It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Hours to EDIT My A$$!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I feel your pain and have experienced the less than 4 hour window as well. Usually I am only trying to fix a typo. I am terribly bad at grammar/punctuation and sometimes don't see it until it's too late... then it haunts me because I can't fix it.

I'm not sure why it always says 4 hours when it isn't. Maybe some kind of glitch? Who knows...

It's a time zone issue.

Easy fix IMO.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

"News keeps pouring in fast on current events and we would be ahead of the game if we as authors of a thread could keep up to Date for others."

It's always about posting fast and furious but one minute or 2 hours later things can change. Why not allow us to change the OP so as to either update or even say..."oops...5 hours later, hoax Detected...Please Delete"

I see where your coming from now.
Actually making the INITIAL THREAD POST editable for an extended period of time is a great idea. Most people judge entire threads by this initial post and the ability to update, for say a week, would have made many threads stronger and more informative for all reading. When I come upon a highly flagged/posted thread I usually read it only to a certain point, starting at the op post. But if it's 15+ pages long and full of comments in all directions sometimes the best information gets overlooked. As an author landmarking key replies back in the initial post would be invalueable at trying to make the best, most informative thread possible.

As for all other situations it never really bothered me or has been an issue.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Why not script the OP of threads so that they can have an update box. That way the original post remains as posted ensuring nothing silly takes place, but the author is able to update the extra box.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
what the hell... the "edit" is not supposed to be used for "oh by the time I get my thoughts"... are you even serious?

The "edit" is made to correct stuff and to add last minute or remove last minute things.

Actually it should be like 30 minutes... Want to "edit" your afterthoughts after a bath, a glass of wine and a session of tantric sex, fine... open a new post!

What the... I'm not even sure why a thread like this even exists.

You completely missed the meaning of "edit" or "editing a post"... lol wow...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
what the hell... the "edit" is not supposed to be used for "oh by the time I get my thoughts"... are you even serious?

The "edit" is made to correct stuff and to add last minute or remove last minute things.

Actually it should be like 30 minutes... Want to "edit" your afterthoughts after a bath, a glass of wine and a session of tantric sex, fine... open a new post!

"What the... I'm not even sure why a thread like this even exists. "

Because of people like you that Don't get it.

Tired of explaining but if I had more time I could add to the OP in simple terms. It's for new and incoming info for the OP to update on an ongoing basis...simple.

Peace

edit on 31-8-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Why not script the OP of threads so that they can have an update box. That way the original post remains as posted ensuring nothing silly takes place, but the author is able to update the extra box.

There it is...a simple answer to a simple problem.

Thanx...Appreciated.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Something like this.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Something like this.

Thanx!

Now can we please put something like this into play?

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Tired of explaining but if I had more time I could add to the OP in simple terms.

Peace

No, you friendly member of the forum I visit. You are the one that doesnt get it. Any forum I'm a member of gives you an hour tops to edit your post.

What you have to think is the blow back. You see... in a forum when you're discussing matters with other living breathing human beings you cant just say whatever you like and then just read it all, then delete it, and make it go away and just say "I didnt say it" or pretend you didnt say it. Thats the other side of the blade and thats why editing timers are on effect and thats the part YOU dont understand... but, since this isnt YOUR forum, and isnt tailor made for YOU, I'm not bothered.

I'm just here asking why such a thread exists because nothing is going to change just because YOU think the whole forum is going to change its rules because of the special little unique snowflake who doesnt understand the rules to its full extent and its consequences because that special little unique snowflake is all about me me me.

Now, that wasnt so hard, now... was it?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I'm just here asking why such a thread exists because nothing is going to change just because YOU think the whole FORUM is going to change its RULES because of the special little unique snowflake who doesnt UNDERSTAND THE RULES to its full extent and its consequences because that special little unique snowflake is all about me me me.

I am usually a defender of the forum. Most complaints are dumb. But the forum itself says you get 4 hours. When in many cases you do not. That is what ATS says. ATS does not say you have 30 minutes. ATS says you are supposed to have four hours. It is not some random number the OP made up to justify her after pooping posting

In my opinion it is dumb to demand ATS to conform to a single users wishes. This is not that. The first post in this thread is about why something that we are supposed to have. A four hour window to edit posts. Does not always work. Should the OP of made a thread to complain in this manner. Maybe not. The OP probably should of put this in board questions. But this is a rant thread lol. This is not even in my top ten worst rant threads.

EDIT LOL

Nevermind......I re-read and she does ask for 24 hours to edit her thread and asks why the code can not be changed carry on

edit on 31-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: Oh noes I edited

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

"News keeps pouring in fast on current events and we would be ahead of the game if we as authors of a thread could keep up to Date for others."

It's always about posting fast and furious but one minute or 2 hours later things can change. Why not allow us to change the OP so as to either update or even say..."oops...5 hours later, hoax Detected...Please Delete"

I see where your coming from now.
Actually making the INITIAL THREAD POST editable for an extended period of time is a great idea. Most people judge entire threads by this initial post and the ability to update, for say a week, would have made many threads stronger and more informative for all reading. When I come upon a highly flagged/posted thread I usually read it only to a certain point, starting at the op post. But if it's 15+ pages long and full of comments in all directions sometimes the best information gets overlooked. As an author landmarking key replies back in the initial post would be invalueable at trying to make the best, most informative thread possible.

As for all other situations it never really bothered me or has been an issue.

To play a little devils advocate, you can always click to view the authors posts in the thread in a single view. Thats what I'd do in a 15 page thread that has meandered off course.

But I agree with jude also. it says 4 hours. so to be told to get over it, is bad form.

comes across as saying "we're not going to fix it.. so deal.. not your personal secretary!!"

But hey, look.. shiny buttons !!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Yea I laugh at the 4 hrs to edit.

I don't ever remember it being that long. It drives me nuts! I went back 45 mins after I posted a thread recently and it wouldn't let me edit.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

Soooo you aren't reading the thread are you...

?

and it still does NOT change the fact the given time frame is not accurate.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I am having the exact same problems and I sympathize with.

When I was younger it was five or ten minutes...but now that
I've hit fifty these ninety minute craps are becoming the norm...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
If these are the sort of problems that bother you (ancient code details that really don't mean anything and are far, FAR, down the list of stuff that needs attention) I certainly hope you realize how LUCKY you are compared to folks who have to worry about where their next meal will come from.

Really? 2 pages over a long time standing inaccurate php notation?!

Good for all of you who are upset over this, you were obviously born in the right hemisphere.

sigh...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I think this is an awesome idea! I was trying to think of a way to articulate it but you did it perfectly.

On some forums you'll see people take 'reserve' a post after the character limit is reached in the OP to do just this.

This would be extremely helpful for OPs that are debunked some 20 pages later, or as new information flows in and the thread needs updates.

For normal replies I don't think it matters much. You can just pop in another post. It's really the OP that should have some reworks available.

I was kind of under the impression you could contact a mod if something was important enough, but I think it would save tons of time and headaches if there was a second entry field that could be at least added to after the initial post edit time expired.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Yeah I think this is pretty far down the list of 'issues'.

I still think it would be a neat idea to be able to add additional info to the OP in real time so that people visiting a thread for the first time could get up to speed and be able to jump into the conversation with a little more ease.

I actually think that the amount of time you're allowed to edit a post is perfect. Throws a wrench in the thing when people vastly change what they've said.

I'm pretty darn happy with the site the way it is.

It's one thing to have some ideas and offer suggestions, but it's annoying when people get all bent out of shape over such trivial things (not saying you OP (I had to edit that in
). Hey, at least this isn't the smiley debacle.

edit on 0120140920141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
If these are the sort of problems that bother you (ancient code details that really don't mean anything and are far, FAR, down the list of stuff that needs attention) I certainly hope you realize how LUCKY you are compared to folks who have to worry about where their next meal will come from.

Really? 2 pages over a long time standing inaccurate php notation?!

Good for all of you who are upset over this, you were obviously born in the right hemisphere.

sigh...

Comparing a suggestion for a code tweak to people starving?

I'm lost.

Also, apparently it Does mean something to some. Why belittle those who feel this way? Was ATS not Developed and grown by members input and ideas?

Born in the right hemisphere?

Never thought to see a group insult from the site owners for a suggestion. Especially one that is valid and Discussed in a calm manner.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Tired of explaining but if I had more time I could add to the OP in simple terms.

Peace

No, you friendly member of the forum I visit. You are the one that doesnt get it. Any forum I'm a member of gives you an hour tops to edit your post.

What you have to think is the blow back. You see... in a forum when you're discussing matters with other living breathing human beings you cant just say whatever you like and then just read it all, then delete it, and make it go away and just say "I didnt say it" or pretend you didnt say it. Thats the other side of the blade and thats why editing timers are on effect and thats the part YOU dont understand... but, since this isnt YOUR forum, and isnt tailor made for YOU, I'm not bothered.

I'm just here asking why such a thread exists because nothing is going to change just because YOU think the whole forum is going to change its rules because of the special little unique snowflake who doesnt understand the rules to its full extent and its consequences because that special little unique snowflake is all about me me me.

Asking for the 4 hours not ever given but stated as allowed and then suggesting 17 are 2 Different things aren't they?

I'll take the 4 gladly.

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure the 4 hour thing is just something that hasn't been fixed yet to reflect actual time allotted. I think that's what Springer meant when he said 2 pages on inaccurate php information. What is a php? Beats me. OK I Googled it and am now fairly certain that's what he meant.

I don't know enough about building websites to say if that's an easy fix or not. My guess is probably not otherwise it would be done already.

My guess is that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of and ATS has a finite amount of people working on things.

I tend to give staff and admins here the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't like the tone of the post you were replying to either. A bit antagonistic.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join