It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's What Happened When a Artist Played Dead by a Philly Landmark.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

I have never been to Philly but I can tell you Los Angeles is about the same. There are many on ATS that talk about a race war, and I can't speak to other states and their cities but it So. Cal. it will be black and brown not black and white. In my 53 years there I to have many experiences that you speak of, now in a retirement area of Williamsburg VA. for 3 years things are vastly different. Different planet kind of different. I am surprised you haven't been attacked here yet for speaking the truth. Often times it doesn't matter what the truth is, some just don't want to hear it.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I have never been to Philly but I can tell you Los Angeles is about the same. There are many on ATS that talk about a race war, and I can't speak to other states and their cities but it So. Cal. it will be black and brown not black and white. In my 53 years there I to have many experiences that you speak of, now in a retirement area of Williamsburg VA. for 3 years things are vastly different. Different planet kind of different. I am surprised you haven't been attacked here yet for speaking the truth. Often times it doesn't matter what the truth is, some just don't want to hear it.

I understand where you're coming from. I've traveled all over the U.S. and Philly is by far the worst. I was LA but never inner city LA but I've heard stories. I'm prepared to be attacked by what I posted but it is 100 percent true. I plan on moving as soon as I sort some things out. It will be hard to go but I'm not sticking around to see my hometown destroyed, like my grandparents had to, as the chaos is moving in from all sides.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The 'artist' is an idiot. Everyone could see that he wasn't a real dead guy. And he screwed up a famous Philly spot for the tourists with his stunt.

That being said, I agree with the previous Philly poster. My daughter is in Chester and it's gunshots and police sirens and 'don't go out after dark or even in certain places during the day'. And Philly itself has a radical element. Like if you go to the Hard Rock near the town hall, then make sure that you don't wander too far from it. Just across the street and down a block and you have suddenly entered territory where city folks literally stand on boxes and shout about how all their problems are the white mans fault.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

I understand where you're coming from. I've traveled all over the U.S. and Philly is by far the worst. I was LA but never inner city LA but I've heard stories. I'm prepared to be attacked by what I posted but it is 100 percent true. I plan on moving as soon as I sort some things out. It will be hard to go but I'm not sticking around to see my hometown destroyed, like my grandparents had to, as the chaos is moving in from all sides.

Good luck to you, Williamsburg Va. could always use more good people. You couldn't find a more beautiful area with better people.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer
I would go as far as race baiting. It's no different or more antagonizing than the Old Glory Pic. Old Glory

But he is definitely making a statement about the treatment of blacks in Philly. Before you guys chew my head off I'm playing devil's advocate here. It is no secret that Philly has had its fair share of issues with their urban black population. The MOVE Organization and the Philly PD/FD has had a turbulent history that led to the burning of Osage Ave. complex, and shooting anyone fleeing the burning building. That is not including the mess they went through with Rizzo back in the 1970s and the bulldozing of their original house before they became "nusiances". Philly has also had some riots back back in the day as well. Then there was Gary D. Heinick holding the 4 black teens captive, forcing them to have sex, and then killing two of them and forcing the other 2 to eat them. All under the premise of blind eye neighbors. All under the girls being missing and the cops not really bothering to find out about their kidnappings.

Could he have made a better choice of locale, well, it depends on who his target demographic is. He wanted it around a certain gentrified demographic and obviously tourists and he got it. I doubt the same message would have come across in a black hood noted for shootings.

Not a Philly Native. Previously lived there for a minute for academic endeavors.

I know a lot of white cats were scared to walk through West Philly at night, but maybe its because they were with a multicultural bunch they didn't get stuck up or robbed over there, or at least didn't say anything to us about it visiting. Can't speak on Chester and Camden, though.

I'm not acting like blacks are innocent, and any race crime against another race is plain wrong. But I will say considering the attitude of the not so long ago past of Rizzo against blacks back in the day, it isn't a wonder racial tensions haven't improved and have come to that. The mentality I saw there was similiar to Chicago's mentality of whites in the city MUST be rich, so let's get them type thing. Just my observation. And yes, per capita I saw more cases living there of black on white crime than any city I've lived in in the states, and that is quite a few (hell, worse than Atlanta by far).

I have no idea what his motivation was, nor his intended demographic. I am theorizing that him being around a landmark would perhaps allow him a broader audience to get his point across. Which, technically it did since it trended pretty heavily to predominately white sites.

And yeah, them Italians there are pretty etched in stone on how they feel about certain behaviors of folk, lol.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: ArchPlayer

When fatally shot, do black people reach out for their baseball-cap as some kind of aid in the afterlife, like Vikings and their swords?

Depends on what gang they belong to.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
What does playing GTA(a video game) have to do with reality. Video games are fantasy.

This is "art"??? This is just race baiters trying to make it seem that everybody is just innocent little kids who get killed by cops for no reason. Blame white men!!!! The message was lost on stupidity and inaccurate assumptions. sorry. That's just where I stand on displays such as this. Lets be real and talk about what's REALLY going down in cities with a large black populace. It's happening in a city near me(Huntington WV) and now Dog The Bounty Hunter is coming here to try and help because the mayor doesn't know what else to do!!! He doesn't understand why the city has crumbled and fell to a high crime lawless place. Lets talk about what's real.

GTA and other video games of that ilk have a pesky habit of desensitizing people from the fantasy and reality of life and death. There are studies to show it literally makes kids feel no remorse around violent acts. I have friends who were in the military serving in Iraq who refer to shooting the enemy as playing Call of Duty Black Ops. Video games while a fantasy play a very harsh role into the psyche of a mind, and in some, dumb it down.

The term "art" is left to self interpretation. Some would argue both sides that it is/isn't. I'm not seeing this as a race baiting thing, but I'm looking at it from a different perspective. I'm not blaming any colored men - humans as a whole got a lot of work to do on humanity. What he did can be akin to PETA's blood slaughtering animal staged events of blood and guts everywhere. Some consider that art, some don't. His message hit the people he was trying to reach.

Lets be real and talk about what's REALLY going down in suburbs and rural areas with a large white populace. They have their issues just as well in the boondocks. City issues are based on a collapsing infrastructure where gentrification every 20 years is commonplace; where employment leaves because the taxation is too high for the company and jobs go out to the outer boondocks. Both the cities and the rural areas have been struggling since the Reagen era. The shutting down of plants and factories, or moving them too other areas before NAFTA act took a heavy toll in the 80s.

If Dog The Bounty Hunter is in Huntington, WV its just to get some more saucy material for whatever reality show he's shopping, not to rescue a town.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: squittles

I think the guy standing there with the "Call us by our names" sign" was a give away - the whole scene was obviously staged, and no one thought "Huh, a dead black kid; hope he doesn't ruin my photo."

Thing is, while the "artist" carried his own baggage, the worst commissioner of race-baiting was, a bit ironically, the Asian author who fabricated, uh, "wrote" the story.

You have to wonder, what reaction did they want? What reaction would have moved them to say "Oh, this restores my faith in humanity?" More to the point, what, exactly, would have moved the author to write a narrative *other* than one where she repeatedly asserted that white people don't care about dead black men? (and notice her own racism, where every single actor was defined by their race.)

It's a rhetorical question, really - we all know the answer to that - nothing would've changed her conclusion.

While she's at it, perhaps she should've mentioned that, by far, the group most responsible for killing young black men are other black men. And I shouldn't mention that stat in isolation - the biggest killer of white men, of which there numerically more victims of homicide (at least in 2010) than blacks, are other white men.

(Italics mine - while the rate of murder among blacks is far higher than whites, it's clear most people don't realize that in volume, there are more white victims of homicide than black.)

So, perhaps that demonstration would've carried more weight - and appropriateness - in a black neighborhood.

Yes the scene was staged, but that kid might not have been holding the sign the entire time.

Not going to say the story was fabricated, its been on a lot of sites and not just the "alleged author's".

No idea what reaction the guy wants. Maybe he just wanted to make a conservation piece. Just get people into talking about the problem, issue, and start from there. He really didn't call me and tell me the intricate details. Can't tell you why people jumped on it, and decided to trend it, pass it around, blog about it, and share it. But the question still beckons as to where Americans are at in their observations about it and subsequent post, which has been to point a finger, accuse it of race baiting, and such. As I said in my observation, I didn't see it from a racial perspective, just a human one.

The group most responsible for killing young black men is still and will forever be the government via war. They pretty much got the cannon fodder idea down to a hilt. And their war stems not only on overseas battlefields, but the streets of the urban jungles too. Black men own no planes, poppy or cocoa fields, and no weapons manufacturing plants. And With Fast and Furious, as well as COINTELPRO and actual admittances from CIA folks that they intentionally targeted and implemented drug warfare in the black community, that answers who is responsible.

Everytime blacks get unified and get things together it is systematically destroyed. Ferguson has no murders for instance, and then BOOM, they are in the middle of a militarized siege from an incident blow completely out of proportion.

Demonstrations and marching songs are dead and carry no weight. Just allows the participants to be moving targets to the National Guard or militarized police. Black folks I think learned that from the South African protests.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

What I saw was a populace completely desensitized by violence that it was just another day.

I didn't see that.
What I saw was a populace completely desensitized to B$.

Its hard to believe anything that you see or hear anymore with all the false advertising, gorrilla advertising, and numerous other commercially and not commercially motivated false marketing schemes to get attention.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I'm going to add to what you're saying as I live in Philly. Here are some facts:

and OP, this is for you, I'm going to play devils advocate here. I'd love to hear your response.

My grandparents used to live in Darby, Pa and would go to Chester, Pa at night for dancing and drinks with friends back in the 50's before those areas became predominately black. I hate to say it, but since the blacks moved in, both of those towns are torn to pieces with trash all over the streets and beautiful Victorian houses, and most newer houses, are destroyed with wood over the windows. A beautiful cemetery in Darby has gang signs and graffiti on headstones with some kicked over and the crime rates are through the roof.

It does not cost money to keep your town and cities clean and nice. It doesn't cost money to treat others with respect.

Not but a few years ago a white Widener University student was walking a bit off campus and was robbed and murdered for the less than $10 is in pocket by a black and left for dead on the sidewalk. You didn't hear that make national news and there were no riots.

Arrest in Widener student's death One suspect is held as police search for the man they think pulled the trigger.

Furthermore, blacks were playing the "knockout game" and knocking old white people out left and right in Philly this past summer. I bet you didn't hear that in the national news and when they were caught, they weren't charged with hate crimes.

Dangerous Knockout Game Hits Philadelphia Transit

Another instance happened at temple where a group of black teens almost killed a white girl over no reason. Hitting her in the face with a brick multiple times.

Temple Student Attacked With Brick Wants to Return to Classes

These are just a few of the crimes committed against whites that happen in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs every day. I could post about a few hundred more but I think I've proved my point. It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering get my L2C because I don't want to end up a victim, and that's becoming the mentality in and around this area.

The crimes against whites are so brutal and they're thought out, these are not just occasions where a black had to defend themselves and killed a white person. They're planned attacks. They never make the national news and when the news speaks of the crimes, if the culprit is black, they never say it, but when the culprit is white and does a crime against a black it's always "A white male has assaulted 2 black males . . blah blah blah"

Not one of these instances did any white burn down a store, rob anyone or cause a mass riot and destroy their own towns.

This gentleman in your OP is doing nothing but dividing the races and he is race baiting. I don't care what you say or how you want to spin it. The crimes against whites are just as bad, even worse, but they never make the news. So quit it with your idea that blacks are the victims in all this.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and I am a Chicago girl, born and raised until college.

I cannot fully tell you why your blacks in Philly behave the way they do unless they are lashing out from indoctrinated hatred and racial issues from the past. I can tell you from growing up in Chicago, it is the most segregated and discriminative place in the WORLD. 3 Presidents from Aparthied South Africa have credited Richard J. Daley (Daley I) for the template that helped them reach advanced racism and apartheid practice. John Forster Square torture techniques were based on the CPD techniques of the 60s against its black population. We have Black, White, MExican, and a small Asian population. Only 2 hoods survived Puerto Rican, and Humbolt Park is up in arms right now over forced gentrification to push them out. The other is the Avenues bordering Highland, IN. Our crime in Chicago is based on three factors. One black family moves into a all white neighborhood, even to this day, and EVERY WHITE PERSON MOVES OUT!!!! That leaves the property values dropped down to crap; the city begins to devalue it and they what do they do, they stop having street cleaning, regular trash pickup. They stop fixing the streets. They ticket, arrest, and tax anyone who attempts to keep their house groomed. My grandmother got a 5K fine for replacing a 40 year gate with a higher wooden fence because she didn't get permission, and her grandkids, US, put it up for her on her property within the existing gate borders (and we tore the old gate down and disposed of it). In Chicago, the citizens are taxed for everything, even a personal garden can get a person a hefty fine.

In Chicago crime is not reported in White Neighborhoods. I lived in a gentrified Wrigleyville and before I moved my block was empty. See white flight. Crime there amongst the whites was DAILY, more than I had ever seen nor endured growing up in gangland south side. There was a serial rapist snatching white women jogging at 3am that the police never investigated because he was white. Now as far as black on white crimes, they did exist, and like Philly, were never reported on mainstream news. In Chicago, that is really few and far between. Most whites never cross 12th street going south, or halsted going west. Those caught in areas like Uptown, Buena Park, Bucktown are there because they got caught in the housing crash and can't get out. Whites in Uptown set up home camera around Wilson area apts and the police said it was inadmissible because its illegal to record without notifying the person of it.
Now, unlike Philly, our whites think that NOTHING can happen to them because they pay 2300 a month for a 2 flat apt that got renamed a condo. Their attitudes towards blacks are heinous, so much so that when something does happen no one bats an eye. It's an oh well moment. Our crimes against whites have mostly been Mexicans killing them. There was a low brow incident when I lived there, 3 whites executed back of the head in their apartment by illegals. Mexicans growing pot in the Forest Preserve, killing white joggers passing by. Will try and find link if u need to see it. Things like THAT happen all the time versus our black folks targeting them.

The thought behind blacks burning their own neighborhoods was to make a point, to force the city to rebuild their area equal to the gentrified hoods. It wasn't about destroying their own. At least in Chicago. Our riots have ALWAYS been precipitated by a law enforcement populous that hates anything not WHITE MALE. And its always been that way. I'm not doubting the guy's motivations. I said "how I saw it". I was trying to look past the obvious notions of race. I'm not spinning it any way whatsoever. I wanted a discussion on the numbness of violence. What he did...I saw that EVERY DAY IN CHICAGO. That can make a person numb. My nephew saw the 6 yr old get shot in her eye, local news story, in front of my peeps building and he walked over her; proceeded to get his hair cut. It can make you numb, so forgive me for looking at it with drier eyes.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

LA is crazy insane on the Mexicans vs. Black thing. CRAZY.

I just want to say to you, Optimus' truth is just that, their truth. Everyone has their own truth based on their own experiences. Whites are being hunted like the whites in South Africa are, yes; however until the country comes to grips with its racial past and heals, well, all these individual truths will eventually spill into chaos where red is the only color anybody cares to see.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

What I saw was a populace completely desensitized by violence that it was just another day.

I didn't see that.

Its hard to believe anything that you see or hear anymore with all the false advertising, gorrilla advertising, and numerous other commercially and not commercially motivated false marketing schemes to get attention.

Refer to my post to Optimus. That is why I see it that way.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

originally posted by: interupt42

I didn't see that.

Refer to my post to Optimus. That is why I see it that way.

You can try to put the blame on anyone you want as always when you lose an argument. Some of your points are just laughable, especially the point about burning down your own neighborhood. I've said all I need to say about this subject and you're not changing my mind no matter what you say. I see it everyday where I live to know the real truth.
edit on 9/4/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
They knew he wasn't dead, obviously.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join