It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science of the brain shows there's a sixth sense

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think this is obvious and the next question should be is what is this Sixth Sense. This sixth sense is self aware, intelligent and can operate and activate the information processed by the other 5 senses. These 5 sense are:

Taste
Touch
Sight
Smell
Hearing

The science of the brain tells us what happens when one of these senses inputs or sends information to the neuron. So when you taste or see something neurons become active and information flows between neurons in what's called an action potential when a certain threshold is reached. Here's a couple of short videos that explains these things further.

These things are simply fascinating and it explains some of our subconscious behaviors.

We need a sixth sense that can activate the neurons that processed information simply through thought. For instance when you have an idea or recall a specific memory. We know when you taste a new beverage or walk into a store, your sense of sight, hearing and smell gathers information that's processed by neurons in the brain.

How are these neurons activated when you want to recall your trip to the store or you want to recall tasting that new beverage? How does the brain know the difference between these two memories and which memory you wish to recall?

There has to be a "sense" that activates the neurons that processed information when you recall a sight, sound, taste or touch. This sense can recall the specific information just through thought.

I think science clearly shows there has to be a sixth sense that navigates and operates the information processed by the 5 senses.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Very interesting perspective on a true sixth sense... it sounds a lot like the 6th sense is being referred to as consciousness, which I think is a bit different. Maybe this 6th sense is the operator on behalf of consciousness, but I still think they are two different things.

Thanks for a different spin on things.

S&F

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The story that we have only 5 senses is based upon a fallacy. You can detect if something is hot or cold, can't you? There are a lot more senses, but read this article :5 senses fallacy

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I espouse the idea that there are two more senses; recycling past lessons seems the result of not recognizing them.

reasoning

rea•son•ing (ˈri zə nɪŋ, ˈriz nɪŋ)

n.
1. the act or process of a person who reasons.
2. the process of forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences from facts or premises.
3. the reasons, arguments, proofs, etc., resulting from this process.

understanding
adj.
1. Characterized by or having comprehension, good sense, or discernment.

rec·og·nize (rkg-nz)
tr.v. rec·og·nized, rec·og·niz·ing, rec·og·niz·es
1. To know to be something that has been perceived before: recognize a face.
2. To know or identify from past experience or knowledge: recognize hostility.
3. To perceive or show acceptance of the validity or reality of: recognizes the concerns of the tenants.
4. To permit to address a meeting: The club's president recognized the new member.
5. To accept officially the national status of as a new government.
6. To show awareness of; approve of or appreciate: recognize services rendered.
7. To admit the acquaintance of, as by salutation: recognize an old friend with a cheerful greeting.
8. Law To enter into a recognizance.
9. Biology To exhibit recognition for (an antigen or a substrate, for example).

edit on (9/1/1414 by loveguy because: punctuation?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
I think this is obvious and the next question should be is what is this Sixth Sense.

Taste
Touch
Sight
Smell
Hearing

Fashion
Street
Common
Spidey
Direction
Non

to name a few.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Some people consider there to be seven senses. The feeling of hot and cold is the sixth, whilst the seventh is proprioception, the awareness of your body in the space around it. It is the sense that allows us to be aware that it is our hand picking up an object, and is behind the phantom limb phenomenon.

What you may be describing is brain plasticity, the idea that the pathways of each neuron and and connections between the synapses are always changing or evolving depending on whether they are required. For instance the creative areas of the brain are far larger (having more neuronal connections) in musicians or artists in comparison to layman.

Many of the areas of the brain required for sensory processing are closely linked to the amygdala (emotion), which is also connected to the hippocampus (short-term memory, learning by association). This also has pathways which leads to areas of the frontal lobe that have been linked to conscious awareness.

So when you encounter a smell (or other sense) we link smell to the location it was experienced, and the hippocampus, receiving information from the given sensory areas of the brain (visual cortex, olfactory bulb etc), forges connections (plasticity) that become stronger with rehearsal (hence better after more visits). The amygdala seems to facilitate this as emotional memories are generally stored much more successfully; everyone seems to know where they were on 9/11.

It's a difficult one to explain so I hope I've done it okay. I think rather than a sense though it's just many areas of the brain working together.

edit on 1-9-2014 by twfau because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ask any woman if they can tell when someone is behind them staring at their body. Special operators are trained that when they are sneaking up behind someone to attack them to never look directly at them, because they will 'feel' your gaze. Life experience tells us that we have more than the corporeal senses, but science never studies these phenomena. You are not supposed to have a spirit.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

If all senses are used in tandem, there is only one sense, the sense of the body.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have found there is much simpler proof of extra perception or "6th sense".

Like our thoughts translate to motion so does the perception of things unseen by our regular sensing.

This manifests as chills or tingling in the spine, goose flesh and hair standing on end.

Most identified as a fear response to danger, when these responses occur with nothing to be afraid of, it is the mind and glands reacting to something nearby that our "6th sense" detects but we are unaware.

An example of this is felt by those who have "ghostly" or spirit encounters. They understand this quite well. The body fears what it has no realm of experience for, we fear the unknown.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mon1k3r
Ask any woman if they can tell when someone is behind them staring at their body. Special operators are trained that when they are sneaking up behind someone to attack them to never look directly at them, because they will 'feel' your gaze. Life experience tells us that we have more than the corporeal senses, but science never studies these phenomena. You are not supposed to have a spirit.

Great response, I fully agree.

I think of about the hundreds of thousands of years mankind has spent hunting and foraging, perhaps they used this sixth sense regularly. Whereas as we began to grow crops and build communities, we lost that instinct to sense the "field" around us.

I don't know why, but I think of radio-waves.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne

Very interesting perspective on a true sixth sense... it sounds a lot like the 6th sense is being referred to as consciousness, which I think is a bit different. Maybe this 6th sense is the operator on behalf of consciousness, but I still think they are two different things.

Thanks for a different spin on things.

S&F

~Namaste

Thanks and it could be some sort of operator between consciousness and the material brain. The material brain can't accomplish these things and this is why consciousness isn't well understood. Materialist want to say that consciousness must emerge from the material brain even though there isn't any evidence to support this notion.

The science of the brain tells us there must be a sixth sense that can navigate through and operate the information processed by the other senses based on thought.

When you recall the experience of eating a meal with a friend at Olive Garden, your brain becomes active just by your thought. When you recall this memory, information has to be initiated on the neurons that processed this memory.

Your thought to recall this memory creates a threshold action potential that triggers the release of neurotransmitters that activate the neurons that processed the memory you're trying to recall. Usually when you touch, smell or hear something it creates a action potential. In this case your thought creates this and the action potential threshold is reached just by your thought.

This sense has to be self aware and intelligent. Just think about the connections in the brain. Your brain has 86 billion neurons and anywhere from 1 to 5 quadrillion synapses. Through all of these connections, this sense can recall a specific memory from 20 years ago. Just think about that. The connections that processed the memory 20 years ago can be activated with thought.

I can recall a birthday party that occurred over 20 years ago. How could the material brain accomplish this? Who or what sends a signal to the material brain that I wish to recall this memory? Based on all the connections you have made over the years and the information that has been processed, how does the material brain know which neurons would be needed to create a threshold action potential to recall a memory that happened over 20 years ago?

There has to be a sense that's not bound by spacetime that can navigate through and operate these connections you have made throughout the years.
edit on 1-9-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingCap
I don't know why, but I think of radio-waves.

Maybe this will help.

These are what we are expounding upon:

Taste
Touch
Sight
Smell
Hearing

The sixth sense may be just that.......sense. Everyone has electrical charges running through their bodies. There are those who have a heightened awareness, or sense, of these charges but they don't know exactly what it means.

People who call themselves professional ghost hunters use Electromagnetic field meters to help "find" what they're looking for. Why? Because some people believe that when the body dies, the electrical currents running through it do not. How those electrical currents could manifest into something that could be seen by us is still a matter of debate. You also have this:

A human voice usually ranges between 300 Hz and 1000 Hz. Spirit EVP voices have been measured to 1400 Hz. As humans we live in a dense 3D world so it is believed that the spirit world is much less dense. Spirit voices often sound like regular speech only at a faster pace because spirit's are in a lighter bodily form.

Source

What does this all mean? Maybe it means that there are some people who are more physically in tune with that which science doesn't really want to understand. This is why people are grappling for answers.....the people who could give us these answers won't touch the topic with a ten foot pole. Professional credibility and all as this does touch upon the paranormal.

There is more than enough information out there though for us regular folks to be able to put one and one together and answer the question for ourselves.

The sixth sense is a heightened sense of awareness of that which keeps us alive, and that which carries on after the body is dead.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

There has to be a "sense" that activates the neurons that processed information when you recall a sight, sound, taste or touch. This sense can recall the specific information just through thought.

You are just describing something we call memory and giving it the name "sixth sense".

Our senses are "sensors" that can be sensed by our brain. We have nerves that go from our brain to our body. They go to our eyes, nose, tongue, ears and to the rest of our body. Thus why we can see, smell, taste, hear and touch.

Can you explain what you think is our "sixth sense"?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mon1k3r

Ask any woman if they can tell when someone is behind them staring at their body.

I'm not a woman but I've been able to tell when someone was behind me from the slightest sound they made, or by getting a glimpse of them with the corner of my eye.

That doesn't mean there is this "sixth sense" or "third eye".

I also have scared many girl friends by going behind them and covering their eyes. Most likely because they didn't hear me, not because their "sixth sense" didn't sense me.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

Okay, if I'm just describing something called memory then explain to me step by step how this works.

I recall a specific memory from a family reunion that occurred 10 years ago.

1. How does the material brain know the material brain wishes to recall this specific memory?

2. If the material brain signals the material brain to recall this specific memory which part of the brain carries out this task and how does this part of the brain know which memories you wish to recall?

3. How does the material brain know the difference between these different memories? If I wish to recall a memory of a cookout 1 minute and the next minute I recall a memory from 1st grade. How does the material brain know the difference between these memories and which memory I wish to recall amongst all these connections?

Again, there has to be a sixth sense and there needs to be even more studies carried out looking into this sense. The brain isn't a magic 8 ball. If you think it can accomplish these things then gives us the science that shows how the brain creates an action potential threshold when recalling a specific memory and what sense activates this.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Okay, if I'm just describing something called memory then explain to me step by step how this works.

You are asking me questions that you should ask a Neurosurgeon or Neurologists. Although I'm studying to be a Neurosurgeon, I'm far from being there.

But our brain encodes, stores and retrieves information. Which is why we can learn. You are asking advanced questions though.

My suggestion is to ask a doctor that can explain it to you.

But memory has also intrigued me, I have the same curiosity as you. The difference is that im not making up other senses to explain it.

This video shows something more mysterious about our brains though:

edit on 1-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sense of time passing
Sense that someone is looking at you

Two more...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Duplicate

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

If you're studying to be a Neurosurgeon you should have the answers to these basic questions. The problem is there isn't any answer that supports the material brain doing these things.

It doesn't make any sense to even suggest the material brain can do these things and that's why there needs to be a look at other answers.

Scientist have looked at this question and some have tried to find answers even in the face of ridicule. You can't stick your head in the sand and say the material brain must be the answer because it's something you wish to believe.

What I'm saying is this isn't even possible for the material brain. The brain processes a lot of information but it needs an operator to navigate and operate the information that's being processed.

A DVD player needs a user to pick out a DVD to watch, push play and watch the DVD. You store pictures and videos on your computer and a user recalls this stored information.

There's no way around this and you can ask all the Neurosurgeons and Neurologist that you want to and they couldn't tell you how the material brain can accomplish. The answer that you will get is this must be the case.

The science behind the brain tells you this. There has to be a sense that creates an action potential threshold and we know how this can occur when it comes to hearing or tasting. When you recall a specific memory, you have thought causing the action potential to occur unless you have another sense that can accomplish this and create an action potential in the connections that processed a memory say 25 years ago.

I'm all ears though and I have been asking Psychologist and those in Neurobiology for years and I never get an answer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join