It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look like il be going to japan instead.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Instead of America I'm ended up with a little change, I have a flight and rental apartment booked in Tokyo......

So anyone been? What should I look out for? Advice?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Instead of America I'm ended up with a little change, I have a flight and rental apartment booked in Tokyo......

So anyone been? What should I look out for? Advice?

Can you mail me some of those 30 minute ebola sample tests they've invented over there?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I can fit in a suitcase and will be your Butler for a while

Expat is the one you need to speak to.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Look out for the radiation. It's a killer.
Unless you assume that the PR talk from the Japanese government and the nuclear energy companies are fully correct and everything is almost hunky-dory or will be as soon they fix the current problem. "Course, they have no timetable on that because the don't know what to do about it yet.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Knew that was coming lol It is ATS afterall

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Knew that was coming lol It is ATS afterall

Yeah

O no my chance of cancer may increase by 0.00000000000000000000000001%
Cause I plan on rolling round in a nuclear reactor while there

edit on 4-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

If you like fruit, eat as much as you can NOW! I had a friend and ex-sister in law who lived there for a while. Fruit was ungodly expensive. They have used panty vending machines, too. No fooling. Turns out, we Yanks got them into ladies undergarments during the Post-War period.
Crowds. Be prepared for people on top of people in certain areas.
Be prepared to drink copious amounts of liquor and be on task the next morning.

Be safe and have a fun!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

If you like fruit, eat as much as you can NOW! I had a friend and ex-sister in law who lived there for a while. Fruit was ungodly expensive. They have used panty vending machines, too. No fooling. Turns out, we Yanks got them into ladies undergarments during the Post-War period.
Crowds. Be prepared for people on top of people in certain areas.
Be prepared to drink copious amounts of liquor and be on task the next morning.

Be safe and have a fun!

Im only there on holiday for 2 weeks so I can afford to get piss drunk
Any way Im English, only people that can out drink me are Scots and Russian! My liver is above your puny Americans haha

I know about the fruit, its a shame as I love fruit but can live without it for 2 weeks.
edit on 4-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I lived there for 2 month, ok Yokohama... but I spent most of my time in Tokyo.
If you have some time, you should visit Minato Mirai and China Town in Yokohama.
You can easily reach it via subway from Shibuya.

And yes, fruits are damn expensive there, but restaurants are pretty cheap compared to rest and the quality you get.
If you are into nerd stuff, and even if not, visit Akihabara. It is worth a visit!
You have never seen such a nerdy place and will never see one more nerdy.

Be prepared to meet a lot of strange, but friendly people. Even though Tokyo is more reserved than Osaka, I love Osaka way more because of that, you will always meet friendly people.
Also be prepared that most people don't speak English, but they try to help you anyway.
If you ask for a way, ask a 2nd and maybe a 3rd person.... they all will point you to different ways
, because even if they do not know they way, they will try to help you

Ahh this is my third edit now, but I always find something more what I want to say.
Please visit Kabukicho and Shinjuku at night, you will have a lot of fun.
edit on 4-9-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

First thing that popped into my head when i read this thread , many years ago a red haired friend lived there and was stared at all the time people even came up and touched her hair because it was so unusual at the time

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Oh and get one of those hats they wear (check out my new thread) they are so practical for rain.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It would be nice if you could take a ride out to Fuki and take some close up pictures of all the people walking around in those special suits.

Don't worry, they won't be trying to grab you, you may rip their suits.

Where are you staying in Japan? What kind of special foods are you going to try there? How come I always think about food, even when I see a big spider that looks like a crab?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thats because they are related.

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh man I would love to go to Japan and eat the Sushi.
Ewok take some pics of the food you eat please
Oh and have a great time

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I lived just south of Tokyo for three years back in the 1980s. Things have changed since then, I"m sure. But here are a few things to think about ...

- No real milk. If you are a milk drinker, be prepared. (us Americans love milk). The 'milk' they have there is some kind of fake crap that is coconut oil mixed with powdered milk or something. YUK. Tokyo Disneyland has real milk. Its about the only place that had any when I was there.

- No beef. Well ... there IS beef but you will pay more than you could possibly believe.

- Gotta try the Fugu (blow fish); the yakisoba; the gyoza; and for drinking ... sochusours. Sochu is a potato whiskey and they put something 'sour' in it. Tasted like liquid sweet tarts. They'll kick your backend.

- Kentucky Fried Chicken has an ice cream dessert that is pretty good. They have real cocoa beans in it. And they have great CORN SOUP. LOVED IT. Seriously ... hit a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Tokyo.

- Earthquakes. They happen. A lot. Unless it's over a 4.5 or so, most people just keep on moving. Except the trains. They'll stop for each and every quake. The earthquakes come in two kinds ... the back and forth kind (4.0 or smaller) and the up and down kind (4.5 or higher). At least, that's how we kept track of them when I was there. And the big ones really do rumble ahead of time. You can hear the ground rumble ...

- Tokyo Disneyland. It's small but do it.

- Mt. Fuji. This is a 'must do'. There is also a park at a mountain next to Mt. Fuji. There are hot springs and the Japanese custom is to eat eggs boiled in the hot springs. It's supposed to make girls pretty and boys handsome.

- See the castles. This is a 'must do'.

- Kamakura. Take the train into old Kamakura. See 'The Great Buddha'. There are lots of shrines and very old creepy cemeteries there as well. This is a 'must do'.

- Day trip to Nagoya. The fertility fest is in March so you wont be there for it. But you should go anyways.

- One last thing ... stay out of the ocean. When I was there the Tokyo harbor and surrounding water was seriously polluted. People went in, but they were swimming in chemicals and pollution. Stay out of the ocean water. I doubt it's gotten cleaner since I was there. If anything, I'm sure it's probably worse.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Look out for the radiation. It's a killer.
Unless you assume that the PR talk from the Japanese government and the nuclear energy companies are fully correct and everything is almost hunky-dory or will be as soon they fix the current problem. "Course, they have no timetable on that because the don't know what to do about it yet.

The radiation is reaching the West Coast of the USA as well

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

edit on 4-9-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

No it is not.

This guy Thunderfoot knows his stuff I suggest you all watch the vid.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I lived just south of Tokyo for three years back in the 1980s. Things have changed since then, I"m sure. But here are a few things to think about ...

- No real milk. If you are a milk drinker, be prepared. (us Americans love milk). The 'milk' they have there is some kind of fake crap that is coconut oil mixed with powdered milk or something. YUK. Tokyo Disneyland has real milk. Its about the only place that had any when I was there.

- No beef. Well ... there IS beef but you will pay more than you could possibly believe.

- Gotta try the Fugu (blow fish); the yakisoba; the gyoza; and for drinking ... sochusours. Sochu is a potato whiskey and they put something 'sour' in it. Tasted like liquid sweet tarts. They'll kick your backend.

- Kentucky Fried Chicken has an ice cream dessert that is pretty good. They have real cocoa beans in it. And they have great CORN SOUP. LOVED IT. Seriously ... hit a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Tokyo.

- Earthquakes. They happen. A lot. Unless it's over a 4.5 or so, most people just keep on moving. Except the trains. They'll stop for each and every quake. The earthquakes come in two kinds ... the back and forth kind (4.0 or smaller) and the up and down kind (4.5 or higher). At least, that's how we kept track of them when I was there. And the big ones really do rumble ahead of time. You can hear the ground rumble ...

- Tokyo Disneyland. It's small but do it.

- Mt. Fuji. This is a 'must do'. There is also a park at a mountain next to Mt. Fuji. There are hot springs and the Japanese custom is to eat eggs boiled in the hot springs. It's supposed to make girls pretty and boys handsome.

- See the castles. This is a 'must do'.

- Kamakura. Take the train into old Kamakura. See 'The Great Buddha'. There are lots of shrines and very old creepy cemeteries there as well. This is a 'must do'.

- Day trip to Nagoya. The fertility fest is in March so you wont be there for it. But you should go anyways.

- One last thing ... stay out of the ocean. When I was there the Tokyo harbor and surrounding water was seriously polluted. People went in, but they were swimming in chemicals and pollution. Stay out of the ocean water. I doubt it's gotten cleaner since I was there. If anything, I'm sure it's probably worse.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Thanks

Looks of the places you listed seem to be on my hit list. Especially the castles.

And cheers on the EQ warning.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Check out these restaurants in Tokyo!

It starts a 4:40 in the video below!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

2 points are wrong or at least not 100% true.

You can get normal milk, but you are right, a lot of milk is not real milk.
You have to look for the one with the cow on in
or just ask. Otherwise you get soy milk, which tastes.... let's say interesting

2nd point, you can get beef everywhere. They mostly eat chicken, fish and beef.
Compared to other countries the beef, and the food in general, has a way better quality and you don't pay that much.
Maybe compared to the US, since you have large beef production yourself, but compared to my home country Germany it was really cheap (well, Japan is quite expensive, so in comparison to other prices it was cheap)

Btw. earthquakes are normally not even noticed, unless it is 4+ and you are in a quiet place (in your bed i.e.) otherwise you wont really notice it in the streets.
In my whole time in Tokyo I only encountered 2 quakes I felt (and they really scared me, I never felt something like that before)
It is an interesting feeling if you never felt one, suddenly you will feel somehow helpless.... I even quite enjoyed it after I realized it was just a small one. It showed how small we are in our world and how helpless.

All other points are really solid, but you probably would not be able to climb Mt. Fuji if you only stay 2 weeks and are untrained.
It is really exhausting and you need at least 2 days.
However you can still enjoy the beautiful view.

Ah and don't listen to the radiation warnings too much. I did my own testing when I lived there and Tokyo had lower levels than Munich here in Germany

I would not visit Fukushima though
edit on 4-9-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join