different cosmological theories, especially when each recognizes that exact fact. Can you elaborate for me please or maybe you took the wrong portion of my text?

You were agreeing with someone who compared the structure of the universe to that of the brain (a completely specious comparison, incidentally, since what is being compared is not a pair of visual images but, in each case, a highly abstract representation derived from specific properties of the entity concerned, not its general appearance).

The next step along that road for many people (not necessarily for you) is that 'the universe is a giant brain'. That's where the doubtful mystic stuff begins.

The other stuff you mentioned — multiverses, the universe as hologram or simulation — are just theoretical speculations that are not eliminated by mathematical or physical factors we know of. I know there are lots of pop-sci articles in the media talking about pretended 'evidence' for them, but in reality nothing has been found or can be found to help us establish these things even as probabilities. They are questions that will probably never be answered.

edit on 6/9/14 by Astyanax because: it was garbled.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
nice but this images are computer generated images
please post real images taken by hubble space telescope.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ujwaleshwar123456789
nice but this images are computer generated images
please post real images taken by hubble space telescope.

These computer generated images show the results of scientific research. The Hubble just shows pretty galaxies, but can't show in which direction they are moving.

You can find tons of Hubble images on the Internet, but this thread is not about them.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to and but sidetracked ...

It's amazing isn't it? For me, it reminded me of how absolutely small we are and how very little we know about the multiverse. The first things I thought of when I saw that ... a lot of what I have been concerned about in life and spent my time on really just doesn't matter. It's too small to matter. It was a spiritual teaching moment for me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BeingBlessed
I don't think it is far-fetched at all. What if Intelligent life (high-energy life forms) are needed for further expansion of the universe? Something I've been chewing over for awhile now...so many possibilities, but so much we still need to learn.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
As we keep learning about the Universe it's hard to say such a structure happened without help.

Ps 19:1

The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship.

And even if you don't believe that, ponder the Fermi Paradox then.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join