It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the subject of the folly of disregard and derision

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Just a random thought.

It is my opinion that only a fool disregards and derides any view point or bit of information.
Everything has something to teach us and only a fool thinks otherwise.
It's just a question of how one looks at something.
And if you cannot imagine something can be looked at in another light and still potentially be valid.
You're missing something.
[/soapbox]

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Did you know that you can get millions of dollars free from the government? All you have to do is file an "exemption from poverty" letter, and send it to Joe Biden, to be personally processed....

That's actually just some BS I made up. My challenge to you would be to find what light you need to look at that in to make it valid. Sure, you can learn something from it, you can learn that its BS. But my point is that some pieces of information just aren't valid.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Proverbs 18:2 - A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

I appreciate your comments. You are taking pleasure in understanding.

edit on 31-8-2014 by AlephBet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue

But what if the information presented is meant to deliberately stall, misdirect, obscure and/or missrepresent. Until you look at ALL the information presented as a collection, it's hard to see certain answers, especially when someone is trying to conceal motive. After the fact you can just throw certain bits away, but to do it blindly is simply blind.
edit on 8/31/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

That's actually a really good point, the idea about looking at all the information as a collection. Some times you can learn a great deal about something being hidden by the mere presence of a lie or deception....

edit on 31-8-2014 by tridentblue because: clarity

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AlephBet

I enjoy more the pursuit than of the goal than the goal really.
We humans seem to be stuck on endings and their opposites to be honest.
When thus far there is not really any such thing.
In the bigger picture of things at least.

Sorry if I come off vague.
Just my frame of mind at the moment.
Well, most of the time.
If one wants to be honest.

a reply to: AnteBellum

I agree with you to a point.
To throw away something is to deem it insignificant.
At least, again, in my opinion.
Also, just in my opinion, nothing is insignificant.

In my opinion, everything is a lie.
And everything is truth.
Well, to put it as simply as possible.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Gosh, what do I say to that Harbinger? I gives me a smile, from a part of my soul that knows you're connected with deep truth. But at the same time, to stay on track, I feel we have to keep looking for the truth, and be willing to call 'BS' on certain things. Its all about keeping the progress moving forward, learning a little more every day!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

To educate. To entertain. To communicate. To inform. To question. These infinitives represent a few of mankind's motives for the exchange of information. To deceive. To misinform. To debate. To demoralize. So do these. Realization your dream ride listed for $10000 was in fact the down payment; discovering She does not love you and never did. Information, viewpoints--take time to consume, to process--thus in the endless pursuit of knowledge and truth one must consider the source, the genre (Op-ed, Viewpoint, AP release), and the time investment in choosing which bit or byte to swallow. When the sole knowledge to be gained is of time better spent elsewhere, such enlightenment is better unknown.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Thank you for the kind words.
I truly do appreciate it.
I don't know that I know or am connected to any great truths though.

I fancy myself just another traveller.
Lost in the storm.

a reply to: AphoticJoe

Good, better, best.
Bad, worse, worst.

Rather limited words in my opinion.
Indictative of restriction.
Whether it is placed by one's self or something else.
And often used to attempt to restrict others.

edit on 31-8-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

On a slightly tangental yet not really note.
Funny thing about motivations.

They can be and I bet often are, little more than illusions.
Even to the person being honest as to their motivations.

What one calls education another calls indoctrination.
edit on 31-8-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Good, better, best.
Bad, worse, worst.

Rather limited words in my opinion.
Indictative of restriction.
Whether it is placed by one's self or something else.
And often used to attempt to restrict others.

I agree and well met. Restrictions begin with the day's first thought.

On a slightly tangental yet not really note.
Funny thing about motivations.

They can be and I bet often are, little more than illusions.
Even to the person being honest as to their motivations.

What one calls education another calls indoctrination.

Well met once again. Motivation subverted by impulse disguised as opinions derived from erroneous sources. No argument here for education as the standard escalator up the mountain of knowledge where the higher the ledge one sits equates to how far one can see off into the distance. Even if one dangles legs off the highest ledge eyes perpetually shut, he must open them sometime. Knowing you know yet denying you know better, is much worse than successfully convincing the world you had no idea.

Excellent thread by the way.

edit on PMp11201431212014-08-31T23:21:03-05:00J2014America/Chicago by AphoticJoe because: word roulette

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
Just a random thought.

It is my opinion that only a fool disregards and derides any view point or bit of information.
Everything has something to teach us and only a fool thinks otherwise.
It's just a question of how one looks at something.
And if you cannot imagine something can be looked at in another light and still potentially be valid.
[/soapbox]

While I would wholeheartedly agree with the overall premise, there Are and Always Will be exceptions.

those soooo ludicrous or minimal as to not even deserve further attentions/interest.?

i'll start 'my search' there ... and work my way up.

edit on 8/31/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: grammar

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

Just by labeling an idea ludicrous or minimal you are still reflecting on it, and thus not disregarding it totally. Avoidance of deriding such an idea is another story all together. There probably is quite a bit to be learned from trying to see the world through someone embraces a ludicrous and minimal idea.... but that way madness lay.

edit on 31-8-2014 by slip2break because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

true...

but i'd have to think each and every has a tolerance or level of 'lol-garbage' as well.

that which isn't worthy further concern, interest, etc.

???

[ETA]
mine's near molecular, if that helps any.

i'll sift through most anything ....

???

edit on 8/31/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Thank you sir or ma'am.
I'm not so sure that the mountain is a mountain though.
Or if you can really see anything on it.
Or even if seeing anything is desirable.

Or I just think too damn much.

"You know where it is. Yea well usually it depends on where you start."
That's a song quote by the way.

Exceptions mean there are rules.
I'm not so sure there is any such thing.
Other than externally imposed ones.

a reply to: slip2break

What is madness but just another way of looking at things?

No offense meant truly.
But your speech sounds a tad self congratulatory to me.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

What is madness but just another way of looking at things?

We should all do it more often...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Just a random thought.

It is my opinion that.........if you cannot imagine something can be looked at in another light and still potentially be valid.
[/soapbox]

That's putting it nicely. So, if I may...........

The people you're referring to are childish by nature. The understanding of other people and how to react to them in a mature fashion is missing. In my experience of being around people like that, it's like having a bolt loose on a wheel. The wheel will wobble and will be a liability to the rest of the apparatus that the wheel is on. In this case, the society in which they live. Usually though, you just tighten the bolt and all is well. In the case of people though, we don't seem to have that option. When the bolt is loose it stays that way during their lifetime.

Understanding that people who are this way will always be this way makes it easier for the rest of us to avoid them like the plague. There is no helping nor reasoning with them. The portion of their brain that is capable of reasoning is blank and void of life and other people cannot fill in those blanks. They are the way "God" made them, every garden has weeds, and I believe there is a reason for that.

It tests the patience of everyone else and forces our maturity to another level that we would not be able to reach otherwise. In other words, they serve as a learning apparatus for the rest of us. This way of looking at things is in tandem with other people who say that you cannot look at just one thing and learn from it. You have to look at the big picture in order to get a full understanding of it.

Another part of the big picture here is understanding that many of these people don't handle their shortcoming very well. They will try to compensate for it by deceiving others into thinking that they don't have this handicap. They do this by deriding and undermining what others do, or even trying to control others into doing what they want. Some of these people even move up into professional positions where they are in charge of other people. They didn't move up because of skill, but rather deception.

I knew someone once who was illiterate and he compensated for it in ways that would lead no one to think that he was illiterate. But he he was never negative to other people. He wasn't a prick about it. The moral of that little story is that most illiterate people seem to have a better disposition than those who don't fully understand how human nature works.

In short, life is too short to waste on people like that. Learn what you can from them and move on......leaving them in their own little dark corner of the world.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Only a true Scotsman... is itself a logical fallacy. Check your privilege. lmao.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

edit on -05:0047149482014-09-01T10:48:47-05:00 by Psynic because: Disregard

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

What privilege?
Or even better yet, where did I commit the fallacy?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join