It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France halts warship delivery to Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

France has said conditions are "not right" for delivery of the first of two Mistral assault navy ships to Russia.

President Francois Hollande's office blamed Moscow's recent actions in Ukraine.

France had until now resisted pressure to halt the delivery.

Correspondents say the EU has struggled to tighten sanctions against Russia, restricting itself to travel bans and asset freezes against individuals.

France halts warship delivery to Russia

Another interesting development with regards to Ukraine - France has now confirmed it will not (at the moment, at least) release the newly constructed, Mistral Class assault ship. Albeit, the ship was only a bare bones hull, with Russia supposed to be outfitting the ship upon delivery, but this is a blow to Russian ambitions to modernise it's Naval forces.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Wonder if Russia will get a refund or compensation

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

LOL

I bet the manufacturers will love that. No boat...no dinero.

The price to pay for global capitalist market.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

I doubt they paid in advance. Who the hell does that ?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

I doubt they paid in advance. Who the hell does that ?

They did as far as I'm aware, no military order is made without collateral up front.

EDIT: I read a report saying they had but there's also reports they haven't

edit on 3-9-2014 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If i remember the people in the one area there wanted to be part of Russia voted and it is so. Russia should protect Russia that area is Russia now. You people that support Israel and won't support Russia i don't get. Where is your reason? Israel is some how entitled to that land even though the people there don't want to be part of Israel. But people there want to be part of Russia and were Russia before and that is not ok. WOW get real. I am not say all of Ukraine just that area that the majority voted. Ukraine should leave them alone and stop attacking then and the rest of the world should mind their own business.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I say good on France for not being an enabler!

Maybe that will start a domino effect of other countries that will put the clamps down on Russia tight enough to get them to back off of this ridiculous elementary-school playground bullying and war posturing.

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Military contracts generally have set points where payments are made. If they don't meet those points penalties can be imposed, so the payment amount is lower. If they're ahead of schedule then bonuses can be included.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

If i remember the people in the one area there wanted to be part of Russia voted and it is so.

And if I remember correctly that vote was a farce.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The French economy is in the toilet along with the rest of Europe and the USA. What Europeean leaders and ours as well fail to get through their thick skulls is Russia is an energy INDEPENDENT nation! WWIII could break out and the Russian people would be fine. Europe couldn't last a winters week without Russia. The US wouldn't last a month without cheap ME oil. THAT is the difference! A very big one. Europe needs Russia a hell of a lot more than Russia needs the EU. Russian people are tough sons of biotches. The French? Lol

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
I say good on France for not being an enabler!

Maybe that will start a domino effect of other countries that will put the clamps down on Russia tight enough to get them to back off of this ridiculous elementary-school playground bullying and war posturing.

~Namaste

Oh really? And maybe the west can quit encircling Russia with its NATO allies and quit renigging on their agreement not to expand NATO. The bottomline is the US should be making allies with Russia and embracing Russia and Putin. 8% of the worlds population is white, America and Europe need Russia if white people are to survive the coming onslaught against them.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I wonder what inducements were used for this reversal. It was only 3 - 4 weeks ago they were saying they were proceeding with their contractual obligation, despite calls for it to be cancelled.

Maybe Hollande shouldn't have put those photos of himself nude, with the Nun, the goat and the barrel of custard on iCloud! It was always going to come back to blackmail him via the NSA.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

That is so inaccurate and ill informed its almost weird.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Military contracts generally have set points where payments are made. If they don't meet those points penalties can be imposed, so the payment amount is lower. If they're ahead of schedule then bonuses can be included.

but surely additional substantial amount is still to be payed...? Probably more than half.

Probably the sole reason why France was reluctant to stop the delivery in the first place. Money talks.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
The French economy is in the toilet along with the rest of Europe and the USA. What Europeean leaders and ours as well fail to get through their thick skulls is Russia is an energy INDEPENDENT nation! WWIII could break out and the Russian people would be fine. Europe couldn't last a winters week without Russia. The US wouldn't last a month without cheap ME oil. THAT is the difference! A very big one. Europe needs Russia a hell of a lot more than Russia needs the EU. Russian people are tough sons of biotches. The French? Lol

Well, Canada's and Norway's natural gas exports alone could easily cover the loss of Russian world-wide exports, albeit at the loss of supply to others. Given there's an overall surplus of natural gas as evidenced by its low cost and the fact oil refineries flare it off because of lack of demand, I suspect the world could get by without Russia.

Additionally, Russia is highly dependent on imported food products as evidenced by recent issues revolving around Russia's ban on western food source imports.

So we could get by without their hydrocarbons. Combine that with the west not sending them food and Russia would face hyperinflation and economic depression.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

It's usually anywhere from 50-75% paid at completion depending on the contract terms, plus bonuses if any.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: roth1
Russia should protect Russia that area is Russia now.

Not exactly. I'm sure that's what the Russian gov't tells you over there.
But that's not true at all. The Ukraine and Russia are two different countries.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Everyone thinks that the vote to be part of Russia was not fair. They say that but they don't call for a new vote. Seems like more of a stab to attack Russia than what is right or wrong. Take a new vote let there be international mediators and let the majority win. It's easy solution. But it seems no one wants a solution they love their wars. They love to hate those that are different. Not once did i hear anything about a new vote. Just attack against Russians intentions when the people there in Crimea wanted this to start with not Russia. Russia is supporting its citizens. Good for Russia shame on most of you for not caring about majority rule. Haters and war lovers. Call for a vote if you are genuine. Stop attacking Russia for supporting the vote there. Should the president keep power here in the USA by force if he is voted out?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I wonder if that French bank who got fined by the US for billions now don't have to pay for giving up selling these ships to Russia.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: roth1
Should the president keep power here in the USA by force if he is voted out?

The president can't keep power when he is voted out. It doesn't work that way here in the USA. It might over in your Russia, but not here. The system doesn't allow for it.

France has decided to halt delivery of warships to Russia. Good for France! It's their right as a free market society to decide which countries they'll support or not. France doesn't like Russias behavior so it's cut off delivery. Now if only the USA would decide it doesn't like certain countries behaviors and we cut off 'foreign aid' to them as well. We should take a cue from France.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join