It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statutory Rape Victim Forced To Pay Child Support

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Nick Olivas became a father at 14, a fact he wouldn't learn for eight years.

While in high school, Olivas had sex with a 20-year-old woman. As he sees it now, she took advantage of a lonely kid going through a rough patch at home.

State law says a child younger than 15 cannot consent with an adult under any circumstance, making Olivas a rape victim. But Olivas didn't press charges and says he didn't realize at the time that it was even something to consider.

The two went their separate ways. Olivas, now 24 and living in Phoenix, graduated from high school, went to college and became a medical assistant.

Then two years ago, the state served him with papers demanding child support. That's how he found out he had a then-6-year-old daughter.

So a few things don't make a ton of sense to me. I guess the first being why this woman isn't being charged with statutory rape. I'm assuming too much time has passed, but I'm not real sure. Also, if it's against the law for someone that age to consent to sex, how can they be held accountable later just because they reach an arbitrary age?

On the one hand, I think this is horrible. On the other, I sort of feel like it's a parents responsibility to support their children.

One thing I'm very against is charging someone for back child support and interest when they weren't even aware of the child in the first place. I think the expense there should fall on the mother. I get that the state is attempting to recoup losses for paying out, but it seems wildly unfair.

Either way I'm impressed with the guy for wanting to be there for his daughter, saying that she needs a father. Also that he seems rather willing to make child support payments.

Do you think that people unaware of children they've fathered should have to pay back child support and interest? Do you think that someone who was legally unable to consent at the time of conception should have to pay child support at all?

I'm having a hard time coming up with an example, so this one will be a stretch. Say a woman gets raped, has the child but is incapable or whatever reason of taking care of it. Somehow the rapist gets custody of the kid (stretch I know). Should the woman then have to pay child support to her former rapist if she has a high paying job?

Of course everyone wants what's best for the child. I also want the father to not be thrown under the bus and financially ruined by a woman that technically raped him and kept the information from him for so long.

Link to article.

edit on 9/2/2014 by Blaine91555 because: Edited to add link to the story.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
Link?

I hope he asked for a DNA test, and I hope he requested a court hearing.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
All he has to do is press rape charges on the woman. She could not deny that she had sex with a minor.
I don't believe there is a statute of limitations on rape.
She would be a sex offender and he would get custody of the child.
Her choice.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is messed up.

She should be charged with statutory rape. Because that's what happened. Pretty simple to me.

As for the guy, he didn't know about the child, but if he's willing to take care of her now, then I don't think it's fair to make him pay for the years he didn't help out... cause how could he do that if he didn't even know about this in the first place? It's really nice of him to want to get involved now.

I feel sorry for the child, though. It doesn't sound like this woman is going to win the Mother of the Year award... ever.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

There is no statute of limitations on rape in the state (I'm not sure if that's the same everywhere but hope so).

That sort of brings up another series of questions. Is she a legit predator? 14 and 20 isn't that scary. Is that what's best for the child? Not having a mother after she's spent her entire life with her and moving in with a stranger?

If the guy was 18 the woman would be 24. We wouldn't really bat an eye at that. Still, the laws the law.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well, if the law works like this, then both those MP's which allowed teenage girls to be assaulted by Pakistanis and the perpetrators themselves should be made to pay child support.

www.dailymail.co.uk... sts-children.html

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

There is no statute of limitations on rape in the state (I'm not sure if that's the same everywhere but hope so).

That sort of brings up another series of questions. Is she a legit predator? 14 and 20 isn't that scary. Is that what's best for the child? Not having a mother after she's spent her entire life with her and moving in with a stranger?

If the guy was 18 the woman would be 24. We wouldn't really bat an eye at that. Still, the laws the law.

If the girl was 14 and the man 20, people would see the situation differently.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Completely agree. It's a little twisted that way.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The state will rigorously pursue child support in all cases, that does not mean they will win in court. I find it hard to believe any judge would approve of that case under the circumstances. Unfortunately he needs an attorney.

(post by Aural removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Even though I know this was eons ago, Back in the early 1900s, my ancestors age difference was literally she was 14 and he was 33 (ex slave). They had about 14 kids together.

Now to see this, I'm like on the fence. it's a double standard because the Rape victim is a boy, and not a girl, and the Perpetrator is a Woman, not a man. He admitted to exploring himself sexually - that puts him on the hook for admission of guilt for child support because he is admitting he is the father. On the other hand, the Woman should be responsible for the care of the child until the dude reaches 21. Baby is here now, and he should have the opportunity to be in his kid's life. 14 is an exploratory age and the both of them know about Birth Control. It's out there, its not secret information. So they were both irresponsible. She pays until he's 21, and then he pays. If she was his same age, I would feel they both should have equal responsibility again for being careless.

Sounds to me the woman wanted this baby. Now she got it. He wanted the fantasy of having an older woman teach him and he got it. That resulted in the baby on both their parts.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
L O L

The kid learned a belated lesson;

No such thing as free _ _ _ _ _

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Any minute now. The ultra core feminist will come to the defence of this minor. Oh wait.. forgot its a boy and they are too busy fighting against "stare rape"...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

stare rape?

New to me lol

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

There is a weird group of feminists that think just about everything is rape. If you check a girl out it's rape (stare rape is a good way of putting it), ask her on a date it's rape, open the door for her and you're oppressive. Boggles the mind. I keep wanting to do a thread on it. The SJW (social justice warrior) crowd on tumblr. Freaking nutter butters.

I have a great deal of respect for women and women's rights but these people take it too far and in weird directions. They go so overboard it's impossible to take them seriously. They are a detriment to their own cause. Some will say if you're not a woman you have no right to talk about women's issues. Way to alienate half the population.

I get ranty about this. It bugs me. Same with their polar opposites that seem to think women are disposable, stupid and undeserving of respect.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

its one of the term commonly used to point out the nonsense modern feminist spouts and their narrowed perspective.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

There has to be a cutoff at some point. You can't possibly think that an 8 year old having sex with a 30 something is OK. I agree that the numbers seem a bit arbitrary and inflexible and that certain situations are going to differ greatly, but I'd rather the law be too harsh in this kind of situation than too lenient. Difficult to draw the line in the right place with this sort of thing. Can't really run around testing people before they have sex to see if they're mature enough and aren't being coerced.

Also the avatar amuses me in this thread.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Many of my women co workers( includ a manager)at my workplace even said these modern feminist should not even call themselves feminist. She said, not exact quote but "If a women steps on men's rights in order to accomplish her right, then she is not a feminist. that is not equality"

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Clearly i'm missing something. It says he became a father at 14? Is now 24, was served with child support papers 2 years ago when his daughter was 6?

24 - 2 = 22
22 - 6 = 16

Did i forget how to math?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kicked

Nick Olivas became a father at 14, a fact he wouldn't learn for eight years.

I think she's 8 now.
edit on 0220140920141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join