Sarah Palin to Tina Fey "“You need to at least pay for my kids’ braces"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Einstein equated nationalism with racism.

Culture tends to be in a similar category of "something you are born into". And feeling superior because of a birthright, or some such, is really at the core of what "racism" is.

Is it different if I think I am better than you because I am not some bumpkin, missing his teeth? Or if i think I am better than you because I am Catholic/Protestant/Muslim/Hindu?

Speaking of Hindu....is it right that because I am a "dalit" that you would consider yourself to be so far superior to me that you wouldn't even recognize my existence?

Its all about what you are born into, and believing that it makes you superior. Its all the same thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
BigFatFurry you've gone and made good sense again! I think the country/urban culture clash as "racism" would be a good topic for its own thread.

The past couple of years I have had to attend a ton of meetings and work with a ton of executives. They seem to be very similar - ladder climbers who talk all the time. I am starting to think of them the same as the jokes that say "How do you know when a _____ is lying? His mouth is open." This seems to be the urban ideal - I have plenty of coworkers who aspire to be executives. I am far from being "country" - I was an Air Force brat and grew up on and near bases. But I, too, see a huge difference between different local cultures, in my area, that are not due to race as we typically think about it. So there is another example of such.

Not sure if it is something you are "born into" or something you identify with. There are those who identify LGBT and no matter their race, religion, or background. There are those who identify themselves primarily through their religion. Those who identify as intellectual, or gun owners, or by their political leanings.

edit on 6-0920149-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

That is true but race and culture do overlap and there are distinct sub races in an immigrant nation like America. Being in ND at the moment I've been digging the descendants of German and Scandinavian farmers for example. The blondes are great, It's like nothing I've seen in California. But then I've also seen some completely alien types... bigger than me with jaws like Gretta Von Sustren walking with a limp and carrying a permanent scowl. I see them and think of Kerouac writing

well-meaning awkward Protestants who are on a group excursion for a binge and want to but don't understand how to insert the contraception. These people must be assholes," he added in a sudden straight revelation. "The milk around here must be fine but more cows than people. This must be a different race of Anglos up here, I don't particularly warm up to their appearance. The fast kids around here must go thirty-four miles
edit on Sat 6 Sep 2014 by The Vagabond because: (no reason given)
edit on Sat 6 Sep 2014 by The Vagabond because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join