I love gnocchi and this is probably my favorite dish to make with it! My son who is only 15 mths loves it too. I swear he eats anything and
everything. So far the only thing he turned his head to is a peach.
You can make your own gnocchi or buy it at the store. It's usually in the pasta aisle.
Baked Gnocchi With Chicken, Mushrooms, Spinach and Parmesan Cheese
1 lb chicken
1-2 tbs EVOO
1 1/2 tbs Herbs de Provence
1/4 cup white wine
1 8 oz package of sliced portabella mushrooms
1/2 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs unsalted butter
2 tbs flour
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup half and half
****you can use 1 1/2 cups of whole milk if you don't have the other items.
1 cup chicken broth
1 package of Gnocchi (17 ounces)
1 3/4 cups loose baby spinach
1/3 cup grated parmesan (I used a garlic parmesan blend, it was good)
1. Cut up chicken into tiny 1 inch pieces. Cook in evoo with wine and the Herb de Provence. Once cooked drain liquid and put chicken aside.
2. Sautee mushrooms in a little salt and pepper with the garlic just until slightly brown and soft then set aside as well.
3. Melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 3 mins while whisking those 3 mins. I just set my timer.
4. Add milk, heavy whipping cream and half and half and chicken broth. Simmer whisking constantly until slightly thickened.
***I added some corn starch to help it thicken a little. I have made it without and liked the corn starch addition. Just about 1 tbs should
5. Now mix chicken, mushrooms, gnocchi, spinach, parmesan cheese and white sauce in a large bowl. Mix til spinach is wilted and everything has mixed
together. Transfer to a baking dish.
6. Bake 20 mins. Turn on broiler and bake additional 3 mins.
When it's done let it sit for a few mins so sauce thickens a little more. It is really good the next day too!
I adapted this recipe from the Baked Gnocchi With
I made it as written the first time and it didn't have much flavor so I changed the chicken and the white sauce mixture. I have also made it without
mushrooms and it's just as good. I want to make it again but maybe put a Chicken Piccata twist on it with a lemon sauce and some capers with
artichoke. I will try that next and let you all now how that goes.
I think this is my favorite dish right now. I have made it almost every week in the last month. It is simple and tasty and my son likes it. I had
surgery Friday so I had to think of quick and easy for dinner so all it needs is a reheat. It also doesn't bother my stomach so that is good!
This will be a recipe i mess around with and try other combinations to go with it. I love gnocchi and many people dont' even try it because they
don't know what to do with it. I found that gnocchi by itself is too much. It is a potato pasta. It is really easy to make by yourself but it does
take a little time and effort. I find gnocchi goes best as a second ingredient in bakes and casseroles.