It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chuck Norris Was Humbled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hello ATS. What say we take a little break from all of the talk of ISIS, Russian aggression, Ebola and Justin Bieber's road rage for a few minutes. Too much doom and gloom is bad for the disposition. There are some really cool and positive things happening in the world, and this is just one example. It may just be a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other things going on, but how do you fill up a bucket? One drop at a time.

Let's go fishing.

The next time you're feeling 10 foot tall and bulletproof, check this out:

www.wideopenspaces.com...

That's right. While strapped to his kayak, Joel managed to reel in a 1,247 lb shark. He laid his bait down at 1,670 ft.

“As I set the hook I was met by a solid resistance. It was the weirdest fish fight of my life. The shark was taking line on a pre-set 50lb drag and since I was strapped in to the equipment I was scared of going over. I had it roll on me several times and each time it untangled itself it left me with 6-12ft of slack line to reel in not to let it turn its head.”

“It was scary as hell and I loved every second of it!” Joel wrote on his Facebook page.

The guy's an animal.

Chuck Norris was quoted as saying "I'm humbled".

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

Holy crap !

That would have been some battle, I would have # myself being only in a kayak against such a tug.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Poor shark.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
A comment says they are saving the best footage for a film they're working on. So I'm gathering the kayaker is involved in film somehow?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Questions?

How does one weigh a 1,247 lb shark from a 16' runabout and a 12' kayak and then release it?

How does Chuck Norris fit into this story?

link   

Might have known the chap would be a long hair!

Jolly good show. Oh, and CallYourBluff, the shark was released right after some measurements were taken.

link   

That's impressive!

Not quite as impressive as the story of Vance Flosenzier. He's the man who in 2001, pulled a shark which had just bitten off his 8 year-old nephew's arm, out of the water and on to the beach so that it could be shot and the arm could be retrieved and reattached.

Add one more brass-balled individual to the pantheon of superhuman shark wranglers!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yep, him, along with this fellow...

www.theguardian.com...

Got bitten by a shark, stabbed it till it let go of him, swam ashore, stitched up his wounds, and went to the pub for a pint before heading to hospital.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
We have shark week but sharks have Chuck Norris week.

Great white sharks are white for a reason, they saw Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris uses a shark cage in certain waters, the sharks feel safer in them when Chuck explores the ocean floor.

That is all.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Might have known the chap would be a long hair!

Jolly good show. Oh, and CallYourBluff, the shark was released right after some measurements were taken.

Yes but he still had a sore mouth.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
Questions?

How does one weigh a 1,247 lb shark from a 16' runabout and a 12' kayak and then release it?

Answers.

Very carefully.

Actually, you can go to his Facebook page or ask an experienced angler. I don't know how they do it either, but I'm sure they have their ways.

The Chuck Norris reference was a joke. Chuck is supposed to be the toughest of the tough....."When Chuck Norris was born he slapped the doctor" That sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

That is very true, although in the case of sharks, they are normally none to shy about giving anything else in the ocean a sore everything, so there is less of a karma hit when fishing for them. Also, sharks have automatic dentistry correction built in.

It is also worth noting, that predatory sharks like the Greenland Shark, are by and large pretty dumb, so the chances are that this incident will leave the sharks memory in short order. You are right though, if someone yanked me about by the face I would be pretty peeved for a while!

I had someone grab me by the beard and try to drag me around once. It backfired though, because I moved backwards really quickly, and had them off balance. This meant that to avoid falling on their face, they had to keep hold of my beard with both hands, which meant I was able to drag them all the way around the moshpit we were in at the time! Great fun!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

originally posted by: Psynic
Questions?

Answers.

Very carefully.

Actually, you can go to his Facebook page or ask an experienced angler. I don't know how they do it either, but I'm sure they have their ways.

Wrong answer.

Can't be done.

There would need to be a vessel with a very large crane to weigh a shark of that size.

Methinks this is a big fish story.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
A comment says they are saving the best footage for a film they're working on. So I'm gathering the kayaker is involved in film somehow?

He probably is now, I didn't know he that he has been.

They do have competitions for this sort of thing, so maybe the movie is more like a documentary for this sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Chuck Norris would have round house kicked the water killing everything 1700 ft deep....for miles....

we need an ask me anything with chuck norris...he'd answer the questions before they were posted....
edit on 4-9-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

There is a fine line between between stupidity and astonishment....wonder how we would have responded if he was eaten by this same shark....I'm amazed but it's just a matter of time before he takes the long sleep...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That is very true, although in the case of sharks, they are normally none to shy about giving anything else in the ocean a sore everything, so there is less of a karma hit when fishing for them. Also, sharks have automatic dentistry correction built in.

It is also worth noting, that predatory sharks like the Greenland Shark, are by and large pretty dumb, so the chances are that this incident will leave the sharks memory in short order. You are right though, if someone yanked me about by the face I would be pretty peeved for a while!

I had someone grab me by the beard and try to drag me around once. It backfired though, because I moved backwards really quickly, and had them off balance. This meant that to avoid falling on their face, they had to keep hold of my beard with both hands, which meant I was able to drag them all the way around the moshpit we were in at the time! Great fun!

I never would have thought you were the sort to be in a mosh pit.

Just to add. Do you think he lost a tooth? Also, have you caught the sarcasm yet?
edit on 4-9-2014 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

He sez, "I was scared as Hell!"

I assume that he didn't have any scupper (drain) plugs in place at his seat so any "excessive moisture" that accumulated during that incident could escape.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

There is a fine line between between stupidity and astonishment....wonder how we would have responded if he was eaten by this same shark....I'm amazed but it's just a matter of time before he takes the long sleep...

It's matter of time before we all do. May as well go while you're doing what you enjoy.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Have I caught the sarcasm?

Indeed I have, in fact, I am a carrier for sarcasm!

But enough with this off topic banter! The fact is, that the idea of catching a big fish from a massive boat is pretty staggering, but catching such a gigantic fish as a shark, from a kayak? That is just "balls out" as the kids are saying these days, and I for one think its amazing!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join