It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Congressional Black Caucus voted to preserve police militarization.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
rare.us... bers-voted-to-militarize-the-police/

As Ed Krayewski has noted, in June, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) sponsored an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (H.R. 4355) that would have prevented federal giveaways of military equipment to local police departments around the country. “My amendment,” explained Grayson, “would prohibit the Department of Defense from gifting excess equipment, such as aircraft—including drones—armored vehicles, grenade launchers, silencers, and bombs to local police departments. Those weapons have no place in our streets, regardless of who may be deploying them.” The amendment went down to spectacular defeat, with just 62 votes in favor and 355 against. [Democrat Rep. John Lewis] voted for the amendment, but he was joined by just seven (out of a total of 41 House members with voting privileges) of his Congressional Black Caucus colleagues: John Conyers (MI-13), Donna Edwards (MD-04), Keith Ellison (MN-05), Mike Honda (CA-17), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Bobby Scott (VA-03), Maxine Waters (CA-43). As Krayewski noted, among the African-American members of Congress voting against the amendment (and thus in favor of continued federally aided militarization of police): Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.), who represents Ferguson.

Here is the synopsis: In June 2014, Rep. Grayson proposed to stop the Pentagon's 1033 program, which is what distributes millions and millions of dollars of military grade weapons to the local cops. The amendment failed, with the majority of the Congressional Black Caucus supporting its failure.

Note that Ferguson's own congressman is Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.); he is a member of the CBC, and he voted against demilitarizing police.

It's election time; The New York Times called out the CBC campaigning on what happened in Ferguson by throwing their voting past in their face, since they are down there trying to get the black vote in the middle of the chaos.

I've said it repeatedly that Ferguson was a social experiment and not about race. Just more supportive evidence to add to my synopsis. As many ATSer has said, both Democrats and Republicans regardless of race are playing for the same side.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

Note that Ferguson's own congressman is Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.); he is a member of the CBC, and he voted against demilitarizing police.

It's election time; The New York Times called out the CBC campaigning on what happened in Ferguson by throwing their voting past in their face, since they are down there trying to get the black vote in the middle of the chaos.

I've said it repeatedly that Ferguson was a social experiment and not about race. Just more supportive evidence to add to my synopsis. As many ATSer has said, both Democrats and Republicans regardless of race are playing for the same side.

If that's the case then disband the Black Caucus. Why do we need a "Black" caucus if it's not about race? If they're down there trying to get the black vote, it's about race.

Black Caucus Stumps . . . .
edit on 9/3/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Now it's obvious that the Progressives are 100% in favor of a police state.

And yes, I know many Republicans voted against getting rid of 1033 as well.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Also, politicians are going to vote in order to go along with party lines and then near election time, peal off to whats popular at the time. That's no secret.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

And yes, I know many Republicans voted against getting rid of 1033 as well.

Why? Are all black people, or at least all the black people represented by the Black Caucus, progressives?

Maybe, they didn't like the wording. If the military was not allowed to gift these items, then the PDs would purchase them.

edit on 3-9-2014 by windword because: punctuation

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I heard a good one the other day.

" The police need military gear, encase of another terrorist attack."

Are we expecting an militant army to march down our streets?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Is this not proof that everyone is playing for the same team?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Sorry, I didn't want to add this in an edit, and I can't let this go.

From the OP citation:

Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) sponsored an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (H.R. 4355) that would have prevented federal giveaways of military equipment to local police departments around the country. “My amendment,” explained Grayson, “would prohibit the Department of Defense from gifting excess equipment, such as aircraft—including drones—armored vehicles, grenade launchers, silencers, and bombs to local police departments.

Grayson received more votes for "progressive hero" from Democracy for America than any other candidate in the country.
en.wikipedia.org...

Alan Grayson says what all progressives think. He’s not afraid to stand up to Wall Street and the big corporations. And on the campaign trail, he’s not afraid to run as a bold progressive.
boldprogressives.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

If that's the case then disband the Black Caucus. Why do we need a "Black" caucus if it's not about race? If they're down there trying to get the black vote, it's about race.

Just saw this post...Im all for disbanding the Black Caucus. Reminds me of the carpetbaggers and the black politicians scaming the sharecroppers in Reconstruction. They are almost chosen pets for Congress at this point and like NAACP, SCLC, Urban League and CORE, unnecessary in this day and time.
edit on 3-9-2014 by ArchPlayer because: Every Bathroom Is Calcutta In July.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Just saw this post...Im all for disbanding the Black Caucus. Reminds me of the carpetbaggers and the black politicians scaming the sharecroppers in Reconstruction. They are almost chosen pets for Congress at this point and like NAACP, SCLC, Urban League and CORE, unnecessary in this day and time.

Wow, we finally agree on something.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

a likely story.

they knew it wouldn't pass, so some "made it look good".

it's an election year and Progressive/Democrats are nervous.

very nervous.

all puppy-petting and kitten-brushing Red Herrings.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Regardless of what they voted....these guys are all scared shirtless of the American people....they ride the back of a gigantic beast with greater and greater unease as their corruption and collusion with the enemies of the people is becoming common knowledge among us......There will come a day when the peoples voice will be heard....and these clowns are hoping to pilfer their graft and get out before that great morning breaks upon America....

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

a likely story.

very nervous.

pffft.

Way to deflect. Blame the Democrats for their bill not passing, because they really want a police state!

Pffft.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

a likely story.

very nervous.

pffft.

Way to deflect. Blame the Democrats for their bill not passing, because they really want a police state!

Pffft.

Phffft.

Look at the horrible vote results !

Look at the phony weak effort !

An obvious Red Herring -- Phffffft.

The correct approach would have been to eliminate the whole thing !

None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to transfer aircraft (including unmanned aerial vehicles), armored vehicles, grenade launchers, silencers, toxicological agents (including chemical agents, biological agents, and associated equipment), launch vehicles, guided missiles, ballistic missiles, rockets, torpedoes, bombs, mines, or nuclear weapons (as identified for demilitarization purposes outlined in Department of Defense Manual 4160.28)

Nuclear Weapons? Ballistic Missiles? Torpedoes?

Phffffft !

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Look at the horrible vote results !

Look at the phony weak effort !

An obvious Red Herring -- Phffffft.

The correct approach would have been to eliminate the whole thing !

None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to transfer aircraft (including unmanned aerial vehicles), armored vehicles, grenade launchers, silencers, toxicological agents (including chemical agents, biological agents, and associated equipment), launch vehicles, guided missiles, ballistic missiles, rockets, torpedoes, bombs, mines, or nuclear weapons (as identified for demilitarization purposes outlined in Department of Defense Manual 4160.28)

Nuclear Weapons? Ballistic Missiles? Torpedoes?

Phffffft !

Yes! It's definitely evidence that all them progressives are secretly all out for a police state! And let's disband those useless Uncle Tom wanna be's, Black Caucus, who just don't know how to vote!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Wow, we finally agree on something.

Scary. Next thing you know Jesse Jackson may go to jail or something for conspiring to kill past leaders....

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

yes, i agree too. someone should tell them. lol!

what white guy, is gonna go down that road!?

i don't even think captain america could go there.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
While I think those members who voted against it should pay a political price by getting thrown out on their asses,disbanding the caucus would be premature and I say.. Hell To The NO! anyone not deaf, blind or being willfully ignorant knows damned well we are not at that color blind post racial America just yet,not while North Carolina just passed the most restrictive voting rights bill since jim crow and more states chomping at the bits to follow suit, if we are gonna disband the Black Caucus then go ahead and disband the Tea party since they do more damage and are more divisive than the caucus ever was.
edit on 4-9-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
While I think those members who voted against it should pay a political price by getting thrown out on their asses,disbanding the caucus would be premature and I say.. Hell To The NO! anyone not deaf, blind or being willfully ignorant knows damned well we are not at that color blind post racial America just yet,not while North Carolina just passed the most restrictive voting rights bill since jim crow and more states chomping at the bits to follow suit, if we are gonna disband the Black Caucus then go ahead and disband the Tea party since they do more damage and are more divisive than the caucus ever was.

jim crow?

furgeson took care of that.

do you know what east st. louis is like? no you don't. haven't seen many here that do. so don't feel bad.

are you black or a progressive lib?

i would be more respectful of your opinion if you were a white publican.

don't get me wrong, any opinion, is just that. an opinion.

doesn't matter who we are.

where is the "white caucus"?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I was led to believe that these items never were "gifted," but rather were sold to police departments. The reason I say this is because when I checked the site to see what hardware the police in my area received, I noticed that there were prices beside all of the items. Granted, the prices were much, much cheaper than the regular prices, but if I remember correctly they were still something on the order of 20% of the original price. So are they truly giving the stuff away, or just selling it cheaply?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join