Bill Gates Donates 5.6 Million Dollars to ‘Depolarize’ the GMO Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

A new international effort led by Cornell will seek to add a stronger voice for science and depolarize the charged debate around agricultural biotechnology and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

Supported by a $5.6 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Cornell Alliance for Science will help inform decision-makers and consumers through an online information portal and training programs to help researchers and stakeholders effectively communicate the potential impacts of agricultural technology and how such technology works.

“Our goal is to depolarize the GMO debate"

Bill Gates Donates 5.6 Million Dollars to ‘Depolarize’ the GMO Debate

Admittedly, I'm pretty anti-GMO but this seems offensive to both sides of the argument. Firstly, Bill Gates owns a considerable amount of Monsanto stock, so by pushing such a "depolarization" agenda into the GMO debate he would effectively be working to sure-up his investment. Secondly, and this is the one that gets me everytime, the article goes onto discuss how the focus of this debate hinges on that of starving African people. Not that I have no empathy for those people, but it seems Gates is arguing that GMOs are good because they help starving people get fed, so if you are against GMOs you are against starving people.

Besides that, the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation could completely eradicate world hunger and world poverty with a wave of their checkbook.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Theeastcoastwest

well old bill must be looking for the humanitarian of the week award

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Besides that, the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation could completely eradicate world hunger and world poverty with a wave of their checkbook.

They couldn't come close sadly...
He has 70billion, to feed the worlds hungry would take trillions...
Sure he could probably eradicate famine for about a week, maybe a month at a push...
Then he'd be broke again!
He probably would if he could...
Maybe the way to do it economically is with GMOs...

Not a supporter of GMOs myself, but not an activist against them either...
Don't know enough about the whole saga to form an opinion...
Hopefully this thread will be my learning curve!!!

I see a lot of fear mongering, but I try not to buy into all that!

We'll have to see how he tries to establish this goal...
Can't deny that he's the most charitable guy ever, monetary wise at least!

edit on 4-9-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Learning Curve!

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Guy couldn't even conceive a good Operating System and now he wants to do the same with us.

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Whether or not GMO's are good or bad, Once they get the go ahead, SOMEONE will end up having a patent on EVERY plant that grows.....Then the people will be well and truly be screwed.

That's why I'm anti GMO.
edit on 4-9-2014 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
"Besides that, the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation could completely eradicate world hunger and world poverty with a wave of their checkbook." Just once...

Get people accustom to receiving handouts and the cycle is most likly to continue. Teach these people to fish, so they can take care of themselves,

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Greetings- I appreciate the work and typing You put into this, but as was mentioned at the end, OR how about throwing that $$$ by shipping food and showing how to do it themselves? Or sell the Monsanto™ stock, why anybody with that kind of $$$ would influence any kind of tick, is disheartening.

It is similar to one of the issues I had in the last erection for the POS, oops the POTUS Did You know that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce™ spent $100M on this erection, election? If they were being "fair" that would mean $50M to each "party" . NOW I KNOW why they call them a "Party" Because 'they' get to go and get drunk, eat like Royalty and someone else (taxpayer) gets to play 'host'... Makes perfect sense. Now if the CoC™ can blow $100M on 'this' they can blow it on 'that' Personally, if I were a member of the CoC™ I'd be pissed, especially if I owned a paint store and pay CoC™ dues, great if Your business is politics, sucks if it isn't.

$56 M could buy a lot of "good" Isn't sticking the former Monsanto™ big shot into the FDA™ enough? Maybe that is why the FDA™ stockpiled all the ammo? O.k. that explains the FDA™ SWAT team, why does NASA™ have one?

I'd say the "corn lobby" made enough $$ on the cottage industry that ethanol™ and ALL the related work done because of ethanol™... If anyone dug a little they'd find the original GMO™ laden 'crap' is causing a ton of problems to our neighbors south of the border whose diet is mostly corn.. How about $28M down there to take care of the kids w/3 arms?

This isn't "fair play" now is it?

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
"The biggest fallacy about GMOs is that we need them to feed the world".
-Vice President of Business Development-World Food Processing, Tyler Lorenzen

GE crops have nothing to do with ending world hunger, no matter how much GE spokespeople like to expound on this topic.

Source below

Can we expect online campaigns? Commentary?

Gates is playing up to the myth:

MYTH: GE crops will end world hunger.

FACT: GE crops have nothing to do with ending world hunger, no matter how much GE spokespeople like to expound on this topic. Three comments give the lie to their claim:

FAO data clearly show that the world produces plenty of food to feed everyone, year after year. Yet hunger is still with us. That’s because hunger is not primarily a question of productivity but of access to arable land and resources. Put bluntly: Hunger is caused by poverty and exclusion.

Today’s commercial GE crops weren’t designed to fight hunger in the first place. They aren’t even mainly for human consumption. Practically the entire area planted to GE crops consists of soybeans, corn, canola, and cotton. The first three of these are used almost exclusively to make cattle feed, car fuel, and industrial oils for the United States and Europe, while cotton goes into clothing.

Continued at source

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Mandatory labeling and everyone else can do what they want.

Let the market decide.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

“Our goal is to depolarize the GMO debate"

Letting us know the corporates all go one way together, their way.

Bill Gates may rot in Hell. If they'll let him in.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure with proper irrigation and hydroponic technology we could produce enough food to eliminate world hunger within 5 years.

This can only happen when humanity becomes more important than money. If we invest wisely we can permanently eliminate starvation.

We have the technology, but no one is willing because starving people have no money and no assets for the elitist to exploit.

GMO's are unnecessary. We don't need seeds with patents, that everyone is forced to buy.

Shame on you Mr. Gates for being part of an organization that wants only to control the food supply. If you were so concerned about starving Africans you would start your own GMO company and open source all seed technology.

He has enough money to do this.
edit on 4-9-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

They couldn't come close sadly...
He has 70billion, to feed the worlds hungry would take trillions...
Sure he could probably eradicate famine for about a week, maybe a month at a push...
Then he'd be broke again!
He probably would if he could...
Maybe the way to do it economically is with GMOs...

Not a supporter of GMOs myself, but not an activist against them either...
Don't know enough about the whole saga to form an opinion...
Hopefully this thread will be my learning curve!!!

I see a lot of fear mongering, but I try not to buy into all that!

We'll have to see how he tries to establish this goal...
Can't deny that he's the most charitable guy ever, monetary wise at least!

I mean I don't want to derail my own thread, but Bill Gates could take his fortune and considerably lessen the pain of world hunger. I don't mean every man woman and child are going to have a steak dinner, every meal for the rest of their lives, but donating 5.6 Million to 'Depolarize' the GMO debate in order to combat global hunger would be like you or I slapping a 2 dollar bill to a homeless person and saying that we helped "combat" homelessness.

Technically, yeah, but if we were in it for anything other than ego boosting then; no.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
"The biggest fallacy about GMOs is that we need them to feed the world".
-Vice President of Business Development-World Food Processing, Tyler Lorenzen

GE crops have nothing to do with ending world hunger, no matter how much GE spokespeople like to expound on this topic.

Source below

Can we expect online campaigns? Commentary?

Gates is playing up to the myth:

MYTH: GE crops will end world hunger.

FACT: GE crops have nothing to do with ending world hunger, no matter how much GE spokespeople like to expound on this topic. Three comments give the lie to their claim:

FAO data clearly show that the world produces plenty of food to feed everyone, year after year. Yet hunger is still with us. That’s because hunger is not primarily a question of productivity but of access to arable land and resources. Put bluntly: Hunger is caused by poverty and exclusion.

Today’s commercial GE crops weren’t designed to fight hunger in the first place. They aren’t even mainly for human consumption. Practically the entire area planted to GE crops consists of soybeans, corn, canola, and cotton. The first three of these are used almost exclusively to make cattle feed, car fuel, and industrial oils for the United States and Europe, while cotton goes into clothing.

Continued at source

I couldn't agree with you more. It's not like there is a problem with there being food in the world, the problem lies in getting it where it needs to be.

Spending time and effort in genetically engineering a wheat variety to grow in dry arid African climates seems round-about when you could just establish regional distribution centers for food near areas that were more fertile.

Vested interests will stay interested in their investments, period.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Yeah I agree the 5.6 could have been better spent to be fair...
But we haven't got the advantage of hindsight just yet...
It may lead to a revolutionary outlook on GMOs...

Foresight says differently though!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm not anti GMO but I agree with many points on here, why not label it?
Why have the need for patents on seed?
I also agree that Food isn't the problem, distribution is.

And finally I hate the people that defend GMO to no end, join any so called Skeptic page,
raise a point you have about GMO then have 20 people who think the are Neil Degrasse Tyson because they
watched a couple of episodes of Cosmos posting memes about "Anti GMO or Monsanto = Tinfoil hat"
Drives me mad.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Bill gates doesn't donate # to anything that wont increase his own fortune.....
Bill Gates is whats wrong with humanity......NOT whats right.....
Filth like the Gateses don't even want you to EXIST !....let alone eat ......

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
They should depolarize the debate. Everyone should believe we do not need genetically modified foods.

The fact is that genetic modification is not needed in the first place. Now it is not genetic modification if you do not cross the kingdoms, plant/fungus..plant/bacteria..animal/plant etc. Crossing one corn with another corn or a wheat with a different wheat is not considered GM and is probably harmless. Now crossing ragweed with wheat could cause problems in some people, but it is still not GMO legally. We actually should examine the definition better also. They can cross wheat and nut genetics and it wouldn't legally be considered gmo but it might possibly cause problems with those who are allergic to nuts. I suppose it depends on what genetic traits are involved though.

The potato has had a lot of engineering done to it over the years but most of this has been done to get rid of some of the bad effects of certain chemicals or to boost resistance to certain things. Most of this is harmless though, but I am sure it does cause some people problems. The modifications of Soy are not really necessary in the first place, Soy is a very resilient product. It is more of a scam to get more money coming into the hands of the people doing the modification. Why fix something that does not need fixing. I suppose this is what Gates did to get rich so I can understand his thinking.
edit on 4-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If there is nothing wrong with it, there is nothing wrong with labeling it so we can choose. That doe not take it off the market it only lets one choose. Let the consumer help it grow or die.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25

I'm pretty sure with proper irrigation and hydroponic technology we could produce enough food to eliminate world hunger within 5 years.

This can only happen when humanity becomes more important than money. If we invest wisely we can permanently eliminate starvation.

We have the technology, but no one is willing because starving people have no money and no assets for the elitist to exploit.

GMO's are unnecessary. We don't need seeds with patents, that everyone is forced to buy.

Shame on you Mr. Gates for being part of an organization that wants only to control the food supply. If you were so concerned about starving Africans you would start your own GMO company and open source all seed technology.

He has enough money to do this.

We've 'GMO'd' almost as long as we've been on the planet by for example combining two different grapes together to either improve hardiness or flavour. This is nothing new really. I personally don't think the question is 'Is all GMO bad?' It should be more about is the end product more beneficial to the consumer.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Good ol' Bill Gates at it again...

GMO's are evil plain and simple, no one will change my opinion on that.

-SAP-

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join