It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

icloud hack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Well.. if you have an iphone you may want to check what pics you have uploaded to iCloud. A bunch of famous people just had their personal pics released to the interwebs. This is what happens when you trust your information to any "cloud" service. It is crazy that stars take nudes of themselves and then upload them to Apple. Please folks, be careful what you put on your phones and allow automatic backup to some server somewhere, even if they have a name like iPhone. Right now agents all over Hollywood and New York are having panic attacks. This is a big big event, not just for the celebrities but for "cloud" services in general.

Details

Variable

edit on 8/31/2014 by Variable because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The rules of safe passwords are impossible for most people. I'm listened to people type ginormous passwords thinking I would never be able to remember that. I can't even type in my cells password correctly when I wake up to turn off the alarm!

Everyone needed this wake-up call about the cloud. Conveignance isn't always the best for privacy
edit on 31-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Variable

I have been thinking this since the cloud became a buzz word. There is a reason google and the others push "cloud services".

Its to keep people, and businesses dependent on something else, something they can do themselves. Cloud storage and computing brings convenience.. but at a hefty price most people don't realize. Big companies are jumping at the opportunity to sell a profitable subscription and to monetize the data (or meta data, another buzz word).

Every time you upload a picture to a cloud server (i am taking about the big iron ones like google) your data is scanned, parsed and stored not only in your little cloud folder, but another database for use of the highest bidder and what ever government agency demands.

You can delete files out of your gmail and off of your cloud folder, but its in their database and deep storage farms forever.

Look at your android phone. click on settings, and backup & reset.... notice the option to store contacts, pictures and everything else is checked? its on by default. Every picture you have taken with your phone is on a google server.

Cloud computing and storage is another brave new world bullet point.

I set up my own cloud device in my basement on a linux server. I use OwnCloud, it is a free and opensource application that can be used, modified and verified by anyone with the skill.

edit on 1-9-2014 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well I've mentioned this on here before. It's the photo streaming in this case. Do not allow photo stream. Do not allow location services if you do not want the location of the photo known. Other photos are not going to icloud. Photo stream duplicates pictures across devices and they are stored for 50 days on the icloud server. Or you can go to icloud.com and delete them manually and disable icloud.

Everything you allow on icloud is stored. iBooks, notes, photos, videos, emails, music, iTunes purchases., calendar , contacts, reminders.

I just store my iTunes purchases and yes I do notes which are just my boring shopping lists . I write them on iPad, then when I get to the store, read them on my iPhone.

I don't allow safari. Siri is keeping track of your life too. Like " remind me doctors tomorrow" , call my sister, etc.
Bluetooth is another.

I might be the only nerd who actually reads the terms. I read them.
Really , if you are a celebrity, you should educate yourself.
edit on 1-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The point is. Icloud is so darn handy. So it's attractive to use and advertised as a convenience
I say , it's real purpose is to log every detail of your life. It was invented for that. Not because it's got great features. It's to collect data on all of us. Each software update adds more spying. Each new iPhone does.

It's worse than Facebook, which I do not have.

If you have things in your life you wish to hide, stay away from smartphones and Apple devices.
edit on 1-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Android settings is worse than just on by default. Updates and restarting my phone is always changing my privacy settings.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Ill never forget last christmas when my girlfriend got me a nexus 7, I powered it on, and set up my gmail.

Boom! My background changed to the same one on my phone, all my contacts appeared, some photos showed up in gallery from my phone.

I wasn't happy about that, because my cell phone was off at the time - which meant google took it upon themselves to go ahead and store the contents of my phone.

nice.

Ben Franklyn once said " If you give up your privacy rights to google and sign away liberty when you click accept for security and convenience of cloud computing you will end up with neither"

I think thats what he said.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet

If you have things in your life you wish to hide, stay away from smartphones and Apple devices.

Well, I dont have any thing to hide, but that does not give anyone the right to listen in on me, or go through my private things.

People today need to be better informed about what they are signing up for, too often they get stars in their eyes and go for the shiny cool convenient quick thing, not realizing what the hidden costs are.

While I do love my smart phone, I have been getting to the point lately where I just want to downsize to a dumb phone, for the privacy concerns and mostly to save $$.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
LOL awesome... reddit calls it "the fappening" ahhahah

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
that is why I don't use cloud, and the fact that the Govt can collect all the meta-data via satellite transference modules in the on board Internet computers as it is transfered to these supposed secure servers.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Okay, so did they discover some "leaks" or was it just-in beaver? Not to say it isn't horrible, now people's intimate privacy is exposed, but damn.
edit on 1-9-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Okay, so did they discover some "leaks" or was it just-in beaver? Not to say it isn't horrible, now people's intimate privacy is exposed, but damn.

No no... no just-in beaver there... but lots of UP of kate UPton... and believe me... LOTS of kate upton. Its worth it. lol I still dont believe it all fits in a single camera lens... lol

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

There is a lot here. Let's face it, in the cultural we live in today, beautiful women with naked pictures on the internet is not a a career killer. But what does this say about Apple. We always here how Apple is more secure than MS...I think this is a big black eye for them, a PR nightmare to be sure.

I think the cloud is mostly hype. I never understood why a company would want to take they email server and give it up to someone else just to save some money on IT people. It is fine for company with 12 people. I think cloud service in general are good for small companies, but look at what can happen. Who knows what the CEO is sending to his friends, what if it was nude pics of your mistress and a hacker got them? Or Corporate espionage, theft of pending deals. In the right hands, this could be big money.

V

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The cloud not only isn't going away, the trend is to stop making phones with so much memory so you have to use it.

I currently back up my period app. If anyone figures out a way to make me suffer with that, I hope they choose the right time for it!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Does anyone have a chart showing where the attack came from?
China, Russia...?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
The cloud not only isn't going away, the trend is to stop making phones with so much memory so you have to use it.

I currently back up my period app. If anyone figures out a way to make me suffer with that, I hope they choose the right time for it!

How about... get ready for it!
Folks stop taking nudes with their smart phones....
Use a digital camera. Then load it onto a SD card or rather. Anything that's not stored on the computer.

Even if a phone has a lot of memory and you use a cloud service.. your phone itself is linking up to cell towers/satellites and data centers...
In time just the phone will be hacked. So don't do something on your cell you may regret...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I don't want to be a jerk but who are half of these actresses?

And the man in me has to admit, not one of them are my cup of tea.

No talent and no quality anymore. But, to be honest, they're jumping allover this investigation. If it were average citizens it would be "Sure, we'll get to it. In the meantime, you just refrain from taking those naughty pics."

This society's concept of beauty is as voluptuous as boiled seitan.

new topics

top topics

join