It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police demand camera shut off and try to enter man's house when he's home with wife and kids.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Except, by the Sheriffs Deputy's own admittance in the video, he didn't know what the fugitive looked like.
Let's say they did gain access to the house, would they then calmly ask for ze papers pleez of all those people in the house to check if they were the fugitive? Or would they be twitchy and expecting everyone who looked cross-eyed at them to be armed and dangerous? It's a slippery slope. They know they need a warrant.

The LEOs first words were, "Turn that camera off!" Hardly community policing, is it? The LEO pushed for the camera to be off until the homeowner told him he was recording directly to the interwebs. Too late to delete the video...
As we hear LEOs say in so many of these videos (and there are rather a lot of them, aren't there?), "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about." Why don't they like being filmed?

The homeowner was completely within his rights, and the LEOs knew it.
I'm getting tired of seeing videos where the LEOs use ambiguous sentences; "Someone called in..." or "we received a complaint." It's clear that these are almost always fabrications to gain the upper hand.

I also didn't appreciate where the homeowner opens the door to a high power flashlight in his face. That's completely unnecessary, and was a deliberate intimidation tactic.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
ERRR!!
Its people like this that end up causing problems for us all. I think that the cop was in the wrong for trying to get him to stop filming, and could have address the issue of what they were doing there a little better. The guy was completely in the right to not let the police in, but he also could have been a little better in helping them out.

The Innocent Citizen (which is what the home owner is here)

I've had the police come to my door looking for people (yeah it's not the best neighborhood, but it's not that bad either) I tell them they can look around if they want, after that they usually just tell me to lock the door because of whom ever is being sought. They usually ask to come in to see if "so and so" is hiding out, or worse holding you against your will. If you allow them to enter they don't want to waste time in searching your house, and usual move along to search else where. Weird huh.

The Cop

Only once I was asked to not film a police action, and that was because DoD, Naval Police, and the local authorities were arresting somebody special (Like SoF Special) for a domestic incident. I didn't film the event out of respect for the people who were involved, but after words I also didn't have anyone asking me to hand over any video I might have had. I fully believe in helping out the police when they need the help, and I also believe that people need to be more active in policing their own communities, but I strongly think that if I was ever told to "Stop Recording" as opposed to being asked with a reason. I would leave the area to get a better filming angle on what was going on (or in this case keep filming).

In the end

The Police are there to keep others from hurting us, and if necessary intervene to protect the lives of others (even if that means having to take a life to save a life). This also means that we the people have the responsibility to help the police in doing their job if they ask (after all they kind of work for us, despite what many people seem to think). In that function we also have to hold the police accountable when they act in a way that is harmful to the community in which they took an oath to protect.

So a general rule is don't interfere with their job, but maybe take the time to help them if they need it. Also film away it keeps them and us honest.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The cops were out of line and he was not handling the situation the best either.

You claimed BS but you have no idea what was happening there as you were not there. He could have very well been hiding the guy in his house....or not. We don't know.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I tell them they can look around if they want

And if they are suspicious of anything in plain sight, you might be the one that gets arrested.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

well said 'one4all' and very intelligently put indeed. For years i've been saying that people need to look to the top of the command structure to find out just who is allowing all this to happen, as it could not be as bad as it is unless it was by consent.
Good job

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this!
As this is one of the very few times I have seen a person making use of his rights! Without it getting out of hand.
I am thankful the Courts have ruled it is legal to video tape these guys.

Not much else I can say here, other members have pretty much pointed out most the valid points here.
Even the defenders can agree on this one here.

So I can say this.. When people from opposite ends of the debate can come together and agree on something. Then it is worth listening too! No matter what your stance is on LEO, we all pretty much agree on these key points.

But please folks, beware. This guy was wise not to step outside the threshold of his domicile.
He knew his rights, and remained calm.
He did not get cocky.
Please be safe when exercising your rights.

As most cops will ask you.." How those rights working out for you here? "
*While you sit in a jail cell*

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
a reply to: boncho

Nice write up and explanation of the vid for us mobile users with low bandwidth/limited data. That is appreciated.

These days I think I would rather have some random criminal type looking to harm come to my door than the police. At least the criminal doesn't likely have professional training on a regular basis on how to best kill.

I agree and have stated to friends many times...you can trust a criminal to be just that, criminal; however, you cannot trust a peace officer to be just that, rather you have to suspect at the least, the opposite.
edit on 9/4/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Love it! We all need to start doing this! Too many bad cops around to let them get away with anything. It used to be they didn't sweat you like this and everyone would comply and help them out. Now there is just too much crazy stuff going on with the bad cops. Nobody feels safe from the cops anymore!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The author of the video has also made a 15 second sequel as well (Warning: strong language):

A man in Inglewood, California, is receiving both praise and criticism for the way he handled a recent exchange with a pair of police officers who knocked on his door while searching for a wanted felon accused of beating his girlfriend. Avel Amarel uploaded video of the interaction to Facebook on August 25 and it has since been shared more than 10,000 times.

Many YouTube commenters are praising Amarel for knowing his rights and “shutting down” the police. However, a smaller minority also say he was overly difficult and uncooperative with officers who were trying to locate a dangerous suspect. There were some people who didn’t particularly like the way either party handled the situation.

Further, Amarel’s Facebook page makes his views on the police pretty clear. In the Facebook post that included the now-viral video, he wrote:

Police think they can do whatever they want nah not today not with me I’m never ignorant of The law tawmbout they gone drag me out my house making empty threats to a boss! You gotta kno ya sh*t out here cause these devils scanless out here

In a different August 25 Facebook post, he wrote, “F*** the police… they give us no peace.”

He then uploaded another explicit video on September 1 in which he claims he will be “shooting back” if cops shoot at him “like they did Mike [Brown]” in Ferguson, Missouri.

Cops Knock on Man’s Door, Ask to See ID and ‘Check’ His House.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join