It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant-based Probiotics - Making Your Own Sauerkraut

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Have you seen this video:

KeyBiotics

I watched nearly all of that and was interested to learn a few things, but as it is nothing more than an elaborate sales pitch for their own brand of probiotics, I am saddened.

towards the end it just reeked of the very things he was talking about at the start... how to cash in on changing times.

I'll stick to fermented foods and already available probiotics. no need for a sales pitch. what a shame, because the information was well presented. but this will turn many people off.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I bought Sandor Katz's second book last year and I grew and fermented my own pickles, oh they were soo good! I also found that since eating more pro biotic stuff I eat less sugar and dont crave it.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

I totally agree with you but the other aspects are spot on and in my research after the first time I saw the video, no where else does a better job.
I should have put a disclaimer but as I wrote earlier I knew most on here would see through it.
I'm doing the same as you, f# the supplements, natural is the way to go!

Thanks for your link.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
- Placing a full cabbage leaf (folded to fit inside the jar), pushing down on it firmly until the liquid fills overtop of the leaf, and then placing some kind of clean weight on top of it (to hold the leaf submerged - I use a small flat rock) will ensure that all of your shredded/chopped veggies stay submerged in the liquid.

I never thought of a rock! I've been bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out how to hold that cabbage leaf down! SO a rock is of the proper material and doesn't interfere with the fermentation like metal or plastic would... I suppose it's like ceramic, right?

I used Himalayan sea salt. It's what we use for everything, so we have plenty on hand.

Thanks for all the tips. I've read about most of them in my research and most of that is in the links I posted. The rock is a genius idea! Thanks!

originally posted by: sn0rch
what a shame, because the information was well presented. but this will turn many people off.

I certainly didn't let the ad turn me off. I turned IT off! LOL The info is invaluable!
edit on 9/1/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Heh, yup.... a face full of sauerkraut is not fun.

When my girlfriend was massaging the kimchi in the tupperwear container, she accidentally lobbed a piece of it in my eye with a flick of her hand. Ouch. A couple drops of milk in my eye later and I was alright, though.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have tasted my first batch! It's crunchy and delicious, but I'm letting the other jar ferment and soften some more. In the meantime, I made another batch. Cabbage, garlic, red onion and jalapeno! OMG! It smells so good! I got some glass weights (couldn't find a good rock) and they work great! Can't wait to taste this second concoction!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: ProspectPhilosopher

Do you make your own Kimchi? I've never tasted it. I would imagine you could add heat to sauerkraut by adding a jalapeno or other type of pepper or even crushed red pepper. Hmmm... I'm getting all kinds of ideas!

Great thread, S&F!

Just one note about adding spices such as garlic, onions and peppers to fermented vegetables; if the purpose of making the fermented vegetables is to grow bacteria (probiotics), then keep in mind that some spices are actually anti-bacterial.

Garlic, onion, allspice and oregano, for example, were found to be the best all-around bacteria killers (they kill everything), followed by thyme, cinnamon, tarragon and cumin (any of which kill up to 80 percent of bacteria). Capsicums, including chilies and other hot peppers, are in the middle of the antimicrobial pack (killing or inhibiting up to 75 percent of bacteria), while pepper of the white or black variety inhibits 25 percent of bacteria, as do ginger, anise seed, celery seed and the juices of lemons and limes.

Link

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Chronon

Thanks for the info! I have added garlic to the second batch, but since I'm taking a very good probiotic, I'm not too concerned about that for this batch. I will remember that, though!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join