It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the subject of the folly of disregard and derision

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Let's just call it the fallacy of painting with too broad of a brush. "Only a fool," I could go into way too much effort picking this apart from every angle I can imagine, but I'll simply say this. Black and white thinking and absolutist thinking is almost never correct. Life and truth are subtle things and require an understanding of multiple vantages to even begin to approach an understanding of reality.

"Only & Ever", "Always or Never", etc are words that we should probably abolish from our everyday use insofar as we are capable of doing so.

Here is a counterexample to your premise. A wise man might not have enough time to digest every piece of available information, so for the sake of rapid decisiveness, he only considers the top three most likely conclusions drawn from reputable sources. Is this the activity of a fool?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.........
In case you didn't notice, I wasn't going too in depth in my comments.

So, yea.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I agree HarbingerOfShadows. I really enjoy your contributions here man.

However, if I am talking to someone & it becomes apparent that they care more about winning an argument &/or scoring points rather than a curiosity for & love of, looking for truth, I get bored very quickly.

If I engage with such people, it is because I know others will be reading who love truth, wherever it takes them, & understand it means being humble & feeling like a fool.

You sound like such a person & it is a real pleasure to have the chance to learn about your ideas & talk to you.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Very few people have a multi-faceted approach to reality, and it takes a great mind to observe differing opinions and deem them to be valid in their own right. What I try to do, is not necessarily disagree with others, but, offer different opinions that might help to break the ice on issues or concepts that have been seen with the same lens for too long.

Some concepts themselves require one to understand what perception is, however, this requires a mind that is developed and able to handle many thoughts at the same time, as opposed to dealing with thoughts in simple chains or "right" or "wrong" or, "agree" or "disagree".

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

But it's the internet. We can put people down without having to look them in the face. Think about the wonders that can do for someone with a low self esteem!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

Having low self esteem myself.
I never saw the point of putting others down to build myself up.
Sure, it makes one feel better about one's self.
But all it does is create a illusion.
A twisted and damaging one.
From my obseration it generally makes one feel better about themselves by figuratively inserting one's heads farther and farther up one's rectum.
Which leads to a completely flawed at it's very foundation way of thinking.
Blinds them in a sense.
In my humble opinion at least.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join