It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science of the brain shows there's a sixth sense

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

If you're studying to be a Neurosurgeon you should have the answers to these basic questions.

Not yet, it takes about 15 years to be a Neurosurgeon. Im not close to finishing it.

What I'm saying is this isn't even possible for the material brain.

What are your credentials?

There's no way around this and you can ask all the Neurosurgeons and Neurologist that you want to and they couldn't tell you how the material brain can accomplish.

What is the answer that you got from them?

When you recall a specific memory, you have thought causing the action potential to occur unless you have another sense that can accomplish this and create an action potential in the connections that processed a memory say 25 years ago.

That's how our memory works. We can read because we encoded the letters and words into our brain since we were children, it has been stored and you can retrieve it to know the meaning of letters and words.

I'm all ears though and I have been asking Psychologist and those in Neurobiology for years and I never get an answer.

I would rather ask someone who specializes in the brain, not in psychology.

I also don't think you are all ears. If you were then you wouldn't be making a lot of assumptions and stating opinions as fact. You are already saying that our brain can't do this and can't do that and that Neurologists can't answer it and that there has to be some mystical power, etc.

Just ask someone who is a Neurologist and im sure you will get your answer. Although you might not get it scientifically if you didn't study Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc.
edit on 1-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

There has to be a sense that's not bound by spacetime that can navigate through and operate these connections you have made throughout the years.

It's likely... has to be something already embodied in the genetic code. Like genetic memory, or transgenerational memory something that work is already being done on. But that in itself is curious because we know a baby has to learn certain criteria modelled by the parents, and teaching and so on, a lot to learn yet there is evidence of genetic memory carried over from a past generation which does not SEEM to include the learning curve that a baby onwards needs to learn, or appears to need to learn. The genetic memory research implies that a trigger needs to be pulled to evoke that memory, and that it is the brain that reacts with instructions to the senses.

www.bbc.co.uk...

You could go on talking forever about stuff that is known or very recently coming to light given the above but the brain is a very special piece of kit.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

This is a big non answer. You said:

I also don't think you are all ears. If you were then you wouldn't be making a lot of assumptions and stating opinions as fact. You are already saying that our brain can't do this and can't do that and that Neurologists can't answer it and that there has to be some mystical power, etc.

Just ask someone who is a Neurologist and im sure you will get your answer. Although you might not get it scientifically if you didn't study Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc.

First, where did I say that it has to be some mystical power? This is an old, tired tactic. You want to debate something that you made up because you can't debate what I actually said. Again, I never said anything about any mystical power.

Secondly, you want to say well you just won't understand unless you studied this or did that. Just is yet another idiotic argument. It's a way of saying I can't explain it so whatever nonsense I tell you, you must accept it.

Again, there isn't any answer based on the way the brain works.

If it's possible, stop pontificating and just show how it's at least possible based on what we know about how the brain works. You don't have to study for 20 years to answer this question.

It's simple, based on how the brain processes information from our senses explain how recall of specific memories is processed by the material brain. I'm not asking for an exact answer because there obviously isn't one, I'm just asking how is it possible.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

There are far, far more than merely 6 senses. Many of them are so sublime that you would never know that they were there. And, like someone with more acute vision, or a better sense of smell, some people are more adept with these sublime sense.

Think about it like this: if you had the radio on moderately loud in the room, and someone was trying to talk to you in a whisper, you wouldn't even notice them (even if you subconsciously hear parts of what they say). This is what your sublime senses are like, whispers almost completely drowned out by the noise created by the blaring 5 senses and their enormous floodgate of sensory input.

And you have alternate sensory organs as well. One we know of is the VNO. Yes, it is debated...but in other animals we know that it is active, and we know that it detects phermones. I suspect a similar function in humans. Whatever it detects, it is just a simple chemical detector.

Another sensory "organ" would be cryptochrome in the eyes. Its a protein that in other animals can detect magnetic fields. Again, the debate is on as to whether or not this works for humans.

But ingo Swann discussed this at great length, and said he had identified something like 37 senses (some of it is as simple as realizing that sensing hot and cold are two different senses, and thus 2 separate sensory inputs. The same as pressure and pain).

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

One answer is that the brain is not storing a photocopy, or eidetic image of that memory and then retrieving it later - it's not like a computer with folders and store images. It re-creates that image or those images.

The reason we know this is that when we recall a scene we often alter it based on biases or faulty imagery, or even suppressed information.

The physics of memory storage is thus not what is really needed. It's how does the brain recreate a memory when you 'ask' for a retrieval. There must be something of the original image saved, because we can 'recognize' a scene. When hypnotized some people seem to be able to recall things like a license plate.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
At the extremes, remember Stephen Wiltshire?

en.wikipedia.org...

An architect who can draw a whole cityscape in perfect detail after seeing it once.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

First, where did I say that it has to be some mystical power? This is an old, tired tactic. You want to debate something that you made up because you can't debate what I actually said. Again, I never said anything about any mystical power.

Let me quote you:

"There has to be a sense that's not bound by spacetime that can navigate through and operate these connections you have made throughout the years."

What does a "sense that's not bound by spacetime" mean?

Secondly, you want to say well you just won't understand unless you studied this or did that. Just is yet another idiotic argument. It's a way of saying I can't explain it so whatever nonsense I tell you, you must accept it.

What do you mean it's a way of saying I can't explain it? I already told you I can't explain it.

It's also a fact that if you didn't study Organic Chemistry then you wont understand the reactions of organic compounds. If you didn't study something as complex as the brain, then how do you expect to comprehend it scientifically?

Again, there isn't any answer based on the way the brain works.

There isn't or you haven't found it?

If it's possible, stop pontificating and just show how it's at least possible based on what we know about how the brain works. You don't have to study for 20 years to answer this question.

You have to, somehow, understand that I haven't gotten to it yet.

It's simple, based on how the brain processes information from our senses explain how recall of specific memories is processed by the material brain. I'm not asking for an exact answer because there obviously isn't one, I'm just asking how is it possible.

How hard would it be for you to ask a Neurologist/Neurosurgeon that same question to get your answer?

This is what you are doing:

I don't know how something in our brain works, but I know it can't be done by our "material brain" and Neurosurgeons don't know either, but I need someone in ATS to answer me the question, but I know it can't be answered, which is why there has to be something else doing it like a "sixth sense".
edit on 1-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I can smell things by touching them...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mon1k3r
Ask any woman if they can tell when someone is behind them staring at their body. Special operators are trained that when they are sneaking up behind someone to attack them to never look directly at them, because they will 'feel' your gaze. Life experience tells us that we have more than the corporeal senses, but science never studies these phenomena. You are not supposed to have a spirit.

Yes. A body of extrasensory receptors wrapped up in what is called traditionally as the "sixth sense".

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
To begin with, I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about. While it fascinates me, it’s not something I spend hours every day contemplating. And when I do, I find myself endlessly chasing my tail, frustrated by my inability to comprehend even the simplest of things. I’m sure I’ll go to my grave unfulfilled and clueless, having learned nothing since the day I first stepped into this depraved version of reality.

Be that as it may, today has been no exception. Thanks anyway, neoholographic, for the excellent thread. It did cause me to scribble down a few notes. And even though they make little sense upon re-reading them, I’ll shamelessly throw them out here anyway. I’ve been on this board long enough now that I’m beyond the embarrassment of a little ridicule and laughter when my formidable mental limitations are exposed. Basically, the notes were for my own benefit in order to get a handle on the sequence of events that lead up to conscious awareness. Of course, they can’t be taken seriously, as I’m no authority or student of the subject. I’m just trying to get a grip on the basics.

Does this sequence make any sense at all?
------------------------------
PreBrain/Nonmaterial Undefined Processing
Information Source (the Universe)
Information Filter/Data Selector (nebulous data filter/undefined Boolean process/?)
Transmission of Selected Information to Brain for Processing (wireless/radio signal/magic?)

Material Brain/Information-Sensory Processor/Conscious-Subconscious Awareness
Input:

Dendrite Excitation (input received from undefined PreBrain processes)
Transmit Information to Cell Body (dendrite electrical signal carrier)
Cell Body Function (process electrical signals/somehow magically interpret electrical impulses/ ?)
Axon Data Bus (route processed signals to appropriate data receptor/router/?)

Output:
Receptor Cell Processing (format processed signals for output/instigate appropriate sensory response/?)

Post Proccessing:
Thought Generation (try to make sense of sensory input, analyze and call it reality, whether it is nor not/?)
Establish Associations and Commit to Undefined Indexed-Type Memory
------------------------------

Although I have no answers, I do have a few questions. Where and how does the “PreBrain” process work? It’s likely a figment of my imagination. What exactly initiates/invokes material brain functions, which in turn result in very specific actions? Where does the whole process begin? We kinda know where it ends (it ends with each passing thought and/or action), but where did it all start? Come to think of it, it’s almost like the universe itself: we kinda know where it ends (it ends with every “now” moment we perceive), but how did it all begin?

As you can plainly see, I’m quite confused about it all. I do like reading everyone else’s replies, though. Cool thread, neoholographic...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Clairvoyance is a sense.

I have experienced it most convincingly.

Problem is I can't perform it on command.

It get's overlooked or explained as coincidence or intuition most of the time, but twice in my long life, circumstances have aligned to prove it most incontrovertibly...............to myself and to the people I was with.

Two of them took turns reading a question on a card to themselves and then concentrated on deciding whether I would know the answer to the question printed on the card.

They both felt I would have no trouble answering the question and wanted to choose a harder one but before they could do so, I answered the question correctly.

Only problem, they hadn't actually asked me the question aloud.

A very similar thing happened one other time and was also witnessed, but nothing comparable has ever happened since.

I don't care if anyone believes me, or not. It's enough to change my perspective on all empirical data.

I don't know whether it was an ability I have or whether the other persons 'sent' the messages to me.

And no, I wasn't wearing my tin foil hat at the time.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I believe animals can often sense when someone watching them. I remember walking up to my sliding glass door and watching my dog mucking around in the back yard. Suddenly he stood quite still with his back towards me then stiffened and turned around and looked me straight in the eye. It was weird.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There are many reports by a plethora of individuals claiming to have special senses. Granted that some of them are just trolling others or trying to get their moment in the spotlight. Many others may indeed have the ability but can never bring it out on command. It truly is very sad that there is no way to distinguish between them. I wish we could just give some sort of portable neural recorder to everyone who claims to have something special and force them to wear the device until they experience an event. Device could record the specific brain activity at that time and science would have something to go on. Ignoring the hundreds of science fiction and supernatural media, there is no scientific evidence excluding the possibility of extra sensory perception or abilities. With advent so much new technology for brain stimulation like video games, data processing, mathematical thinking and such (i have no idea what i am talking about) the brain gets enormous amount of activity. At the very least i am hoping people could develop mental powers to influence lesser species. Imagine, surfing to work on your own shark...with a laser on its head of course.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: netbound

You asked some good questions.

Although I have no answers, I do have a few questions. Where and how does the “PreBrain” process work? It’s likely a figment of my imagination. What exactly initiates/invokes material brain functions, which in turn result in very specific actions? Where does the whole process begin?

This goes to the heart of the matter and this is why there must be a sixth sense that operates and can recall at will the information processed by the other senses.

We know what happens when you go to Olive Garden or a Chipolte and taste your food. The taste, your sight and your touch activates neurons that are involved with things like sight, taste and touch. This is an input of information coming from your senses.

There has to be a sense that inputs information and activates neurons associated with this memory when you want to recall how the food tasted or how it looked. Maybe you want to recall the memory of a friend you bumped into at the restaurant.

This sense has to be able to create an action potential threshold with the neurons associated with this memory. This sense has to be aware of the information that was processed and it has to be able to activate these neurons associated with a memory that I may wish to recall from the 7th grade amongst the trillions of connections the brain has made throughout your lifetime.

So when I sit here and recall a memory in the 7th grade when me and my friends were cracking jokes in Science class, this sense has to know which neurons to activate out of all the connections my brain has made and information that has been processed throughout the years.

Like I said, when you look at how the brain works and how neurons take inputs signals from our senses and then output that information to other neurons via neurotransmitters, you have to ask what sense recalls specific memories or has ideas that input information and causes neuron activity.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
If you were born blind..... Would you have a concept of what the color Red was?

Could someone describe it to you?

Korg.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

where's your sense of humour?! lol

peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join