It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study finds 99.999 percent certainty humans are causing global warming

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Deny Ignorance, unless its something to do with man made climate change.....

So because we don't just hop on board w everything we hear then we are ignorant?

Coming from a forum that's notorious for telling people not to believe everything they hear or read because the powerful in this world have an agenda?

A little counter intuitive don't you think?

I find it extremely ignorant to believe anything off hand that says they are 99.9999% sure of ANYTHING w out a bit of scrutiny

^
Exactly.

But then they can't label us and use stereotypes to dismantle any critical thinking we might apply.

~Namaste
edit on 4-9-2014 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I am pretty sure I know what needs to happen next. We need to first attack the scientists who did this study. Discredit them and slag all their findings. Then show how although our Earth has had wild global temperature swings for eons, this one is man made.......Oh wait, did you say this is about MAN causing GW? Never mind, I am sure this study is right on target.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The problem with these studies is that the science has been politicized to the point of it becoming pointless. The scientists involved have lost all credibility. The fact is, the climate is always changing, always has. The earth has experienced periods of greater heat as well as periods of much colder temperatures world wide for long periods of time. Most of this happened before humans were ever a factor to be considered. US Naval ice core samples show that carbon dioxide levels were much greater during the last ice age than they are now. Man made global warming is just a scheme to redistribute wealth and bring down the west. I have greatly despise the "useful idiots" who let themselves be used in this plan. I have the lowest opinion of those who knowingly push this agenda.reply to: tothetenthpower

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
If we had increased volcanic activity that would account for the increasing amounts of c02 in the atmosphere, I would agree that its a natural occurring process, but we don't the c02 is coming from our emissions.

We humans are causing it.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Aaahhhh! Run for your lives! It's global warming!
100 years from now it's 1 degree warmer! We have to wear shorts for a few more weeks...
Big deal.
It's not the end of the world.

link   

WUWT has a piece up about this discovery .wattsupwiththat.com... this should be invaluable for researchers into the past climate . a little ot but thought some might be intrested .

link   
If you think about it, the amount of carbon we are freeing from the earth's reserves can cause an increase in chemistry that can lead to climate change. But overall pollution is the problem. We are hurting the earths ability to moderate the effects of the increased carbon in the environment. It is not just the carbon.

It doesn't take that much for a jeep sitting on the edge of a cliff to roll over the edge and crash down. The environment is constantly sitting on that cliff. If the jeep rolls either way it is bad because there is a snowbank to get stuck in on the other side.

link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Here is a site I rely on for reality checks. Because the stakes are so large, a reality checks are a good thing if you enjoy sleeping at night.

WUWT site

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

which points to a close to certain probability exceeding 99.999%.

Um....how does the probability EXCEED 99.999%?

Anyways, I said if global warming is real then I would highly suspect humans are to blame! What else could cause temperatures to go up when we are the only things on Earth polluting the air? I guess it would have to be confirmed it is from pollution as well for that to be true.

I don't know enough about it, but I think we need to rethink the ways we conduct ourselves while here on Earth or humans, as a species, will have a hard time continuing down the path we are on currently....We need someone with brains organizing the way things are done here, and currently we don't have anything or anyone even close to that status!

Al Gore is that you?

Because humans aren't the only things that polute the air...

And other things can cause the earth to warm.....like......the sun....thermal activity. Solar activity....

As much as we would like to think so. We aren't the most powerful force in our little corner of the solar system

Probably the first time I have agreed with this guy.

Is the sun even included in these models?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
exceeding 99.999%

Might as well just say it's a certain 100% then.

Peace

Seems to me they've been saying it's 100% certain for years anyway, without any sciencing of the facts. Isn't 99.999 a step back? Not quite so certain now, are we?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Here is a site I rely on for reality checks. Because the stakes are so large, a reality checks are a good thing if you enjoy sleeping at night.

WUWT site

The guy is paid for by the koch brothers!

He is a paid for climate change denier:

Willard Anthony Watts (Anthony Watts) is a blogger, weathercaster and non-scientist, paid AGW denier who runs the website wattsupwiththat.com. He does not have a university qualification and has no climate credentials other than being a radio weather announcer. His website is parodied and debunked at the website wottsupwiththat.com Watts is on the payroll of the Heartland Institute, which itself is funded by polluting industries.[

sourcewatch

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Bah! Who needs Science? Hyperbole for the win!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

which points to a close to certain probability exceeding 99.999%.

Um....how does the probability EXCEED 99.999%?

There's an infinite number of numbers that exceed 99.999%. 99.9999%, 99.999999%, 99.999999923% to name a few. And no, none of those numbers are 100%.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Why don't we look at the claim and then see what we see...

So, the claim is that the greenhouse effect is increased by increases in CO2 from human pollution...

Ok so what's the greenhouse effect???

It is what happens when longwave solar radiation penetrates the atmosphere and reflects off the surface as shortwave radiation. The long wave radiation can easily pass through greenhouse gases but the reflected shortwave radiation cannot pass back out through the green houses gases and remains trapped heating up the atmosphere. close to the surface...

So lets examine some things about the claim...

CO-2... please tell me if you can find at what level in the atmosphere CO2 accumulates.. I know that it is emitted close to the surface, but where does it accumulate???

I remember having seen a chart several years ago that showed it accumulated relatively high in the atmosphere and the temperature was REALLY low where it accumulated..

Now I can NOT find where in the atmosphere that it accumulates. I wonder why that is???

Well, for the sake of argument let's say that my memory is serving me well and it accumulates in a portion of the atmosphere that is relatively cool compared to the surface of the earth.

How on earth does co2 emissions then affect surface temperature??? Yes, co2 is a greenhouse gas, meaning that it absorbs infrared wavelengths of light and heats up, but if it accumulates in an area of the atmosphere that is -70 degrees celsius, then there is no way that it is affecting surface temperatures.

If CO2 makes up .04% of the atmosphere but most of it accumulates in a portion of the atmosphere that couldn't possibly affect surface temperatures, then increased co2 emissions can't have that much of an effect on global warming.

Please if you can find or ascertain where co2 accumulates, respond. I can't anymore...It seems everyone wants to discuss how MUCH of the atmosphere contains co2 as opposed to WHERE that concentration is. I wonder why that is???

Anyone claiming to know anything aside from their own consciousness existing with a 99.999% certainty I will always question....

And you should too...

Jaden

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The biggest problem with this study is the fact that the global temperatures pre-1951 (the time that NASA states where it started to become man's fault) is that the temperatures were already on a steady climb at a rate of around 0.17 degrees per decade. That rate of climb started around the late 1800's/early 1900's.

After 1951 (when it suddenly becomes our fault), take a wild guess at what the rate of temp increase is ?

Yes that's right.... 0.17 degrees per decade.

Um... oops ?

Aaaand, that rate of warming has since slowed down to a near halt for the past 19 years now.

This study is a complete total failure.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x
Don't be so sure about that.

I notice you have no source for this chart, nor is year 0 defined on this chart.

Oh, and since the "thermometer record" the global mean temperature has risen by 0.8 degrees Celsius, yet despite the fact that your chart only ranges in single degrees Celsius, this is not clearly visible.

Care to explain?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

WUWT site

Willard Anthony Watts (Anthony Watts) is a blogger, weathercaster and non-scientist, paid AGW denier who runs the website wattsupwiththat.com. He does not have a university qualification and has no climate credentials other than being a radio weather announcer. His website is parodied and debunked at the website wottsupwiththat.com Watts is on the payroll of the Heartland Institute, which itself is funded by polluting industries.[

sourcewatch

From the disclaimer on your site:

Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by professionals with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

Just sayin.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

WUWT site

sourcewatch

From the disclaimer on your site:

Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by professionals with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

Just sayin.

Lmao that's classic....hey LDragonFire remember that one time you accused everyone on this thread of not denying ignorance?

edit on 9/4/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Well sourcewatch is not exactly a reliable unbiased source for info either I am afraid.
You will note who runs them...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The solar system is warming. Other planets are experiencing more weather. Our governments don't want to talk about that, though, except to give us obtuse statements like, "these are long cycles blah blah blah..."

We aggravate and accelerate the already happening solar system warming by unchecked emissions. Things are going to be a lot worse for us than they needed to be.

As we pollute, we create more and more of a greenhouse effect. The earth warms and holds more water in the atmosphere. As the earth holds more water in the atmosphere, it warms more.

Water vapor traps heat within the atmosphere. We are helping solar system warming to warm even faster on earth. Because we don't want to acknowledge that there is a problem. When first responders get ready to enter a blast furnace, they wear protective gear and carry appropriate extinguishing materials. Why can't we do that? We can't do it because the economy is more important than our survival. We can't do it because the mind-set of a small and small-minded but powerful (rich) segment of the population feels that we are over populated anyway.

New Study Confirms Water Vapor as Global Warming Amplifier

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join