It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UC investigates threatening phone call, tweet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

An anonymous phone call to the University of Cincinnati at noon on Wednesday threatened that someone would shoot people on campus and has spurred an investigation by campus police.
Police don't believe the threat is credible, but interim UC Police Chief Jeff Corcoran asked in an email to students and staff for people to be alert and report any suspicious phone calls, texts or electronic communication.
At the same time of the phone call, bomb threats were made on Twitter against schools across Ohio, including UC, Corcoran wrote in the email.
"At this time we have no reason to believe either of these threats is credible," Corcoran wrote. "But we are investigating the source of both the phone call and the Twitter messages."

UC investigates threatening phone call, tweet

A friend and student at the university texted me and brought this to my attention.
I attended UC for two years so this is interesting and frightening.

I will update if I hear anything else

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Not to belittle how serious this is but, the last time I read about a school and bomb threats it turned out someone didn't want to take finals.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I hope it's just a very bad prank. If not, then... scary and sick.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I'm hoping that's all it is, a bunch of schools apparently received similar threats all over Ohio but the article didn't disclose which schools

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, but at my last job (in a factory) we had a bomb threat called in. It was pretty unreal to hear the evacuation being ordered over the intercom. Usually we were just hearing people say things like "Jim to the WK line, Jim to the WK". Everyone in my area gave each other the "Did I really just hear that?" look and once we realized what was being said it was instant pandemonium. We were evacuated from the property and couldn't even get into the parking lot to get our cars and go home.

The bomb squad came in and swept the building...about 6 hours later we were cleared to get our cars and go home. Turned out it was a disgruntled ex-employee who had just got fired and the call was traced to the store down the street from the shop.

The big thing was the lasting emotional distress that it put on everyone, our shop already had a few incidents of non-employees coming in and fighting our workers over personal issues while they were on the clock. Now add a legit bomb threat call and everyone was on edge for a few months afterwards. Maybe 5 weeks afterwards a third shift cell leader forgot his briefcase after his shift, and someone on my shift noticed it in the parking lot. It was standing vertical and not near any parked cars, so it seemed very out of place. At that point everyone was reminded of the bomb threat and there was a good amount of panic in the shop. The bosses were frantically trying to figure out who the briefcase belonged to, trying everything they could to avoid the very expensive call to the police regarding a possible explosive device. About halfway through our shift here comes the third shift cell leader casually strolling into the building asking if anyone found his briefcase...he had to live with a few less-than-flattering nicknames for a while after that.

Knowing there has been a threat like this about a place you attend daily (school or work in my case) takes a certain toll on your mental state. Sucks for the guys and gals that attend the school(s) that receive these threats, I can only imagine what it does to some of their thought processes and how it manifests itself in their work...I hope it was just some dumbass playing a prank...and I hope they find them and put our legal system to good use.

top topics

join