It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like to live for 1000 years?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

''Ageing is a physical phenomenon happening to our bodies, so at some point in the future, as medicine becomes more and more powerful, we will inevitably be able to address ageing just as effectively as we address many diseases today.''

''So, will this happen in time for some people alive today? Probably. Since these therapies repair accumulated damage, they are applicable to people in middle age or older who have a fair amount of that damage. ''

''I think the first person to live to 1,000 might be 60 already. ''

Pretty ambitious ideas but eventually possible i rekon, can u imagine how smart a person could get in 1000 years?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I think you would be stark raving insane after 200 years or so, and a vegetable by 1000! Perhaps a body could regenerate for that long but the mind ?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sounds great to me...but we'll have to figure out a humane, acceptable way to slow/stop/reverse the worldwide birth rate. And/or populate some more planets ...we're not even close to being able to do that yet.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That it was only through natural means, no tech or genome tampering. So
much evil would come from it, I would need that long to live just to fight against those who would abuse it.

No good could come from living that long, besides what about reincarnation?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The world would become over-populated and we would be living on top of each other. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..............living on top of supermodels........................look down alll the time..................................................yumee!!!!.......

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I would love to live over 1000, it'd be just like Futurama, kinda...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
1000 years of getting taxed!?! Hell no...lol...

Besides...how many re-runs of Friends would we be subjected to in 1000 years...that alone would be grounds enough to do a 'superman' off a very tall building...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
You guys don't see the big picture, technology will advance, you will be the ones that will be able to see other planets, universes, dimensions maybe, just imagine what exciting things you will witness!

The mind will grow, money will fade away at some point...

The possibilities are staggering!

don't let the media alter your idea of this...

as for reincarnation, I believe in it, but i'd much rather stay alive and let my knowledge accumilate in this being...it's much for practical...and we can chose whenever we want to die right?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
As much as i would like it, Iam afriad its not possible!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
i would like to live for 1000 years but i would like to be in a 20 year old body during that time

i mean, old people in their 80s look ugly (no offense) so imagine if someone was 1000!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PanzerDiv
As much as i would like it, Iam afriad its not possible!

And you made this assumption how? Check out this story on ATSNN. Interesting read.

First Aging Reversal Prize Awarded

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's more than possible, I don't know how this particular person plans to do it but it's more than possible with nanotechnology.

So cheer up! we are heading for a golden age

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I would love it and would go forth the follow my dream of my life.... BECOME A SPACE PIONEER!

im not joking either
being tormented by bueatiful robertmccall paintings and astronomy all my life notthing would stand in my way!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Screw Golding Age, We are entering the Diamond Age!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Screw Golding Age, We are entering the Diamond Age!

We should call it the Cosmic Age!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Global Population control would be insermountable (IE:very near impossible).

I believe this tech is still a few hundred years away, so unfortunatly we wont make it, unless ya get froze.

But of course as everything else, this can go both ways.
It can be good that people will all eventually own a mansion due to centuries of work, lol, But the bad news is people like Osama can also live that long.

I dont know, I think people should live longer but not forever, because you know as well as I do If you can live for 1000 years that before tou Die in the year 3000 that we will be easily advanced enough to live forever.

So I have mixed feelings on this.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Just know that this is not a sci-fi show and we are actually getting ahead of star-trek with every passing year...it doesn't take hundreds of years for us to improve so little..

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have always wanted to live a long time.
In a realitively young body.

Problems:

It might be dependant on some expensive proceedure. Will one have the money to afford it?

If large numbers of people lived long, the birth rate would have to be reduced. We are already living longer and this needs to be addressed anyway.

Living with a lighter, better organized evironmental impact would probably be a good idea.

You would have to become a cultural chameleon, adapting as culture changed so you wouldn't feel isolated and melecholy for some [familiar] past times. As you age you start using dated cultural references that younger people may have no idea about. Im in my late 40s and already see this.

It could be that 'long-lifers' would be shunned or thought of as 'immoral' by 'short-lifers'. You might have to get used to being alone. [If you have a split personality you are never alone
] Politically it might make sense to be rather obscure. I think loneliness of mind might be the worst. The ability to relate and communicate with other minds is very important to me.

The ability to see cascade of events of the future, and as importantly to experience the simple pleasures of life would be great.

If some of my immediate family members pass away, I could feel differently.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I read a sci-fi story about an over populated future, called "Tuesday".
The citizens were permitted to live one day per week and the other 6 days were put in suspended animation ! I cant remember exactly how it worked but i think you were marked somehow and if you were absent from "rollcall" or found awake on a non designated day, you were terminated. It was a bit big brother-ish. Scarey thought!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
theyseeall, as always, is right on the money.

ive wanted, above all things, to be able to live for a long time. its a major problem i have with the world that i wont live to see what will happen, what will become. i know we wont become a space farig people in my lifetime, but in 700 years, maybe. id like to see that.

itd be unbearable to keep aging. after 150, itd be torture for ages. id chose somethign around 25 or so, perfect physical condition. id eat a lot healthier, too.

OH GOD you have no idea how much i want this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join