It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pics from my recent trip to India: Ladakh and Kashmir

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Lazy sunday, was reviewing some pics I took with an old Minolta SRT 101 and my phone on my recent trip to India, mainly Kashmir and Ladakh.
Just thought of sharing some of my faves.

Amateur photographer here.

One of the monkeys that stole my hanged washed laundry, here seen waiting outside my door, they are vicious little rascals!
Uttarakhand

Nubra Valley, Ladakh. Amazing place with breathtaking scenery, part of the ancient Silk Road.

Nubra Valley

In order to get to Nubra Valley, one has to cross Khardungla pass, at around 18000 feet, one of the highest motorable passes in the world.

Ladakhi landscape.

Camel riding in Nubra Valley.

Girl spinning prayer wheel, Leh

Night of the July 'super moon', ruined by this permanent cloud obstructing it. The best of my many shots of night photography with the Minolta, unfortunately I went for the cheapest and lightest tripod which shook if you blew on it, lol

In Leh, I attended part of the Kalachakra event, hosted by the Dalai Lama. (Hundreds of thousands of people, a stark contrast to the emptiness of the nearby landscape.) Unfortunately I didn't have a zoom lens to get a good close up during the teachings. This was the closest I got to him as he was leaving the premises.
Also I said I attended part of the event because I got some pretty bad food poisoning after eating out one night. Exactly on the days the Dalai Lama gave the core teachings. Oh well, I guess there is something to be learned there, as Buddhism teaches. lol

Monks at the Kalachakra.

Macro shot of local flower, very proud of this, my first attempt at macro with a film camera!

Leh, local sheep snooping around.

Hope that sheep doesn't end up in this place. One of the tiny butcher shops in the markets of Leh.

Don't remember which of the countless giant Buddha statues I saw this one is.

Traditional door at a Buddhist monastery.

Riding the bus the Indian way. On top of it.

One of the royal gardens in Srinagar, Kashmir, were the locals go and refresh on hot summer days.

Dal Lake, Srinagar. I stayed at one of the many boathouses, all serving as accommodation for tourists.

Dal Lake.

More Dal Lake.

Himalayan mountains outside Srinagar.

Edited picture of the Lotus Temple, Delhi.
My last day in India. I was feeling gloomy, monsoons were approaching, maybe that's why I did this.

Lotus Temple.

What a trip. It was definitely great to get away from the chaos and grind of daily life.
Except when I found myself in the chaos of the streets of Delhi, or in any trafficked road in India, for that matter, lol.

Hope you enjoyed,

Thanks for watching.

Om Mani Padme Om
edit on 31/8/14 by athousandlives because: (no reason given)

edit on 31/8/14 by athousandlives because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Awesome!!!

You're very lucky

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Beautiful pics.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Wow that looks like some nice scenery. Must have been a great trip.a reply to: athousandlives

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Some of those photos were just breath taking! Beautiful!!!!!!! You must have had an amazing time there! Thanks for sharing with us!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Fantastic and fascinating! I love the Buddhist monastery doors...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
What a wonderful adventure you had! I would love to listen to the Dalai Lama speak and be in his audience. I watched him TV years ago during a interview and fell in love with his spirit, humor and heart. Sorry food poisoning interrupted that outing for you.

Your pictures are just beautiful the one with the Royal Garden reminds me of a scene from "The life of Pi" I wonder if it was used in the movie?

Again, thanks for sharing these with us.

SnF

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Awesome pictures.

Great you didnt post the ones where it shows them sharing their milk with the rats. I thank you for that... very... hollywoodesque!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Thank you from sharing your photos!

Which ones are film, if you don't mind me asking? They are really great photos, you've got a good eye!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Most of them are from the film camera except the following which were from my phone: 4th to 6th ones, the monks, the top of bus one and the last two of the lotus temple.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Much thanks for sharing your trip.
Buddha's, with the size and detail, must be amazing to see in person. The snooping sheep picture, is the woman behind a door(above the sheep) or other? Interesting!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
yeah the woman is behind a short door. I walked every day past that street, and there was that sheep wondering around looking for leftovers from the grocers

top topics

join