It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death-Ray Bomber!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well, actually, it's a picture of the first landing of the Airborne Laser (ABL) aircraft, a hypermodified Boeing 747-400.

Boeing is the prime contractor and systems integrator for the ABL weapon system, which places a megawatt-class, high-energy chemical oxygen iodine laser on a 747-400F to detect, track and destroy ballistic missiles in the boost phase of flight.

ZZZZZZAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Maybe some links

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Here's a sort of layman's overview:

www.fas.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is not a new thing at all. It is basically a large laser (actually dual) put in a large Boeing aircraft.

They have experimented with different types of power sources, but the huge energy demands of the system require a chemical reaction to produce the energy and fast "recharge" time. Here are some links for more information.

www.boeing.com...

This is another really good info page with many links on it for reference and more details.

www.fas.org...

Realize that not everything with this project has been smooth sailing-like it ever is! Please see next link for scandals!

www.g2mil.com...

Where as the system has been fire at missiles, it has not been tested on an ICBM-even ours. It WAS supposed to be ready for 04 testing but has been put back to 05-follow the linky

Hope this helps educate on the system and what it does and does not do.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
what was that Off_The_Street?

Trying to catch people eye buy saying its a "Death-Ray Bomber", then when they click they relize its just the ABL.
trickery

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
look up shiva star in google its the base for the ABL and THEL

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This link talks about a laser fighter: NO there isn't one that we know of now but the Training Modules are already being set up!

www.de.afrl.af.mil...

Just adding to the discussion.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here's an interesting bit of information:

The af site said that they had a simulation lab with a 6-DOF simulator in Mesa Arizona. 6-DOF sims are very expensive, and the only one I knew about was where I work. But I tracked down the website of the lab (which, by the way, I'd never heard of, and I kind of figured I would have).

The website listed the address as S Kent Street, also which I'd never heard of. Sure enough, when I got a google map, and searched by zipcode and map, there was no "Kent St." anyplace there.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Murcielago says:

"Trying to catch people eye buy saying its a "Death-Ray Bomber", then when they click they relize its just the ABL. trickery"

And it worked, didn't it?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
LOL it sure did Off_the_Street! (perhaps we should call you OtS)...

Weren't the F-35's planned to have a laser system as well in the future?

and what 27mm gun will they get anyway?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
LOL it sure did Off_the_Street! (perhaps we should call you OtS)...

Weren't the F-35's planned to have a laser system as well in the future?

and what 27mm gun will they get anyway?

Raytheon is working on a solid state 100kw laser that is planned for the F-35, the ACX and other platforms. There are multiple posts on ATS dealing with this subject~

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This should help explain things a bite.

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Speaking of Death Rays, whatever happened to 'ol "Death Ray" Matthews' designs, anyone know if any of his death ray designs have anything to do with modern lasers and 'projected energy weapons'? Other than having served as vague 'inspiration'?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Um....Question. If this thing can theoretically hit outbound missiles and sestroy them, could it as easily hit other planes? An anti-aircraft aircraft, from hundreds of miles away.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulforge
Um....Question. If this thing can theoretically hit outbound missiles and sestroy them, could it as easily hit other planes? An anti-aircraft aircraft, from hundreds of miles away.

I would imagine so, though that responsability lies with the Raptor and legions of F-15's. The ABL is a bit too valuable to be wasting shots on other aircraft IMHO.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I suppose it would depend on whether the ABL can out-range a BVR missile by a sufficient margin to ensure the safety of the large slow moving carrier aircraft. Its an interesting idea to picture a fleet of these patrolling the skies like aerial battleships.

top topics

join