It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21 Facts About America’s Endless Pharmaceutical Nightmare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Some interesting data about prescription medications and how it may tie into the massive pharmaceutical industry/medical treatment complex.

The claims say 30 million Americans are taking antidepressants.

It looks like many medications might be over prescribed?

Or, is our nation really this 'ill".

Some of these are dangerous and might be affecting peoples' reasoning and judgment, as well as killing them.

Don't know, but something isn't normal.

Too much "trust" in doctors?

Here's 4 ...

#1 According to the New York Times, more than 30 million Americans are currently taking antidepressants.

#2 The rate of antidepressant use among middle aged women is far higher than for the population as a whole. At this point, one out of every four women in their 40s and 50s is taking an antidepressant medication.

#3 Americans account for about five percent of the global population, but we buy more than 50 percent of the pharmaceutical drugs

#4 Americans also consume a whopping 80 percent of all prescription painkillers.

30 Million Americans On Antidepressants And 21 Other Facts About America’s Endless Pharmaceutical Nightmare

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The doctors are paid to push scripts. Number one reason in my book.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I can see some drugs being overprescribed but there seems to be a demand for them just the same. I wouldn't judge that. If anything they are guilty with handing them out too quickly rather than looking into alternatives first.

I guess some would rather take a pill and continue their bad habits instead of confronting the underlying issue. Its what drives people into madness in the first place. Living in regret, knowing you are the fake exterior shell of a person with deep internal sadness.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Lazy, greedy Doctors are a massive part of the problem. Too lazy to get to the root of a patients problem they give them Anti-Depressants every month and take their rewards from Big Pharma for doing so. Like someone once said, Doctors Destroy Health.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

Like someone once said, Doctors Destroy Health.

Some do.
A team of several saved my life 27 years ago.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth
The doctors are paid to push scripts. Number one reason in my book.

some even invest in said drug to profit from pushing it...Ritalin comes to mind

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Don't get me wrong, i don't mean all Doctors. I have long standing health problems and my Doctor has been an absolute star! But there are unfortunately some that give out drugs recommended by BP without batting an eyelid and taking their pay off.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Sorry. I must have misunderstood when you said this:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Some do.

Good for you Phage. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same experience.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1
Most have.
Else there would only be homeopaths instead of doctors.

edit on 9/3/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Let me rephrase.....Some Doctors Destroy Health.
Better?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
That's what I said.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if all on antidepressants stopped taking them? 30 million is a lot of people, if for some reason med where harder to get say due to a natural disaster. Would that 30 million add to the problem once their med's ran out.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When my husband was extremely ill I felt isolated, alone and overwhelmed.
I saw my doctor (routine appt.) he walks in the room and asks how I am doing and I completely fell apart. It must have looked, at first, like I was coming unglued. After explaining and straightening up fairly quick because I was embarassed by the situation he immediately went for his pen and pad to write a rescription.
An anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication.
I thought it was such a shame that THAT was his first response instead of simply hearing and understanding.
Of course, I never filled it and never will. I feel a lot different when I go there now. The level of trust I had in him is gone.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Some do.

Of course they did. You're not much of a cash cow for them if you're dead...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

At this point, one out of every four women in their 40s and 50s is taking an antidepressant medication.

That means that 75% of American women between 40 and 60 are walking around untreated!

That's scary!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I had Ritalin forced on me ages ago

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I had Ritalin forced on me ages ago

They prescribed haloperidol (Haldol) to me for Tourette's back about 1979/1980. I took it for a few months then decided I didn't need it. Went off cold turkey. My mama was so mad at me then, but knowing what we know now, she tells me she's glad that I had the sense to dump it.

I don't know what kind of zombie I'd be if I'd ridden that train. I may twitch and grunt a bit now, but I'm me! And I like me!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I'm another who has my life back thanks to a good doctor and a good neurologist.

But I went to another one of the docs in my regular GP's practice with what I suspected was a massive sinus infection, and the man asked one or two questions, felt my neck, never once used a stethoscope, wrote me an antibiotics scrip and sent me on my way with a diagnosis of acute bronchitis. Since I thought I had a sinus infection, I didn't protest much, but I thought it was really odd you could diagnose bronchitis without listening to lung sounds at all.

My GP is the sort who will tell you it's a virus and he can't give you an antibiotic for it, only maybe suggest some things to help with symptoms. He might give you a decongestant. He will me since he knows I have a penchant for sinus infections.

There are noted in my file warning against certain medications, and both my GP and my neuro are diligent in steering clear of them.

When I was pregnant, I got into a fight with my OB/GYN over my migraine care. She wanted me to go on a narcotic and got upset when I tried to tell her why that was a bad idea for someone with diagnosed chronic migraine to do. She wouldn't even call my neurologist to consult like I asked her to do, and she dumped me off on another OB in the practice I'd never seen at 8 months along right after I fought her suggestion. I never saw her again.

You have to find good doctors and you can't be afraid to stand up for yourself and don't be intimidated if they don't like it when you do stand up for yourself.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

You're not much of a cash cow for them if you're dead...

I'm not much of a cash cow at all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join