It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incarcerated For Writing Science Fiction

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Oh then I'm screwed, I play Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ lol

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Illegal detention. 1st Amendment violation, plain and simple. I'm never surprised though by the stupidity of others. Just when I think we've hit bottom, nope! we've found another level, lets dig a little deeper.

Technically its legal now. See Ferguson for more details.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

23 and he has a bunch of teaching awards? I think if my child was in the school and I read the teachers book I would worry. How to deal with such things is becoming more difficult, what if you do nothing and the boy is a nut good teacher or not?

Are you being sarcastic or is getting awards a bad thing now? How to deal with such things as freedom of speech? Yeah, super difficult, because there are people in positions of power that should be slapped silly.

Nearly every piece of fiction 13+ (you'd be amazed at what fits into that category as well) has things happen in it, that are not appropriate or are not suitable in a school setting, or would result in some kind of criminal charge had the authors done the same as their characters in the books.

But hey, they are BLOODY BOOKS, or did someone forget that?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The key part that makes his stories fiction is the bit about humans still existing in 2900 haha

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Writing a book and placing it on Amazon for purchase/profit is far from a "warning sign." Perhaps there was something else in the book that touched a nerve with TPTB, but that's just a hopeful hypothesis to explain the utter retardation of school officials, parents, and law enforcement.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: WCmutant

Writing a book and placing it on Amazon for purchase/profit is far from a "warning sign." Perhaps there was something else in the book that touched a nerve with TPTB, but that's just a hopeful hypothesis to explain the utter retardation of school officials, parents, and law enforcement.

I believe you may be right. A similiar book was being read, and not even in a futuristic setting, and the father who spoke out about the book (for its depiction of graphic sex, not the school shooting itself) was arrested.

"GILFORD, NH — A proactive parent was taken to jail after he voiced his concerns at a school board meeting regarding a reading assignment that contained graphic descriptions of sex. When the upset father spoke too long, violating the strict “two-minute rule,” he was placed in handcuffs and marched out of the meeting.

Several parents had voiced their concerns at the May 5th meeting because they felt that they should have been notified before were assigned assigned a novel containing mature content.

“The novels apparently depict the aftermath of a school shooting with gratuitous sex."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is something far major going on than we have pieced together yet.
edit on 3-9-2014 by ArchPlayer because: Bad English

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

23 and he has a bunch of teaching awards? I think if my child was in the school and I read the teachers book I would worry. How to deal with such things is becoming more difficult, what if you do nothing and the boy is a nut good teacher or not?

Are you being sarcastic or is getting awards a bad thing now? How to deal with such things as freedom of speech? Yeah, super difficult, because there are people in positions of power that should be slapped silly.

Nearly every piece of fiction 13+ (you'd be amazed at what fits into that category as well) has things happen in it, that are not appropriate or are not suitable in a school setting, or would result in some kind of criminal charge had the authors done the same as their characters in the books.

Guess you didn't read the article or any others either like so many here, he was nominated for Teacher of the Year, he did not win, there was no "awards" he was noted in a newspaper for helping a kid publish..does that count as numerous awards. Why is it you always fail to read my posts accurately before launching attacks??

PS READ my posts, I said what I would FEEL as a parent not what should be done nor what is right!

edit on 3-9-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: WCmutant

They have updated the news they now say it was a four page letter he wrote not the book that caused the whole thing.
Until we know what he wrote to the city officials we have no right to decide anything about what has been done ino.
www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Definatly overreaching but after all we live in a society of fear..thats how they want it, I can understand quietly looking into it but it would seem there was nothing to look at other than a poor subject choice as an author/schoolteacher.
We are supposed to be free in thought and words but I think those days are gone and there can be manufactured repurcussions.
Messed up.
edit on 3-9-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Definatly overreaching but after all we live in a society of fear..thats how they want it, I can understand quietly looking into it but it would seem there was nothing to look at other than a poor subject choice as an author/schoolteacher.
We are supposed to be free in thought and words but I think those days are gone and there can be manufactured repurcussions.
Messed up.

The story seems to be basically a fraud, the man is supposedly now getting help as he has some problem, until we know the details it is silly to say this is about his books and these people have it right.So everyone gets all worked up but they don't spread the rest of the story as it comes out.
www.popehat.com...

"It didn’t start with the books and it didn’t end with the books," State’s Attorney for Wicomico County Matt Maciarello told The Times. "It’s not even a factor in what law enforcement is doing now."

Concerns about McLaw were raised after he sent a four-page letter to officials in Dorchester County. Those concerns brought together authorities from multiple jurisdictions, including health authorities.

McLaw’s letter was of primary concern to healthcare officials, Maciarello says. It, combined with complaints of alleged harassment and an alleged possible crime from various jurisdictions led to his suspension. Maciarello cautions that these allegations are still being investigated; authorities, he says, "proceeded with great restraint."

What’s more, he told The Times, "everyone knew about the book in 2012."

www.jerrypournelle.com...

Maciarello described McLaw’s letter as a “farewell address/resignation” and said the Wicomico County health officer was “chiefly concerned” about the letter.

www.stardem.com...

McLaw's letter was of primary concern to healthcare officials, Maciarello says. It, combined with complaints of alleged harassment and an alleged possible crime from various jurisdictions led to his suspension.

www.popehat.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Guess you didn't read the article or any others either like so many here, he was nominated for Teacher of the Year, he did not win, there was no "awards" he was noted in a newspaper for helping a kid publish..does that count as numerous awards. Why is it you always fail to read my posts accurately before launching attacks??

PS READ my posts, I said what I would FEEL as a parent not what should be done nor what is right!

Did I mention any "awards" in my post? No. I didn't. I simply pointed out that annoying thing called -freedom of speech- which protects fiction, and also the fact that any fiction is rarely suitable if acted out in real life.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Did I mention any "awards" in my post? No. I didn't. I simply pointed out that annoying thing called -freedom of speech- which protects fiction, and also the fact that any fiction is rarely suitable if acted out in real life.

Hum then who said this?

Are you being sarcastic or is getting awards a bad thing now?

And someone starred your post for what? You and everyone else is ignoring the facts that they said the books have nothing to do with the whole thing except later when they believed there may be relevant information in his stories.No one seems interested in the facts that the story seems to be all misconstrued just to incite anger! people are so eager to have a reason to be angry I guess.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AphoticJoe

We Americans have officially become a herd of cattle. Ever see the way fear courses through an entire herd all at once? Well nowadays, all one need do to witness herd shock reaction is open the newspaper. When did we become so paranoid and weak as a collective people? Wolves that do not exist howl in the night and Americans go racing for succor from police, the media and the federal government.

Good analogy but the herd is becoming a flock of chickens in the fashion of henny penny always screaming the sky falling at the mere suggestion from our boy that cried wolf politicians . And we still believe them ? Why ? The flock is too busy running around screaming screaming the sky falling to actually THINK.

Back to topic.

At face value there has been a huge over step on this issue .

From what I see here his guilt is over a thought crime. How many other authors are just as guilty.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lostinthedarkness

From what I see here his guilt is over a thought crime. How many other authors are just as guilty.

YES from what WE SEE! We have not idea yet what he wrote in the 4 page letter!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I like this part...

Indeed. I like this part:

Apparently this isn't the first time state's attorney Matt Maciarello (who initiated the involuntary psych evaluation for this teacher) has concerned himself with the potential dangers to be found in artistic expression.

Via an anonymous commenter here, some interesting new information.

Earlier this year Maciarello went after a rap group (three young black men) for their rap video in which guns are shown. He tried his best, but couldn't establish enough evidence of probable cause to charge them with gun offences.

Maciarello is a Tea Party Republican who is up for re-election for another four-year term. He's talked about federal gun laws being unconstitutional, and about "nullification," and how the Firearm Safety Act needs a carefully constructed legal counterattack.

Update

I don't see how an involuntary stay at the looney bin is a way to deal with teachers that have mental problems, (if indeed the teacher even has mental problems.)

He's suspected as much by an overzealous politician up for rebid on their job, so we are to crucify him in the media and thats okay because he wrote some fiction after writing a disgruntled letter about other teachers and his mother.

Thats how we handle things today? I didn't realize it's 1855.
edit on 3-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Hum then who said this?

And someone starred your post for what? You and everyone else is ignoring the facts that they said the books have nothing to do with the whole thing except later when they believed there may be relevant information in his stories.No one seems interested in the facts that the story seems to be all misconstrued just to incite anger! people are so eager to have a reason to be angry I guess.

Right, I see. Okay so he should be crucified because he was nominated for an award and didn't receive it. My mistake.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Update (2) Sept 3:

Despite his expressed concerns for the privacy of Mr. McLaw, state's attorney Matt Maciarello is now airing further details, such as "a possible inappropriate relationship between McLaw and a minor, who was not McLaw’s student" (and may or may not have been of the age of consent during the relationship), and that the four-page letter from McLaw to school administrators was an emotional resignation letter. His investigation is continuing.

Ah ok, so now he's a pedophile.

Talk about grasping at straws.

If he had an indecent relationship, then fine, yes indeed, investigate that. But all this should have been investigated and weighed before hitting the media.

My ire for the people involved has not changed a bit. The letter was a resignation letter. Then a book justifies locking up this teacher in the looney bin, and now they realize he's not going to hurt anyone he must be a pedophile.

The whole thing is so unprofessional its dizzying.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Hum then who said this?

Right, I see. Okay so he should be crucified because he was nominated for an award and didn't receive it. My mistake.

What?

This is your post above to me...all I said was the op was wrong he did not receive numerous awards...why is this so hard to understand?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 22:06 link quote reply a reply to: Char-Lee

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This person hits the nail on the head:

On the other hand, if this is all above board then the details of the investigation were released/leaked in the worst possible order for the school and the officials involved. And I'd note that Mr. McLaw has no recorded history of violence, certainly nothing that's been reported, and he's an upstanding and well-liked teacher. That he's been "disappeared" is troubling, though it's likely his family knows where he is and, if he actually needs the help, it's far better that he have his privacy than not.

www.davidearle.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Four pages and we have no idea what they say why don't we just wait before passing judgement on whether they should not have given him psychiatric care and removed him from the classroom etc?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join