It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The origin of Freemasonry

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
In the past few days, I have been doing much research on Freemasonry. Pro-Mason sites always make it clear that Freemasonry is not a religion. Anti-Mason sites of course say the opposite. I feel very strongly that Freemasonry is not anything evil or to be afraid of (contrary to conspirators), but I am still unsure whether or not it is a religion (in the higher degrees). I found a very interesting article on Freemasonry and its supposed religious origin. I would like you guys to give me your thoughts on it.

freemasonry.bcy.ca...




posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
It is a little difficult to state whether Freemasonry is a religion due to the higher degrees.

I have been taught, I have researched etc and always come to the fact that Freemasonry consists of 3 degrees, and only 3. The additional York and Scottish Rite are additional and not mandatory.

If there are any religious directions in these it is the Rite itself and not Freemasonry, think I've worded that right, that would be religous. Although saying that I have not found anything that would support the opinion that Freemasonry, or the Rites, is a Religion, and it only requires that a petitioner for membership has a religous faith.

I think some of the later degrees may be specific to particular faiths, like the Templar degree requiring you to be Christian as did the original order I think, but I am not sure.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
That article speaks only of three degrees; Entered Apprentice, the Fellow Craft, and Master Mason. According to the article, it is within the Master Mason's Lodge that these secrets are concealed.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
There is a good article on Freemasonry in the Wikipedia located here
en.wikipedia.org...

It is niether pro-mason or anti-mason.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I am aware of that article. This thread is for discussion of the article I linked to, which is very different from Wikipedia's.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Sorry if I seem somewhat sarcastic, but I'll be damned if every jot, tittle, trivet and scuppin of Freemasonry hasn't been discussed about ten thousand times in these forums already.

I'm pretty sure I've seen posts explaining everything from the culinary preferences of Albert Pike to the prescribed order in which Masons are required to put their pants on (interestingly, it's "left-leg, right-leg", although the Solomonic ritual is the reverse).

Truly, I don't mean to come across the wrong way, but damn.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
edit:

Nevermind, there's some good input below now.


[edit on 12/6/2004 by king_nothing_]



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by king_nothing_
That article speaks only of three degrees; Entered Apprentice, the Fellow Craft, and Master Mason. According to the article, it is within the Master Mason's Lodge that these secrets are concealed.


I was referring to your own post and the mention of the higher degrees.

The article itself answers it for me


Thomas Paine (1737/01/29 - 1809/06/08) has not been proven to have been a Freemason. A brilliant pamphleteer, his theory about the origins of Freemasonry is only of interest as an historical curiosity.


It is an interesting article though and a good read, but it is the opinion and theory of one person.

It has an interesting comment regarding the creation of the world which would slot in nicely to some of the religion threads in other forums.

And the origin and theory of the secrecy is a good one, but could also say that freemsonry was created by the original christians with that argument or a number of other groups/religions that started or acted in secret.

IMO excellent theory, but would never be accepted due to the claims on relgious faiths stemming from similar pools as freemasonry. The editted version originally published would probably gather a following and would be used in many an argument as fact.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Every article on the origins of Freemasonry can only ever be an opinion. There is no definite answer as to when or where Freemasonry began.

As far as this article goes, I don't see it as being either very well researched or argued. Freemasonry certainly does not contain solar worship nor does it lay any stress whatsoever on the Sun. The fact that the Sun is only mentioned 4 or 5 times in a ritual that contains hundreds of thousands of words only goes to strengthen this point.

Of course there is going to be mention of the Sun in any ritual - in masonry it is used in conjunction with time - it sits up there and powers our planet. But just because it is mentioned doesn't mean that it is worshipped.
As already stated time and time again - Freemasonry is not a religion. It does not dictate to a man who his God should be - neither Biblical nor Solar.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
As far as this article goes, I don't see it as being either very well researched or argued. Freemasonry certainly does not contain solar worship nor does it lay any stress whatsoever on the Sun. The fact that the Sun is only mentioned 4 or 5 times in a ritual that contains hundreds of thousands of words only goes to strengthen this point.


Are you a mason?

[edit on 12/6/2004 by king_nothing_]



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
To extend on what leveller has said, I believe the use of the sun in ritual is used to explain the location of certain officers when in lodge. In example they may be positioned in the East cause that's where the sun rises and denotes the start of the day or in the West cause that is where it sets and means the end of the day, or something along those lines.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yes. And there are many more who post here on ATS.

To pick up just one point about the article. Although Master Mason is the Sublime Degree and the pinnacle of the mason's career and knowledge, the Fellow Craft is the degree where the mason gains a lot of that knowledge - it is the degree of study.
A Fellow Craft should be a lot better instructed in the knowledge of masonry than an Entered Apprentice - totally contrary to the claim made in the article.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
What degree are you?



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Paine reached his (erroneous) conclusions after having read some anti-Masonic materials. He seemed to have honestly believed that Freemasonry was some sort of Druidism.

Paine, who was extremely critical of Christianity, is said to have considered becoming a Mason himself until he learned that the Druid stuff was a hoax, and that the Bible (which he detested) is considered the Great Light of Masonry.

You can read Paine's "Origin of Freemasonry" here:

www.deism.com...

and Part 2:

www.deism.com...

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Masonic Light]



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Sorry if I seem somewhat sarcastic, but I'll be damned if every jot, tittle, trivet and scuppin of Freemasonry hasn't been discussed about ten thousand times in these forums already.

I'm pretty sure I've seen posts explaining everything from the culinary preferences of Albert Pike to the prescribed order in which Masons are required to put their pants on (interestingly, it's "left-leg, right-leg", although the Solomonic ritual is the reverse).

Truly, I don't mean to come across the wrong way, but damn.



Well its quite easy , start a thread on something YOU are interested in ?



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Bondi:
It is a little difficult to state whether Freemasonry is a religion due to the higher degrees.


Religion is wherever you decide to search for it. It is a part of who and what you are.

If you decide to take it with you on a Masonic journey, I belive that would be a mistake.

As soon as you allow this is the 'True religion' to enter into the Masonic Lodge, in my opinion that is when you will announce the downfall of Freemasonry. But this is not for me to dictate, it is for you to experience.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by billmcelligott


Bondi:
It is a little difficult to state whether Freemasonry is a religion due to the higher degrees.


Religion is wherever you decide to search for it. It is a part of who and what you are.

If you decide to take it with you on a Masonic journey, I belive that would be a mistake.

As soon as you allow this is the 'True religion' to enter into the Masonic Lodge, in my opinion that is when you will announce the downfall of Freemasonry. But this is not for me to dictate, it is for you to experience.




Well said Bill.
Although Freemasonry is not a religion there is a lot of religion in Freemasonry. The religion that is in Freemasonry is not specified or dictated, therefore it is your own religion whether it be Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hare Krishna or even Paganism it is yours and yours alone and Freemasonry does not and will not determine to what or to whom you pray, worship.
So again there is a lot of religion in Freemasonry, but Freemasonry in of itself is by no means a religion.



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The early secret society were homosexual groups, that is why they were secret.

There is nothing mythical about the mason or Ma Son (ghost or spirit son). They usually mimick traditional churches with their rituals and secret hand shakes and codes.

Just kids playing in tree forts.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Justanotherperson]



posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justanotherperson
The early secret society were homosexual groups, that is why they were secret.

There is nothing mythical about the mason or Ma Son (ghost or spirit son). They usually mimick traditional churches with their rituals and secret hand shakes and codes.

Just kids playing in tree forts.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Justanotherperson]


Yes and I am a Brian Surgeon. I know nothing about Brains but if you wish I can remove yours and make it work better.

Where do you Guys get this stuff. You have no supporting evidence, no reference and we are back at those who are not telling those who are.

Anyway If I want to play , why should it bother you.



posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with you playing? Who cares if you are part of the wooly buffalo or masons. Just the same.




top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join