It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like to live for 1000 years?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You and me both Amorymeltzer
Did you check out the link I posted on the first page of this thread. Its about the first evern age reversal prize being awarded. I'm very surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
theyseeall, as always, is right on the money.

ive wanted, above all things, to be able to live for a long time. its a major problem i have with the world that i wont live to see what will happen, what will become. i know we wont become a space farig people in my lifetime, but in 700 years, maybe. id like to see that.

itd be unbearable to keep aging. after 150, itd be torture for ages. id chose somethign around 25 or so, perfect physical condition. id eat a lot healthier, too.

OH GOD you have no idea how much i want this.

thank you so much for the nice comment

and yes it would be cool to live in a 20 year old's body for 1000 years...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Some Scientists believe that it is possible to live to 5000 years old

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Your body stops aging after you reach a certain age about 94-95 I think. Then whatever makes your body age just stops Im not sure if scientist know why this is but if they could trigger it early on it might make humans live alot longer.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Take it from a guy that has been around for a long time... its not about how long you live, but its about what you did when you had the chance. As each day passes you are not going to remember very waking second, but instead you will remember the moments that made a difference in your life, like when you first fell in love or when you first found yourself and said this is how I want to live my life. Life is all about these moments. It doesnt matter if you live for 10,000 years, if you regret it all in the end. Live life like it was ment to be... because many people will never even have a chance at a decent life, so never forget to be humble and selfless...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Take it from a guy that has been around for a long time... its not about how long you live, but its about what you did when you had the chance. As each day passes you are not going to remember very waking second, but instead you will remember the moments that made a difference in your life, like when you first fell in love or when you first found yourself and said this is how I want to live my life. Life is all about these moments. It doesnt matter if you live for 10,000 years, if you regret it all in the end. Live life like it was ment to be... because many people will never even have a chance at a decent life, so never forget to be humble and selfless...

WISE WORDS

i vote for long, meaningful life. nothing like taking a fantastic opportunity and running with it. might as well run a long way.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Some Scientists believe that it is possible to live to 5000 years old

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't some holy books(like the Quran, The Bible etc etc) Talk about people living hundreds of years and that at least in the Bible Methusala was the last one to live 700 years or somthing. Do you guys think that some of our religous texts might be telling of a time where technology was higher then it was today? I know this theory has been posted before, but I believe that it could answer alot of questions of our pre-history. And I'm usally not one to specualte on things in the past because I prefer to look into the future but it would be neat IMO if we could prove this.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I would enjoy living 1000 years as long as I knew that the majority of loved ones around me would live that long as well, give or take a few years. Imagine the intelligence and spiritual levels we could reach in that amount of time. Problems would have to be solved for overpopulation, etc. but no worries I have a hundred years to dedicate solely to that.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Don't some holy books(like the Quran, The Bible etc etc) Talk about people living hundreds of years and that at least in the Bible Methusala was the last one to live 700 years or somthing. Do you guys think that some of our religous texts might be telling of a time where technology was higher then it was today? I know this theory has been posted before, but I believe that it could answer alot of questions of our pre-history. And I'm usally not one to specualte on things in the past because I prefer to look into the future but it would be neat IMO if we could prove this.

holy books also refer to killing of homosexuals, death for dissenters and their families, and 72 virgins upon a holy death. they also talk about purging the world in a flood and parting a sea. take it with a grain of salt.

they also talk about times when god was closer to men. they lived fro 700 years because they were close to god. there was almost no evil, and almost no bad yet. its hard to die if there's nothing to die of, and theres only 400 other people alive - gods gonna know you pretty well.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
lol, Amorymeltzer i was just asking a hypothetical question. Just like the question of whether god was just an advanced alien race.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think anyone really wanting to gt a handle on living for a long time should read Methuselah's Children and Time Enough for Love, both by Robert Heinlein, and The Boat of a Million Years, by Poul Anderson.

I don't know if I'd want to live for a thousand years, even if my mind and body were okay. I'm thinking there might be a sort of 'spiritual' anome.

Don't get me wrong; I figure I've already lived three-fourths of my life, and I'm not ready to kick off yet by any means. But a thousand years? I don't know.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong; I figure I've already lived three-fourths of my life, and I'm not ready to kick off yet by any means. But a thousand years? I don't know.

But what about another 60 or 80 years? The point is, with age regression technology you could choose how much longer you wanted to live, and when you think you've lived long enough you could just stop taking the treatments or maybe it will be a one shot thing to add say 20-30 years(1st or 2nd generation tech). I would love to have that kinda freedom.

IBM

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I dont know, what about the people you love that meant so much to you, they would pass by you. I would really like to, but I think I would go insane thinking about my family that I would miss. Imagine thinking about your poor old grandma......., your cousins etc....I mean you would have lots of sex and all, but it might not be worth it.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I heard it before that's it's not necessarily how long you live but about the quality of life that you have. What if someone gets in a serious injury at age 500 but will have to live with missing limbs and have a miserable life for 500 more years? I wouldn't want that. What if there is a nuclear war 50 years from now and everyone will have to live with radiation sickness for 200 years before things slowly start to return to the before the war days? This could give new meaning to the word suicidal. If someone doesn't want to live an extra 500 or 1000 years like everyone else, they could be considered suicidal at least in a sense.

Now if the changes would make your age return just like it was as say when you were 21 or so and stay that way, there would be alot of interest in that. I would want something to regrow body organs and limbs too and fix all of the other diseases. The quality of life would need to be there. Who wants to live 500 years as a 20 year old vegetable in a hospital?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
That would be boring to live a thousand years in the same body. I like a little variety, be cast into the wind and luck determine the draw of who I will be.

I wake up every day and know what will happen that day, it becomes boring.

LL1

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Would be nice, without physically aging, but all the friends and loved
ones that were not able to live to 1000, would be so deeply missed.

We would be going through generations of loved ones and friends.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'd love to live that long, the only problem is that you couldnt live infinetly, do to the fact that in about ten billion years the universe will tear itself apart, no stars no planets no galaxys not even atoms.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
if you guys are interested in this sort of thing, you may want to join www.transhumanism.org. they are non profit org working to extend life and physical, mental, psychological capabilites, in an ethical way (ex. not only giving these technologies to the very rich), etc. they address overpopulation and many of the other issues associated with life extension.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I'd love to live that long, the only problem is that you couldnt live infinetly, do to the fact that in about ten billion years the universe will tear itself apart, no stars no planets no galaxys not even atoms.

most would see that as a blessing. eternal life is torture. extended life is, IMO, heaven.

yes, you would watch your grandmother die, but hopefully you'll witness that in a normal life. yes, your wife/husband would die, and your kids. no parent should bury their kids. but, imagine meeting your grandkids, great-grandkids, great-great-grandkids, and so on. just imagine that. there will always be love. [cliche]love never dies[/cliche]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
But only if it was available for animals like my friend here. Heqq, might even bring my wife along too.

BTW, the over-population problem would be a non-issue due to colonization of other worlds. A journey lasting years isn't so much of a problem if you live past 1000.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join