It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many living things are on this planet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
There is only one.
Multiplicity is an illusion.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

We really aren't that awesome, folks. We're totally outnumbered. Shouldn't we make friends with the other species who cohabit this Earth?

I think so.

And I think it would behoove us to realize that. We are NOT the only "people" on this planet.

Yeah. But, I'm hungry.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Yeah. But, I'm hungry.

Mm. Yes, and so are all the millions of little guys living in and on you!.

Actually, I think there is a good reason we can't "see" those little buggers. Imagine how freaked out we would be!
I used to have a colleague with germophobia. We worked the front desk at a very busy convention hotel. She always used just the tip of one finger to check in/assign rooms/check out guests - on a full-size keyboard, and after every few minutes of super-long lines of guests, she'd use her hand sanitizer, it was like she cringed every time she had to touch money, or a pen that others used, or ANYTHING.

Sometimes she'd bug out and I'd find her scrubbing her hands in the bathroom...
One day she said she wanted to have one of those blacklights they use to see all the yucky stuff in the rooms.

I said, "You are the LAST person who needs to know about all the yucky stuff in the rooms!"
I felt bad for her, but it was kinda funny (if she hadn't been suffering so much, it would have been, at least.)

We don't NEED to know how many creepy crawlers lurk everywhere in order to survive...most of them don't make trouble. Some of them, yes, but...

Anyway, just random thoughts on the subject.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

And as I said - I think the question is impossible to answer.

Do any of you have a guess?

I'm saying: A trillion bejillion gazillion googillian billion million several hundred thousand and five.

Any other guesses?

One. One living thing with many branches of life stemming from it, how many branches is what you are asking if one wants to get all new age metaphysical or what ever philosophy one chooses create or follow.

One life that has mothered everything upon it.

Now if ET is here that makes answering the question even more relative from a philosophical point of view.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Since everything in solid form is basically coagulated/ hardened consciousness, everything is living, plants, animals, rocks, grains of sand...everything...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah, it's impossible to "wash them off". I've heard/read that, too.

If I recall correctly, there are more microorganisms in the human body than there are human cells....

But I'll go check to see if that's recalled correctly...........

Yep, here it is!:

The human body contains about 100 trillion cells, but only maybe one in 10 of those cells is actually — human. The rest are from bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms.

Finally, A Map Of All The Microbes On Your Body

So cool, what a fun thread. Mind expanding.

While reading that link I had the thought that we are just earths for those little microbes, just like we are little microbes to our earth!

It's so fun to go down this path. Cells are mini solar systems, all that....

Eta:sorry I see Quervo said the earth thing already, and more eloquently so...
edit on 1-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: Oops

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
We are each a universe to out inner flora, but I wouldn't call bacteria people.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I like to imagine my inner universe as a utopian existence free from religion, money, violence and greed.

The healthier your diet and lifestyle, the healthier your microbes.

I'm thinking we're unhealthy to our planet at the moment.
edit on 1-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

One life that has mothered everything upon it.

Yes. The Earth. This planet is our mother. Let's take care of her!!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

everything is living, plants, animals, rocks, grains of sand...everything...

Yes.
Are you familiar with Deism? I think perhaps you'd enjoy learning about it.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

While reading that link I had the thought that we are just earths for those little microbes, just like we are little microbes to our earth!
Yes! Have you ever read Horton Hears a Who?
"A person's a person, no matter how small."

It's so fun to go down this path. Cells are mini solar systems, all that....

I agree.

Eta:sorry I see Quervo said the earth thing already, and more eloquently so...

Nonono! It deserves saying in EVERYONE'S voice!
Cuervo did an eloquent job, and so did you!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I wouldn't call bacteria people.

Okay

Are there any other species that you WOULD consider to be 'people'? Like in our household - the cats and dogs are residents; they are "people".

They contribute to the ecosystem (one of them is an excellent mole-hunter, snake-hunter, bird-hunter, etc - although she only brings the moles to the door actually dead....the rest she brings in alive, and delights in my excitement while I grasp them up and put them back outdoors!!) - they are members of the household.

Personally, I would include Horses, Cattle, Whales, Dolphins, Elephants, Apes, Monkeys, Lions, Wolves, Bears, Otters, Birds...and other species as well. Any creature who shows a personality (hell, even our FISH show personalities!). Who performs eye contact; who indicates a glimmer of communication.

So, ketsuko...do you consider anyone except the humans in your life to be "people"?
Just curious.

edit on 9/1/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join