It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Dangerous And Unusual Journeys To School around The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Remember when your dad use to say, I had 2 walk to school everyday in the snow, uphill, both ways.

Well all these kids can top that.

This collection of pictures of kids around the world just trying to get to school will really put into perspective how much we take for granted.

I thought I had it bad when I was a kid but a little perspective shows me how good I had it.

5-Hour Journey Into The Mountains On A 1ft Wide Path To Probably The Most Remote School In The World, Gulu, China

Schoolchildren Climbing On Unsecured Wooden Ladders, Zhang Jiawan Village, Southern China

Kids Traveling To A Boarding School Through The Himalayas, Zanskar, Indian Himalayas

Pupils Crossing A Damaged Suspension Bridge, Lebak, Indonesia

Kids in Colombia have to zipline across a steel cable 400m Above The Rio Negro River

Canoeing To School, Riau, Indonesia

School Girls Walking Across A Plank On The Wall Of The 16th Century Galle Fort In Sri Lanka

125-Mile Journey To A Boarding School Through The Mountains, Pili, China

Pupils Walking On A Tightrope 30 Feet Above A River, Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia

Elementary School Students Crossing A River On Inflated Tire Tubes, Rizal Province, Philippines

A lot more at the link

link

edit on 4-9-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
My mum use to tell us she had to traipse through miles of snow too ! All on a slice of stale bread from 2 days earlier

After seeing this, I may believe her at last!

Terrific images thanks.

edit on 4-9-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Okay, traveling across the root tree bridge looks really awesome. I don't know how to link the picture, but I would love to have one of those in my backyard.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ArgentumAquila
Here, the tree root bridge. This is like something straight out of a fairytale, it's even more awesome than I expected

Edit: I just googled these bridges on a whim. Oh. Em. Gee, I have to visit this place some day. Between the scenery & history, they're absolutely stunning:
The Root Bridges of Cherrapunji
edit on 9/4/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
If a broken bridge that's over a river isn't enough reason to skip school, I don't know what is.

a reply to: Nyiah

That's crazy, it almost looks surreal.

This guy right here has the right idea.

edit on 4-9-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Wow, awesome article. Thanks for posting.

I remember seeing a documentary about a father and child having to travel several days through the mountains to get him to school. They had to carry food, and build fires at night. I think once he got there, he lived there like a boarding school. An amazing journey.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
My family had it rough back in the old days from what I've been told. We're in the mountains of Appalachia so you know it's probably true.

I feel sorry for these kids. They shouldn't have to risk their lives just to get an education. These are things that can be improved on if only people like Bill Gates would use his money for something like this instead of "de-polarizing" things. My heart goes out to all these kids.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
this thread is so cool and such a nice change of pace...

top topics

join