It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jim Jefferies Comedian on gun control

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

That's what you keep saying, but I and many others have addressed and debunked all of the points you've brought up. You're simply ignoring them, cherry picking and believing only what you want to believe.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x

Did I say that? (I didn't). What is not having a gun going to change about that specific scenario? Are saying that not having a gun will mean I'm immune to being caught off guard? Do you even logic, bro?

You know what I was saying..
Always trying to twist and turn something.

In case you are clueless..I am saying..telling the world that a gun makes you 100% safer is a lie. If your caught off guard...it doesn't matter if you have a gun or not. Your just as vulnerable as the next guy/girl. If you have a gun..it does not guarantee your safety, it does not make you safer than anyone else. I have read stories of unarmed people even children fending off bad guys, also have read stories of where a few times guns have done some good with bad guys.

The stories of people with guns doing more bad than good outweigh each by a huge margin..where bad with guns winning, yet they are considered safe...what other tool is kept around where it does more harm than good?

You can bring in cars..etc...but tell me..how many cars are out there..and how many people do they kill compared to ownership. Does the small benefits and good they do outweigh the costs of health-care and deaths worldwide...?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: HauntWok
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It's working pretty good right now.

Yeah, I used to be all pro gun too, then I talked with people like yourself. Turned me right off of guns.

See, the problem is that I talk to people like yourself, and I talk to them away from the T&Cs of ATS, and get what y'all can't share on this site.

So, please don't think that I don't know how y'all really feel on a host of subjects.

I get it, you like guns. Fine, just don't pretend there isn't a host of issues with gun violence in this nation.

And don't pretend that a lot of these mass shootings aren't committed by people that brought guns legally.

And don't pretend that the pro gun forum gang here on ATS doesn't exist.

And don't pretend that the goal of that gang isn't to derail these threads into a mess of off topic posts, personal insults, and just baiting in general.

We do get it, you like guns!

Your first mistake was trying to pigeon hole me into "folks like yourself"

You see because you know nothing about me.......

And if someone "like myself" who is relatively mild mannered and level headed, turrned you off of guns, then I would say you are either lying.......or not being objective.....

No our intent isnt to derail anything, infact weve stayed on topic........

Weve addressed everything the comedian said in his little skit........

The problem is , you and the OP claim yu are being objective yet theres been no retorte to the facts that weve brought up.....

Instead youve jumped right to were crazy gun nuts and are beating up on you forum gang style.......

And now youve resulted to trying to attack me personally, instead of addressing the actual posts....

Just like your last statement

And don't pretend that a lot of these mass shootings aren't committed by people that brought guns legally.

Actually the facts are that 90% or more of the mass shootings ARENT done by those who have bought guns legally, but you would know that if you were actually interested in facts, which you clearly are not

yeah, and were the ones who are out of line.......

Like I said in an earlier post, I thought it was funny, but its def not accurate
edit on 9/1/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Nice one.

Thanks for that. good to hear some antipodean humour. I think it probably flew over the heads of the gun-toting yanks on this thread

He made some good points as well, but you'll never get the pro gun idiots to change their minds. The whole country is built upon violence, bloodshed and a misplaced sense of entitlement.

edit on 1-9-2014 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Personally, I found his satire to be hilarious, even though I disagree with a certain percentage of what he says about the right to bear arms. First of all, whether we are talking about guns, or bloody great big broadswords or short hafted, paired war axes, there is more to it that Mr Jeffries went into in his gag, and there is a very good reason for that.

He is a comedian. He makes people laugh, professionally. George Carlin was a funny guy too, and he made some pretty hilarious points against all manner of things, religion, politics, war, being human... But trying to live ones life in the way that he advised during his sketches, would get you thrown in a hole for a very long time.

Similarly, Jim is a great laugh, and knows how to lever a giggle out of a person, but he has not grasped the fundamentals at play here. Ones government should be in holy terror of its population. Nothing should terrify a government more, than the ire of the great mass of its citizenry, and no population should ever find itself unable to manipulate its government by either reason, or force if necessary.

Unfortunately, the point he makes about drones is rather a good one. Even if you are under ground, even if you are wearing the best camouflage that money can buy, and carrying the fattest, most violent, death dealing mechanical sociopath ever to have a trigger fitted to itself, you have no defence against drones... Unless of course your right to bear arms extends as far as a computer controlled gyro mount, with a VERY sensitive mic, hooked up to a bit of software that latches on to annoying humming noises at great distance.

Actually, I know about four people who could knock something like that up, although none of us would want to risk the jail time for getting hold of a firearm to test it with...

But that is rather the point. At some time it call comes down to where the fear is. When the government have more raw destructive power than the people, and the people fear it's being exerted, you have tyranny, whether or not that power ever comes into play. As long as it is the other way around, then you have liberty. Which have you got now?

That said, I think my nations government is TERRIFIED of its people, which is why they surround themselves with police with H&K Mp5s with reflex sights, and Gurkhas, and MI5 operatives. But my nations government is full of limp wristed morons with all the vertebral fortitude of a baked pudding.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kx12x

No..you haven't debunked anything. Show me where you debunked the points made.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

If anyone watches the entire stand-up he makes note that is humor but also notes all of the dividing views towards his stand-up material with regard to gun rights. He hits it on the nose. One of them being the percentage who would respond such as "If you don't like it then go back to Australia".

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Fine..tell me where he was wrong when he said once guns were banned in Australia..there have been no mass shootings?

Is it just coincidence?..

How about where you are not vigilant 24hrs a day...so your gun is pretty much useless, when caught off guard. Tell me where was he wrong about that.

Tell me if your a responsible gun owner and your gun is locked away..what good it is if you do not have the time to get it because it is locked away. Where was he wrong about that?

If your gun isn't locked away for safety sakes....what good is it, if it there for just anyone to grab..children,friends..etc. What part about that was he wrong about? Also you would not be considered a responsible gun owner..so what part about that was he wrong?

How about if you attacked the government and the military intervened...you would be out gunned...where was he wrong about that? Do you really think you would stand a chance against tanks, drones, fighter jets, missiles, warships and against a well organized group...where was he wrong about that?

You guys say you have debunked..etc...but have done nothing.
edit on 1-9-2014 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

UK did the same thing as Australia, yet continued to have massacres (with equal fatalities) with the lesser weapons. Australians can still own some guns I believe.

Also, it isn't the biggest mass murderer by a long shot, (as opposed to the biggest one that hasn't been topped).

Maybe rather than using that one event to take an entire countries weapons away they figure out why the f*** the guy was able to kill people at several locations without being stopped by the police.

Also, I've heard Jim Jeffries several times and he's usually pretty funny, but not here, and not just because I don't agree, but because these are the same joke any comedian attacking gun ownership and the second amendment use.
edit on 1-9-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't care if he is stateside with his act, let him stay and make money.. its no skin off my nose.

But anyone that goes to another country and mocks a significant portion of that country should expect some blowback.

Doesn't matter if he has valid points or not, an outsider coming in and calling you dumb is liable to get an unfavorable reaction more often than not.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Fine..tell me where he was wrong when he said once guns were banned in Australia..there have been no mass shootings? 

Shouldn't he have said that there have been no shootings in Australia since guns were banned?
Why didn't he say that?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

How about where you are not vigilant 24hrs a day...so your gun is pretty much useless, when caught off guard. Tell me where was he wrong about that.

Tell me if your a responsible gun owner and your gun is locked away..what good it is if you do not have the time to get it because it is locked away. Where was he wrong about that?

If your gun isn't locked away for safety sakes....what good is it, if it there for just anyone to grab..children,friends..etc. What part about that was he wrong about? Also you would not be considered a responsible gun owner..so what part about that was he wrong?

How about if you attacked the government and the military intervened...you would be out gunned...where was he wrong about that? Do you really think you would stand a chance against tanks, drones, fighter jets, missiles, warships and against a well organized group...where was he wrong about that?

Again show me where you debunked anything he said..show me where you proved him wrong..

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A comedian says something, it offends someone, imagine that.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Why..his point was about mass shootings.

If was just talking about shootings in general than yes...he should have brought that up.

Still waiting for where you showed he was wrong in anything he said.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

It actually probably is a coincidence rather than anything else. Australia has a much lower population, and can still own types of guns. UK has passed several types of bans on particular guns and they had 2 guys pull off successful (i guess my mass murderer standards) rampages with single shot bolt actions.

So, yeah likely a coincidence, and when someone wants to kill a bunch of people in Australia they will find a way to get a gun, or just go to Adelaide and murder in peace however they want.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

m.motherjones.com...

Mass shootings..

www.hsph.harvard.edu...

Suicides...

www.fbi.gov...

Homicides...

And guns aren't a problem?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flint2011
)
If anyone watches the entire stand-up he makes note that is humor but also notes all of the dividing views towards his stand-up material with regard to gun rights. He hits it on the nose. One of them being the percentage who would respond such as "If you don't like it then go back to Australia".

Ah, so he has heard pro gun points before... and since he is able to remember them.... that somehow makes them invalid?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I made it in my first post in the thread. He said it about five minutes in.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

Every bit of what you just asked was addressed in posts in the thread, im not going to regurgitate other peoples posts for you, try going back and reading through your own thread........

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

In case you are clueless..I am saying..telling the world that a gun makes you 100% safer is a lie.

I've heard not one person say that guns make you 100% safer. There are no guarantees in life.

If your caught off guard...it doesn't matter if you have a gun or not.

That's what I said in my last post.

Your just as vulnerable as the next guy/girl. If you have a gun..it does not guarantee your safety, it does not make you safer than anyone else.

That's very subjective. Will a gun help you survive a car crash? Not likely. Will it help you survive a home intrusion? Like you said, there is no guarantee, but it will give you much better chances.

I have read stories of unarmed people even children fending off bad guys, also have read stories of where a few times guns have done some good with bad guys.

I never said it was impossible to survive with out one, of course you can. But firearms, as they say, are the great equalizer. For example, a woman who is armed has a much better chance of surviving an attack from a man or men that may be much stronger than her.

And what you were talking about earlier, being caught off guard.. Being aware of your surroundings and using common sense. It's nothing extreme, just simple things that make the chances of such a thing happening less likely. Like I said, though, there are never any guarantees life.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join