It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

You can have my Uzi when you pry it from my cute widdle fingers...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:24 AM
Has the Zombie invasion started?

Why does a 9yr old need to know how to fire a fully automatic weapon, come on parents, let the child have a childhood, you know, dolls, action man, toys and all that stuff. Wait until they are a sensible age before you start stuffing guns in to their hands.

I know there will be many pro gun folk that say its their right to teach the child how to use guns but have you actually considered asking the child if they want to rather than it be some sort of macho family tradition?

IF the world gets to the state we need to be armed 24/7 just to walk the street then yes, start training the kids but as that has not yet got to that state lets give the kids full childhoods without the need for an Uzi 9mm or a phased plasma rifle in the 40W range.

Yes I'm well aware Americans have a right to have arms but does a 9yr old really need that knowledge of a potentially lethal weapon on their mind. I'm a Brit but if my 14yr old daughter needed the training I'd do it in a heartbeat but she doesn't as yet..
edit on 2-9-2014 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:04 AM

originally posted by: riffraff

originally posted by: roadgravel
Revolvers aren't known for jamming.

True, but I want more than 5 or 6 chances to hit my target.
I fear we are losing sight of the issue. The op is clearly anti-gun, made an ignorant remark,and I tried to expose his ignorance.
Had he bad mouthed, sig sauer, s&w, kimber, remington, colt, or browning I would have taken up for them too.
Instead we're having a pissing contest about our favorite guns.
Divide and conquer, we make it too easy for them

Wow! Talk about missing the point entirely.

Actually, it's post like yours that *make* my point.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:12 AM

originally posted by: roadgravel
The shooting range owner, in his statement, said it was something high up on the girl's bucket list. Sounded like she wanted to shoot. Also sounds overboard.

A 9 year old with a bucket list?!

As sad as it is, this story just gets better and better.

Thanks for posting that little gem.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:14 AM
i think this thread is not just about a machine pistol in the hands of a child, who cares what make a model.

Can kids shoot? Yeah definitely but somthing of appropriate size and caliber. I got my first gun when i was 11 and yes i did shoot my ear off, but that was because i was irresponsible and not trained, which the training is what that instructor failed to do. Gun sized be damned, while its okay to argue all day about what gun WAS appropriate, he was obviously a crappy instructor.

edit on b1515821 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:19 AM
a reply to: mwood

People who want to turn this into a debate for either side is wrong. If anything should happen the BUSINESSES that rent these firearms should have a minimum age rule for who they allow on the range.

And that is exactly the point of my OP. If there was ever a case where everyone should agree that horribly poor judgement was used by both parents & instructor - this is it.

And contrary to what some other posters have said - I am not anti-gun. Actually makes me chuckle since I own 4 of them.

It's the people that are using this tragedy to further their agenda - on either side of the debate - that should be tarred & feathered in my opinion.

Thinking of that poor little girl just breaks my heart...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:24 AM
a reply to: Biigs

yes i did shoot my ear off...

At least you didn't shoot you eye out. That's the mark it's measured against.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:58 AM
Lord this thread!

Look the only thing notable about this incident is that it had a gun involved. If this had been one of the thousands of accidents involving ATV's , Cars, Tractors, Swiming pools or other common items there would be no story. Its a story because it involves the boogyman de Jur Guns. People make mistakes all the time concerning the ability of children to accomplish something. Tragically sometimes those mistakes result in life changing injuries or even deaths. Its called life. We take our chances every day we get out of bed. I had a car accident when I was 16. My cousin and I were both injured and I live to this day with thoughts of what would have happened if I had done something different? Its part of being human. The Uzi is not a powerful firearm. In fact one of its attributes is that it is very controlable even at full auto. It fires a pistol round. The problem was that this instructor was very bad. He didnt maintain positive control over the firearm in his students hands. He also stood in a position that did not allow him to take control and opened him up to the accident that occured. He paid for his mistakes. She can learn from it and move on.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:21 AM
a reply to: Riffrafter

That story should have absolutely NO bearing on any debate over guns. The simple truth is that all free men should have the unlimited right to keep and bear arms. There is a reason that it states "shall not be infringed".

There is only one reason that the second amendment exists and it's not for hunting or protection from non-state sponsored criminals. Read into that what you will.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:59 AM

This is an issue between the parents and the instructor. Has nothing to do with anyone else.

The parents were irresponsible to have this happen.
And from what I recall, the instructor had poor judgement in many areas of this.

This has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment or people that are anti-2nd.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:10 AM
a reply to: projectvxn
As i said in my post about defensive gun use.

You're welcome to reference that number to crime statistics and determine the percentage of that number in regards to those totals. As it says in that post, the NRA has inflated numbers of gun defense. You believe what youd like in regards to gun defense, it makes no difference to me either way lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:36 AM
a reply to: kicked

An "Opinion Page" on the NY Times website is offered up as your credible rebuttal to this????

Yeah, I heard all I needed to from that.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:22 PM
a reply to: macman
I was wrong to assume that anyone would read it, i apologize. It's not the opinion piece it's the study that that piece is referencing...
VPC Study Pg. 8 is where you'll find the information that I quoted.

Just to clear up my position, I believe in everyone being able to have guns. It is your right, and even if i don't believe in everyone's reason for wanting one, i still believe in our duty to defend that right. People are willing to suggest that there would be an American insurgency "100 million strong - NoCorruptionAllowed".

If you are of that opinion then it is reassuring to hear things like that, because i can tell you that i won't be sitting around on my butt waiting to be rounded up if the reason for 'them' wanting the guns ever arises. If you believe your guns are for protection, then you deserve to have that reassurance. I'm just not buying that argument that they are and we can all agree to disagree that they are in fact for that because it's clear i am on my own on that one haha.
edit on 2-9-2014 by kicked because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:22 PM

The VPC study?
The Violence Policy Center?
The VPC is affiliated with Handgun Control Inc.
They have an anti gun agenda and are known to fudge their numbers. If you discount the NRA then you cant offer the VPC as a nonbiased rebuttle.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:48 PM

MANY including MYSELF have staked our lives on it...again.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:55 PM
a reply to: Mclaneinc

How do you know that the kid didn't BEG them to let her shoot it???? You don't...That's besides the point, my kids ask me to eat right before bed and for candy right before dinner. I don't let them. I wouldn't let them shoot a submachine gun either at the age of 8.

My daughter is 8. I asked her if she wanted to shoot a .22 rifle the last time we were out shooting. She said no thanks.

I didn't force her or even coerce her, I did teach her gun safety though.

edit on 2-9-2014 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:06 PM
These places see thousands come and go without incident. Horrible accident happened here. Not sure these places should allow kids to shoot FA, but that's a matter for the parents really. A good parent would not accept the risk of allowing their child to shoot FA.

Its not the legal UZI's you should be after but rather the JB weld specials like this. These can be had with no checks whatsoever, and will be delivered to your front door. We call em JB weld specials because all you need to construct a sub gun is a couple tubes of JB weld.

Every self respecting gang banger has one or two at least.

edit on 2-9-2014 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:02 PM
When some law is created giving the OP control of how people raise there children, I might care. But then that's communism and I would move from this country.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:47 PM
..."I mean, what are the pro-gun arguments? "Well, she shouldn't have had an UZI but a Glock is OK"....or how about a Desert Eagle .50 Cal? "....
thats very much the crux of the issue. children ride in car seats because full sized seats are considered inappropriate. children are given safety scissors because the standard version is considered inappropriate. children are given reduced dosages of medicine because adult sizes are considered inappropriate. children's bikes are usually outfitted with training wheels and pools should be fenced and gated.
An uzi, and most machine pistols, are very challenging to use for adults. It takes strength and training to use effectively. control of recoil is the issue. To assume that being small was the measure of safety was an ignorant mistake of the instructor who should have known better. Unfortunately he is not the only one to make that mistake. I supposed to the gun illiterate, a gun is a gun, but that is not the case. Some are inherently more difficult to use, others easier. The instructor picked what was arguably one of the most inappropriate weapons on earth to place in the hands of a novice.
Had she been firing a more appropriate firearm, such as a long barreled rifle, nothing would have happened. The weight of the weapon would have helped balance the lack of strength and experience in controlling recoil, and a long barrel would have limited the possible directions of aiming.
So to answer your jib, the choice of weapon is very much at the center of this story.
There are those who are against firearms and raise this incident as a justification to ban them. To them I say this was a tragic and preventable accident, but I would no more use this as an excuse to ban firearms then I would try to ban pools, skateboards, bicycles, or household cleaners that children are literally hundreds of times more likely to be injured or killed by.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:05 PM

The stupidity imo comes from the anti-gun lobby trying to use anything and everything to impose their views on everyone else.

Meanwhile it is really stupid that this instructor or the parents of that girl were trying to teach her to use an uzi, that is not an excuse to proclain "the gun crowd have to change their minds or we will change it for them"...

Do you all say the same thing every time a child accidentally kills or injures someone else with any other object?... "Oh no, the child was playing with a kitchen knife and injured her sibling...WE MUST BAN ALL KITCHEN KNIVES!!!

"The kid grabbed the car keys and drove the car right over grandpa... WE MUST BAN ALL CARS!!!

Of course not... that was the result from the parents making mistakes, many times stupid mistakes just like giving a child an uzi. You don't use an accident or a mistake like that to impose your anti-gun mentallity on others...

A gun is an object, it doesn't make you "want to kill someone" like the "anti-gun crowd" seems to think.

edit on 3-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:07 PM
a reply to: robobbob

Well, perhaps you didn't know that there have been and continue to be children who are taught at an early age to have respect for guns/rifles and how to properly use it.

If the uzi relly was a full-auto, then that was stupid. Just like you don't give a 9 year old a shutgun to hunt because it has too much of a kickback for the child to be able to control it.

edit on 3-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>