It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin reminds West of nuclear power, while asserting Russia's position on Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Putin has reminded the West that Russia is one of the greatest nuclear states, while allegedly supporting pro-Russian rebels push back against Ukrainian forces in the east of the country. Putin has allegedly referred to Eastern Ukraine as 'new Russia'. and had told outgoing European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso that “If I want, I take Kiev in two weeks.”

NATO has taken the threats seriously, and have begun constructing a rapid response force as a result.

A WEEK ago the prospect of nuclear war was a dim memory. Now, Russian President Vladmir Putin has put the nightmare firmly back on the agenda in a thinly veiled threat to the west to “back off” over Ukraine. It’s the first time in more than 25 years that Moscow has raised the spectre of nuclear war. The difference this time is that its tanks are already pouring over its western borders.

NATO is taking the war of words seriously: This week it will discuss the creation of a “rapid response” military force tasked with being ready to instantly respond to any invasion of any member state.

Referring to eastern Ukraine as “New Russia”, Putin’s pointed remarks sent a clear message to a hesitant NATO and United States: Back off.

“We must always be ready to repel any aggression against Russia and (opponents) should be aware … it is better not to come against Russia as regards a possible armed conflict.”

Mr Putin said he did not want to engage in any large-scale conflicts. “We do not want it and aren’t going to do it,” Putin reportedly said.

goo.gl...
edit on 1-9-2014 by daaskapital because: link

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Mr. Putin better like glass, because regardless of what he does, we (and our allies) would turn his entire country into it.

He keeps referring to "the West"... but forgets that it includes allies all around him.

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Looks as if Putin's calling NATO's bluff again. Unfortunately this chain of events can only go in a couple directions now, none of which are good for the citizens in any country.

I still just can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to use a nuclear weapon, I hope I'm right for all our sake. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to post a thread about it on here. . . Yeh right!
edit on 9/1/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Gangster. Just what the world needs right now is this sort of sh*t talk. Not coming from some crazy dumbazz in Korea mind you. This isn't calling a bluff this is bullsh*t.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Seems that the west is determined to have their war and are lying and lying ....

The Convoy of Russian Tanks. Where is It?

In support of NATO’s planned deployments to Eastern Europe, the Western media is claiming without evidence that a large convoy of Russian tanks has crossed the border into Ukraine and are operating under Russian command inside Ukraine.

The satellite images released by NATO show tanks and vehicles inside Ukraine, within an area controlled by Donbass forces. Where did they come from?

Ironically, these images are not from advanced US-NATO military satellite sources, they are from a digital commercial company operating on the internet. www.DigitalGlobe.com “a leading global provider of high-resolution earth imagery”.

While the Atlantic Alliance has access to advanced military and intelligence imagery, it takes the trouble of identyfing its source: [Image #1 provided by Digital Globe]
www.informationclearinghouse.info...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Putin has reminded the West that Russia is one of the greatest nuclear states, while allegedly supporting pro-Russian rebels push back against Ukrainian forces in the east of the country. Putin has allegedly referred to Eastern Ukraine as 'new Russia'. and had told outgoing European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso that “If I want, I take Kiev in two weeks.”

NATO has taken the threats seriously, and have begun constructing a rapid response force as a result.

New Russia is what the rebels, or separatists, refer to East Ukraine as, so in all likelihood, he is showing respect/support for that.

He reportedly said that to Barroso but we have no idea in what context it was said. It could have been..Barroso: "Putin, everyone thinks you are at war with Ukraine." Putin: If I was at war, I would be at war, no messing around. If I want, I take Kiev in two weeks."

The nuclear comment is not so much a threat as a warning/reminder to other nations at what is at stake of nuclear powers go to war. It is the type of rhetoric that has been tossed back and forth since the 50's. No nation has threatened or bullied anyone else with nuclear weapons as much as the U.S. by the way.

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
Mr. Putin better like glass, because regardless of what he does, we (and our allies) would turn his entire country into it.

He keeps referring to "the West"... but forgets that it includes allies all around him.

~Namaste

When he says "The West" he means it in the Royal sense, that is, he does mean all allies. That is what "The West" has always meant as "The East" has always meant Soviet Union/Russia and their sphere of influence.

I am really tired of everyone always thinking and saying "the U.S. should kick their butt...we would clobber them, leave them in rubble"

You do realize a war with Russia would mean severe casualties right? You do realize "turning Russia to glass" would mean the same for the U.S. right? You do realize we have not fought a military greater than a 3rd world nation since the 70's right? You do realize we suck at asymmetric/guerilla warfare right?
edit on 9/1/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: formatting

edit on 9/1/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling

edit on 9/1/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What's their nuclear stance again? Oh that's right they have always been afraid to use nukes. We nuked Japan We've used them twice.

edit on 1-9-2014 by mattsawaufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mattsawaufo

The United States has dropped three bombs? When was the third one dropped in China?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

When we fought against the Iraqi army, and tore them apart, their Russian equipment, it was pretty much a test bed for what will happen to the Russian army. I will grant you that they didn't have all the Russian toys.

Do need to watch out for those state of the art Russian Scuds, they could be troublesome. But their main armored units would be cut up very badly.

edit on 1-9-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Hold on, did I not get the memo?
When did we nuke China?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Comparing a war against the 80's/90's Iraqi military to Russia of the same time, let alone today is like comparing novice hour moonshine to wine.

First, no nation exports a weapon as is, it is always a downgraded version with not nearly the ability as the non-expert version.
Second, the Iraqi military was not nearly as trained in general, or proficient with equipment, as the Russians were and are.
Third, that equipment experienced ageing and lack of proper maintenance as the personnel lacked discipline and training.
Fourth, it's 25 years later and Russia has brought their military back from near total decay, made significant upgrades, and developed new weapons and equipment.
Fifth, as I've said in another thread, two world wars, especially WWII should tell anyone not to test Russia's or a Russians resolve when it comes to defending their homeland.
Sixth, MAD.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

New Russia is what the rebels, or separatists, refer to East Ukraine as, so in all likelihood, he is showing respect/support for that.

Seems likely.

He reportedly said that to Barroso but we have no idea in what context it was said. It could have been..Barroso: "Putin, everyone thinks you are at war with Ukraine." Putin: If I was at war, I would be at war, no messing around. If I want, I take Kiev in two weeks."

Yes, reportedly. I intended to write that, but didn't catch the grammatical error before posting. As is evident in your quote, i also have a full stop just before the sentence, instead of a comma...i want to fix the entire sentence, but i will leave it for the sake of transparency.

The nuclear comment is not so much a threat as a warning/reminder to other nations at what is at stake of nuclear powers go to war. It is the type of rhetoric that has been tossed back and forth since the 50's. No nation has threatened or bullied anyone else with nuclear weapons as much as the U.S. by the way.

I would call it a threat. Just not a pointed one.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mattsawaufo
What's their nuclear stance again? Oh that's right they have always been afraid to use nukes. We nuked Japan AND China. We've used them three times.

So when and where did the US "nuke" China?

I'd really like to hear about that one.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Iraqi proficiency with Russian weapon, tanks mainly, really wasn't a factor against our anti tank weapons and tanks. It wouldn't have mattered if they had been Russian troops with top tanks, some of which were used by the Iraqis on behalf of the Russians for a live fire test. Our anti tank air platforms can see and fire on Russian tanks so far out that the Russians, after their radar has been destroyed by same, cant even see them. Hard to overcome those sort of tactical advantages.

And the Russians really haven't upgraded enough to counter this factor.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

When did we nuke China?

In the 1950s I believe.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

When did we nuke China?

In the 1950s I believe.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Searching the web, and I can not find anything at all that shows the US has ever detonated a nuclear weapon on Chinese soil.....in any decade.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Lol... clearly you have no idea what you are talking about... Have you misspoken and trying to cover up your steps... If so fine, admit the mistake, or quit with vague 1950's and Nuclear drops on China crap.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

When did we nuke China?

In the 1950s I believe.

You're absolutely sure? China was testing nukes in the 60's.
But you never know right?
edit on 1-9-2014 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

He made you look

Maybe mattsawaufo thinks the 'bomb'was used in the korean war? maybe?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

When did we nuke China?

In the 1950s I believe.

We threatened them, repeatedly, but no attack. As I said, no nation has threatened the use of nuclear weapons like the U.S. has Sixteen Nuclear Crises of the Cold War - University of Colorado

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join