It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automatic Asylum for Guatemalan Women Who Claim Domestic Abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Under a decision by the DOJ’s board of immigration appeals, a Guatemalan woman need only claim to be the victim of domestic violence and she will be awarded asylum in the United States.

But the unbelievable news doesn’t stop there. For border-crashers there is another, even sweeter reward for their adventure to the land of free everything and lawless government. Their children are granted American citizenship as well as inclusion in federal health, education and retirement programs.

gopthedailydose.com...

This is getting ridiculous. We should just get a huge neon sign saying OPEN BORDERS, You can come here for any reason. Domestic abuse should not equal asylum. Sadly there is domestic abuse all over the world. People don't leave and go to another Country because of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Agreed. It's okay though because "We voted them in"...dot....

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Actually they do...there even quite a few Americans that seek asylum based off of domestic violence and you'd be amazed how many are granted it. Not saying I agree with it all because I am sure the policy is being abused itself but its actually one of the number one ways to seek asylum.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

It's confusing, but it seems that, under global human rights guidelines, women who are oppressed due to cultural belief systems that allow for their abuse, in order to assert male dominance, and where husbands are legally allowed to burn, beat, rape, mutilate or kill their women, those women are eligible for asylum.

This isn't the same as a woman whose abuse is deemed criminal, like here in the USA.

THE DECISION

BACKGROUND

edit on 1-9-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Then expect a lot of asylum seekers.

Many religions or cultures take a Mafia style approach to the subject ie "if it happens behind closed doors then it's nobodies business." And for a lot of women that means fleeing or dying, if I had a choice of being doused in acid or fleeing the country, I'd be on the first boat to the free world.

But still there needs to be a line in the sand- If enough people keep kicking up a stink then anybody who's been cyber-bullied will be applicable for asylum, and people will take advantage of that fact. Asylum is a necessity for some, not a privilege for all.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Is this something new or has it always been the case for assylum seekers in the usa.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

I think it's been on the books, at least for a little while now. The new thing is allowing Guatemalan women into the pre-established category. The report/decision explains the ruling, an appeal of a previous court's decision, why this particular woman qualifies.

Apparently, according to what I gleamed from reading the report, the local police were not authorized to interfere with what goes on in domestic matters, therefore, it was effectively legal to beat, rape and mutilate this woman, who could not leave her marriage, by law.

edit on 1-9-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I can see in some cases where it would be ok. It's just that there has been so much fraud from illegals taking advantage of the system. Anyone can say they are abused or in fear of their life. How do they actually decide who is legit and who is not?

Windword, it is a shame that their own police can't do anything about it. What the hell do they have police for, if not to look after their people? Man!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Windword, it is a shame that their own police can't do anything about it. What the hell do they have police for, if not to look after their people? Man!

Right!? Instead of the USA being the only place to run to, we need to, using the UN, I guess, force other countries to comply with basic universal human rights, and set up safe havens, not just in the USA, but in all civilized countries, where these people can go for relief.

Does Mexico hear asylum cases? If not, why not?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hasn't this been around for awhile now? I thought Bush signed an executive order when he was in office that women and children in domestic abuse situations and human trafficking could seek asylum in the U.S.? I don't understand why people keep talking about this like it's some new thing.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
OK, This is all well and good. But what about Asian Women (indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Malaysian, Koreans etc.) and Africans and South American and Europeans and Women from Oceania? Why only one Small Group. This is something that should be equally administered, not just for one small group of "Special People". We're all equal in God's Eyes and All Deserve not to be abused.

Peace Guys
Arjunanda. a reply to: Night Star

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
Hasn't this been around for awhile now? I thought Bush signed an executive order when he was in office that women and children in domestic abuse situations and human trafficking could seek asylum in the U.S.? I don't understand why people keep talking about this like it's some new thing.

Because it's right wing sensationalism. Like always.

Doesn't the right always say "do it legal"? This woman has been fighting in the courts (doing it legal) for 12 years.

And yes, the right for abused women and children to seek asylum started with Bush.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is ridiculous!!! So now they will all claim this and get to come love their dream!

As someone who was a victim of domestic violence as a citizen this pisses me off. I was laughed at and let's just say treated like I was the one in the wrong!

Sorry if you want to come here do so legally!! I have no problem with immigration it's the illegal immigration I have issues with. I could go on about this forever because where I live it's a problem. I have had illegals harass me and steal from my porch. I did get the last laugh when the house they lived in was raided and they were hauled off in cuffs!

This country needs to first and foremost help their own citizens FIRST! I guess it's better on the outside looking in when you help the poor Guatamalan woman than your own people.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
This is ridiculous!!! So now they will all claim this and get to come love their dream!

As someone who was a victim of domestic violence as a citizen this pisses me off. I was laughed at and let's just say treated like I was the one in the wrong!

Sorry if you want to come here do so legally!! I have no problem with immigration it's the illegal immigration I have issues with. I could go on about this forever because where I live it's a problem. I have had illegals harass me and steal from my porch. I did get the last laugh when the house they lived in was raided and they were hauled off in cuffs!

This country needs to first and foremost help their own citizens FIRST! I guess it's better on the outside looking in when you help the poor Guatamalan woman than your own people.

Maybe the people here have all the resources for a better life, unlike foreign women. I mean hell, if you're in the U.S. and you say a guy even looked at you funny you're winning a case. Also, didn't your parents ever teach you that you can't judge a group by a few bad eggs? Maybe if we made it easier to get citizenship here, they'd get citizenship.

Also, we can't really say that they aren't paying their way here even if they do have some form of welfare, simply because they have to pay taxes. You can't just wiggle out of taxes put on different products we need in everyday life, or the taxes taken out of paychecks. According to Itep.org, undocumented immigrants (illegals) current contribute significantly to state and local taxes. Collectively they paid an estimated amount of 10.6 billion in 2010. So families are likely spending 6.4% of their income on taxes. www.itep.org...

According to another website, 38.8% of those on welfare are white, 39.8% are black, and 15.7% are Hispanic. So that leads us to believe that more legal citizens are on welfare, because we can all agree that the majority of illegals are from Hispanic background. www.statisticbrain.com...

I won't disagree that they should be paying the same amount of taxes are we do, but it's ridiculous to say that they don't pay any at all.

I would also say that given that they are paying taxes maybe not all, but the majority) those taxes are going to help in places that need the help. Such as with rebuilding roads, funding schools, and the like. Without the taxes they are paying, it's pretty simple to see, we'd be worst off than we are.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Regardless of which Arab country you are from, you always get positive Asylum in Germany or the Netherlands if you tell the authorities that you are gay. As a gay from Arab countries it's too easy and they don't even test it.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: truthmaker

Regardless of which Arab country you are from, you always get positive Asylum in Germany or the Netherlands if you tell the authorities that you are gay. As a gay from Arab countries it's too easy and they don't even test it.

I didn't know that was something you could test.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Although I agree to you morally , I would know how to test it anyway.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
never mind.
sorry. i've got to stop doing this.
edit on 8-9-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join