It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas pastor demands public library ‘purge’ vampire books: I think it’s dangerous for kids

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
What's the betting that this pastor hasn't actually read any of the books and has no real idea what they're really about?

Which is even funnier because the Twilight books were written by a Mormon and have HEAVY Christian undertones to them about abstinence and purity.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Then I suppose the Narnia books should be banned too?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
What's the betting that this pastor hasn't actually read any of the books and has no real idea what they're really about?

The pastor is very uninformed. Stephanie Meyer wrote those books for young adults with Morman values in mind. He's showing his ignorance with books, he shouldn't be teaching any other books either.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: midicon

So you think that because the world is screwed up, kids shouldn't be allowed to have an imagination and believe things while they are growing up that turn out not to be true? Protip: the world has ALWAYS been screwed up. People are assholes, and it has nothing to do with content they were exposed to as a child. Assholes will be assholes that is no different 2000 years ago then it is today.

It was just a passing thought, no big deal. I think kids will always have imagination fairy stories might not be required. For a lot of people those beliefs are carried on into adulthood. Perhaps religion is the most obvious example.
I don't know if the world has always been whatever and people are how you find them. I think what we are exposed to as children can affect us.

Anyway I don't need a lecture or tips on anything.

Its all good.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
May I ask the members of ATS a question?

What books would you LIKE to see banned?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You got to admit that the twilight books and movies are pure evil. I watch five minutes of one of those movies and had nightmares for a week..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Fair enough. It just grinds my gears when people start trying to blame how a person turned out on what their hobbies are/were as children.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith
So he's going after fantasy books about mythical creatures...

Does this mean all of the Bibles and other religious texts will be removed too?
Laugh my arse off. .. this is starting to smell like Nazi Germany... cause the Christians noded politely and let that one go too!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
why does anyone care what some podunk pastor says in Texas?....why do the nuts get taken so seriously on ATS, and yet the people that have the control (the wealthy) seem to always get a pass?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: blackthorne

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Is it any wonder that church attendance is dropping? People who still want that version of god in their lives are realising they aren't as stupid as they used to be, or as stupid as these idiot preachers still wish they were.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Bible
Torah
Qu'ran

Those books have caused the most stupidity of all time.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

Bible
Torah
Qu'ran

Those books have caused the most stupidity of all time.

There was an effort a while back to have "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" banned by the leftists and progs.

You want to ban religious texts.

Some fundamental pastor wants Harry Potter and Twilight banned.

I think NO books should be banned.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

ALL fairy tale books where the girl finds her prince and they live happily ever after. LIES>>>>> lies I tells ya!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Those particular books are read in quotes and not understood. Unless they start coming with a study guide they can go.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

none!! although I would greatly appreciate it if the johovah witnesses would stop knocking on my door trying to give theirs to me!!

come on
one groups wants this certain category of books banned
another wants some other books banned
how long would it be ya reckon before something you or me wants to read becomes the target of some fringe group!
why don't we just take the shortcut and burn them all?

edit on 2-9-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I appreciate the freedom to state an opinion.

But when that opinion infringes on MY freedom, then these people (fundamentals, progressives, whomever) can go to an island somewhere and hit each other in the head with very large rocks.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Yes, there are many thought police out there come to think of it.

But the people defending their right to police our thoughts and freedoms, while at the same time vilify the preacher who is stifling freedom of speech,

I guess it just depends on whose voice you want stifled.

Stunning

Thanks for reminding us.

And I don't believe in book banning or book burning, I can't think of any I would want banned.
edit on 123030p://bTuesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 123030p://bTuesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Funny, I thought a Giant Red Dragon that would devour armies of Men and swallow their souls, and kidnapping virgin maiden was more dangerous to the religions.

The whole blood and gore, also I think it muttered something about "God Sucks". Yep, it breath is most foul due the rotten corpses and foul language.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
Funny, I thought a Giant Red Dragon that would devour armies of Men and swallow their souls, and kidnapping virgin maiden was more dangerous to the religions.

The whole blood and gore, also I think it muttered something about "God Sucks". Yep, it breath is most foul due the rotten corpses and foul language.

I have NO damned idea what youre saying but keep saying it. Fancy colorful ear tickling language on ATS makes me feel warm and fuzzy.. even if its blasphemous!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join