It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childhood "Night terrors" .. anyone else?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

Once, about 6 years ago, I woke up in the morning (broad daylight filled my room) to find a tall black shadowy figure bent over staring at me. Its face was about 8 inches away from mine. When it realized that I was fully awake, it ran out of my room through a closed door (like a ghost). I could hear and feel the vibrations of its massive footsteps as it ran. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me. I didnt notice any hair or any defined features, it was just a tall 3d shadow.

Other times, Ive been woken up with giant spiders jumping on my face. By the time I fall out of bed, there is no sign of any such thing. I believe they call them astral spiders. Sometimes they are small transparent spiders with silver gears inside them. Those usually disappear into thin air within 5 seconds.

These are my waking experiences.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My family was friends with another family and there were two teenage boys who used to tell us they saw bigfoot. They had their own name for it. But to this day I don't know if they told hte truth or not. And I don't know if they dreamed it either. I do know they thought it was demonic. They were a chrisitan family. The parents didn't believe any of it.

Me and a few others in my close family sometimes have had lucid dreams. Sometimes they're scary. My brother had some juicy ones. I'm not sure of any of this really can help. I don't think anyone saw a "gorilla". I remember I used to say I slept with my eyes open. I did see a ghost. Just a figure with black eyes covered in a white sheet, standing in our hallway. Ya! Just like in a video game. I screamed and that was that.

Sometiems I wish I could remember better the dreams I had when I was a kid. Like in one dream my brother remembers me telling him about the covers being pulled away from me on my bed, but I don't remember that.
edit on 4-9-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Hmmm Growing up we were never really "religious".My grandfather is a pastor and raised all his children, including my mother, with the bible... but when she left home and started her family decided not to "force" it on us. I wonder if i had "grown up in the church" so to say, if i would have a religious reason for this episode.

ANd i should note that though i used the word "gorilla" i dont think that is an accurate representation of what i saw. I will try and find the pictures i drew as a child and upload them. I cant say for certain if my mother still has them, but my gut tell me she did. She kept everything else. lol a gorilla is how i described it at the time... But again, physically it didnt look much like a gorilla aside from the dark color and what appeared to be hair. I remember its stance was huge though, to me at the time. I should also note that at no time did it directly interact with me. I was terrified instantly when i saw it... but it never "attacked" me or tried to. I dont even remember that it "followed" me when i ran to the bathroom. Other than the loud deep labored breathing it didnt make a sound. For a "nightmare" - the more i think about it - it wasnt that "scary" at all. Well clearly it terrified me- but im still not sure why. I remember feeling like it was there for me, that it wanted to take me or something along those lines. But again there was no reason for me to feel that way as it had not reacted in that way at all.

Ive often, even as an adult, laid in my bed and kinda hoped that it would return. Not because i want to experience that type of terror... but so that i could react in a logical way. Then maybe atleast if it were just some figment of my imagination i could rest assured without any doubt.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I always had night terrors when i was a kid. The worst one's where when i woke up in the middle of the night absolutely shaking from head to toe but for the life of me i could not recall what the dream was about. This happened on numerous occasions. I tend to think whatever it was scared me so much that my mind deliberately blanked it out.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

I still do this sometimes. Nowadays i very rarely remember any of my dreams, but i will wake up and either have that panic/scared feeling... or more than likely i will wake up feeling sad, hurt, upest, etc. as if i had just witnessed something Emotionally strenuous but have no recolection of it at all. maybe i am still having the same dreams I did as a child just dont remember because my mind is blanking them out... hmmm never thought of that. Interesting.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The black hairy thing sounds very similar to what I encountered when I was 4-5. I have a thread about it. I was blown away when reading your account and you described what it looked like.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

wow thanks for posting, i went and read up on your thread.... it is very interesting.

There was this noise. It sounded like a feed-back noise, swirling, going from high pitch to low pitch---that's the only way that I can describe it but it was haunting and still haunts me today. I saw a silhoutte standing about fifteen feet from me. All I could see was the black outline. It wasn't shaped like a human at all. It was big and had red glowing eyes and I could see that it had long hair but I wasn't terrified of it. I sensed or felt that it wanted me to run across these six or seven boards and go back to my house and enter it. So I did just that! I ran like the wind and when I climbed the steps onto the porch I tryed to get in but the door was locked! I beat on the door and my dad came, half asleep and opened the door. He asked me "what the hell'r you doing outside" as he rushed me back to bed. My parents had already gotten home and been asleep and my grand parents had already left by the time I came back in? I had no idea how I'd gotten outside.

Was this a one-time encounter? Or have you ever had the same experience since then? It is fascinating... what do YOU think you saw?

ETA; I have always remembered the thing having red, glowing eyes... but i left that part out specifically because I always assumed that was some type of embellishment that my child-mind added in . After all, monsters have to have red glowing eyes lol... interesting that yours had it as well.
edit on 483026410am30America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Reading through this thread brought up a lot of memories.

When I was a child, my sister and I both had horrible nightmares, particularly my sister. She would wake up screaming and running through the house ( as would I but hers were to the ntheenth degree). But strangely, they never seemed to occur after 3 am. I used to wake up and look at the clock, especially after I grew a bit older, and knew that my sister wouldn't wake up. I don't remember a lot about my dreams but I distinctly remember my sister telling us that a black, hairy monster was after her. It scared the crap out of me.

Years later, my sister's daughters have the same type of nightmares. I only have sons and they haven't shown any tendencies towards these incidents. Could there be a genetic or gender reasoning?

I have had a lot of "high strangeness" in my life that doesn't seem to be pigeonholed into one type. My sister has not; she is extremely religious to a near radicalized point and is an educator. Additionally, she doesn't seem to "remember" anything about her life past the point of 12....I mean, nothing. We moved to Florida when I was 14 and she was 12 and that's all she remembers. No friends from our old school; nothing about our old house; and nothing about our grandmother (who died when she was 14).

Sorry to digress a bit but I just had chills reading about the nightmares. I can still see her wildly running through the house, eyes open, screaming . This stopped for both of us at about 8 or 10. She doesn't remember the nights and was shocked that my mother and I knew what was sorta happening to her daughters.

There was, at least on my part and I'm pretty confident on hers, there was no sexual abuse. I have had episodes of memory lapses( possible missing time) but that has been because of my strange experiences. Maybe she has had some, too, but I believe it could be something genetic or environmental.

Great thread. Star and Flag.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Malraux

Thanks for sharing!

To my knowledge my family hasnt experience the same type of dream. I know my sister when she was younger would sleep walk a lot but never the night terrors/waking dreams that i was consumed with for the first decade or so of my life. I wonder how many other people have seen this "figure" in their dreams. Logically i find it hard to believe that one's dreams can be even remotely related to another persons... but i have always been open (as stated already ) to there being an alternate explanation.

You mentioned that her daughters were/are having the same type of dream? Do they have the same figure? How old are they or were they when they had the dreams?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
hi,
i have had these waking dreams all my life.
It is very hard to describe them to someone who hasn't had them. I am able to move and interact, (i have never had sleep paralysis), At the time i feel that i am wide awake, and that everything makes sense.I can move around, and talk to people. It is not till i truly wake up that i realize i was dreaming.
They have varied in content, from the ridiculous to the terrifying ! ive had them every were i have slept. Once when i was in a hotel room, and was about to leg it out of the door, was particularly scary, cos i only had my knickers on!
They tend to increase in times of stress, and now im older i have more control over hem, im less likely to run for it and scream!
there have only been a coupla times, when i thought maybe there was more to it, then just my overactive imagination!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's possible you're experiencing the effects of endogenous D M T production.

I've done Ayahuasca while alone in the rainforest... moonlight on D M T looks very very blue, which makes me think your description of the event is an effect of having high doses of the substances in your system--literally dreaming while awake.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It was a one-time encounter. I just wonder if we were in the presence of the same thing? Our descriptions sort of sound like MothMan, but I don't know. It's also odd because we live in the same area, generally speaking, of course. I think we may've encountered the same thing. Awesome

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JonButtonIII

Hmm that is an interesting point i hadn't thought of. While i have throughout my life experimented with different controlled substances , hallucinogenics have never been something ive wanted to try. Well D M T specifically i have read a lot about and thought about a lot.... but because of my overly vivid imagination and my history of horrible "terrors" ive been afraid to. I wouldnt want to say take a hit of acid then suddenly be my 10yo self again running from these hallucinations..

BUt yes in my memory it was all very blue. bright whiteish/blue... the light coming in from the window, the color on the walls... and come to think of it a lot of my night terrors occurred in that "blue light". I can remember not being able to sleep at night on my occasions and going to the window and looking out at the field and woods behind the house and it looked like daylight, only bathed in a bright blue. I always just assumed it was twilight from a full moon or close to a full moon...

I didnt realize that D M T was natrually produced by your body while in REM sleep... I wonder if my brain was just simply over producing the D M T and then after puberty ( about when the dreams stopped) my brain chemistry worked it self out... very interesting.

THANKS! for the input

edit on 443026402pm30America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Yes that is odd... ive often toyed with the idea that it was something that came through the open window vs something that came through my open mind. I dont know that i subscribe to the "mothman" idea persay... But it is interesting never the less.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I would like to say that your fears of hallucinagens are most likely unfounded. The hallucinations aren't what you have been lead to believe, they "shouldn't" have you running around like a 10 year old from monsters, it just doesn't work like that unfortunately or fortunately depending on your goals. You won't be seeing any pink elephants sitting in the living room or anything like that. Noted I should say I can't speak on behalf of '___' or Ayahuasca as I haven't tried either of those.

I would suggest that anyone that is old enough and mentally stable enough dabble in these substances. I think they are a great learning experience and allow for tremendous insight into ourselves and the world around us. Like everything in life, moderation is the key. If you ever get the opportunity again, I suggest you give it more consideration for your own sake.
edit on 9/8/2014 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
You may not believe this, but I had very similar experiences as a child! I also saw a strange (grey?) hand (just a hand) between the bed and the wall, as well as a huge black figure in the doorway of my bedroom. My dad wasn't home at the time and my mom said she never checked on me that night (I remember talking to her about this the next day). I was very nervous and scared as a child with child hood OCD and seeing ghosts etc . I also worried about 'being taken away' for being naughty.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I suffered from terrible night terrors from a toddler till I was about 15, a tall dark figure chasing me trying to strangle me, I used to call it the devil. My mother had and still has night terror of being strangled, she tries jumping out windows and all trying to escape what is happening to her and her father, my grandfather suffered from strangulation night terrors also. My mother never talks about them after and my grandfather is no longer here. Mine eventually stopped when during one of the terrors I turned and confronted the dark figure, it stopped dead in its tracks and was furious, it's voice was terrifying but I stood my ground and since that night when I was a teen I haven't had one since.
edit on 9-9-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I believe you. Ok listen carefully. .dreams are not dreams, they are our astral bodies visiting any one of the infinite dimensions.

There are entities that get a kick out of/vampire negative energy from you and they hang out in the lower dimensions. You unknowingly access these dimensions if you project negatively before sleep..so fear, anger, stress, depression etc.

What they know but most of us don't, is that we are possibly the most powerful things to ever exist..creating with pure thought..mini gods if you will.

So if a nasty comes up and scares you..confront your fear..stare back. Say telepathically You don't scare me..go in peace.. words to that effect. .and if it tries further then shower it with love or turn it into a fluffy bunny rabbit..whatever you want..if they really persist..then imagine exploding its atoms and spreading them across the stars.

Go on youtube and look for Rich2150x he has the answers you are looking for.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is one of the threads that have made me decide to come back.This happened to me too,as a child,this thing always chased me also.I would have awful night terrors,from first memory,around age 3,for years,throughout my whole young childhood.This thing that you describe would chase me,i would run,but you know that no matter how fast you run,you don't seem to get far,like running through treacle.Then when it caught up with me,it would rake my back with what felt like a claw-a truly hideous feeling.I would wake up screaming blue murder,and arching my back like a bow to get away from that horrible touch.I remember on one occasion i was almost falling out of the bed from the arching and trying to escape it.

It was never painful,rather ticklish,but even as a child it felt like an unclean disgusting feeling,it was worse than pain.The worst was that for a minute or two after waking i could still feel that horrible tickle-scratch on my back.This went on for years,like i said,at least once a month,i'm sure.Till one night,i was not a teenager yet,even before age 11/12-i had this night terror again,and this time i was just too sick and tired of all the years of the pointless running-so in my childish way i thought basically "bugger this,no more running".So i just stood and waited for it.It came up behind me,did the scratch and i screamed myself awake.I was very pleased that i'd found a way to shorten the terror and get the ordeal over with quicker-but you know,it never returned.To this day,and i'm almost 50 now,it never came back once.I think maybe it was after my terror,my trying in vain to run away,to escape it.I was just too fed-up,too sick and tired to be afraid anymore.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Welcome back!

What a creepy thing to be messing with someone!

Glad you managed to fight it off and show it that you were in control of your emotions and not it.

Still, that just gives me a creepy feeling....ewwwwwwwww

When I was a teenager I would see a skeletal figure that would come out of the dark at me a lot reaching out to grab me.
Not the same as a night terror, but your story gave me the same creepy feeling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join