It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sad tale of little Ashya King.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This is front page news in the UK.

Ashya has a brain tumor and was being treated at Southampton General Hospital and his parents took him out because they wanted him to be treated with proton beam therapy which they were told would not do any good for him.
They fled to spain and have now been found and Ashya has been taken to a Spanish childrens ward to continue his treatment.
His parents have now had an extradition order on them to return to the UK.
Here is the Fathers video explaining why he took his child away.

Now Iam not going to pick any side because it is sad for all around.
So thoughts anyone? I just hope Ashya gets better.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 31-8-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I think the reaction has been way OTT from the police & Interpol.... the parents are the legal guardians and have every right to move him from a hospital if they choose to.

BUT I can see why the authorities were concerned and I suppose they had to locate the boy and see if he was OK.
Now they know he is and appears much better, I'm not sure they need to go after the parents.
Southampton Gneral is not a great hospital and has been on a couple of lists of crap hospitals over the last few years.

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Plus more lists... so perhaps he's better off in Malaga (I think that's where it was?)

I remember getting into a debate on here about whether you should tattoo you kid and there were some Americans who believed they "owned" their child and could do whatever they wanted including Tattooing their 5 year olds face and it had nothing to do with the authorities and they had no right interfering with the family.

I do not agree with that mentality at all and believe if a child is at serious risk of harm or neglect or serious bad parenting, then the authorities must intervene and if necessary, the child should be taken from them.

I'm not sure that is the case with this family and young boy as it appears the parents didnt harm the child or place him in danger and just simply exercised their right as parents to move him and take him where they wanted.
However, they didn't exactly do it in the best, most responsible way.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this.
edit on 31/8/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I just read about this on the news.
poor child.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I think how it was reported also which was wrong.
When it first happened they reported that the parents were Jehovers witnesses and that was dropped sharpish.
I hope the parents do not get done for kidnapping or neglect because in their view they have done the right thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: blupblup

I think how it was reported also which was wrong.
When it first happened they reported that the parents were Jehovers witnesses and that was dropped sharpish.
I hope the parents do not get done for kidnapping or neglect because in their view they have done the right thing.

I never heard the Jehovah's Witness thing?
Just that they took him without telling and it was spun by the press as if they abducted him and that he will die any minute if he's not in that exact hospital etc etc.

He needed a food pump or something? But how do they know the parents didn't have all of his proper equipment?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
As a singular entity, it's a very sad story.

It does however open up a huge snake pit regarding freedom and human rights doesn't it...

When are we exactly a "free" human to do as we will and when does the state "own" you?

The start point from the Police and obviously government is that you belong to them, it is not up to you to choose where and when you travel or where you choose treatment. In fact what they are essentially saying (in a roundabout way) is that they are looking at it being a criminal offense for not taking treatment.

Ok, so the child has no choice but isn't it up to the parents? It's not like they are refusing their child treatment, they just chose to go elsewhere for it and now the state sees them as criminals and chases them halfway around the world!!

This is wrong on so many levels.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I was surprised at this story because of the personal side to it. I didn't know that hospitals had the right to dictate what treatment one received and it appears that the parents wanted another type of treatment and who knows the outcome?

It isn't a case of taking sides on this, but the police and interpol involvement seems way over the top. Apparently the parents face a warrant for their return to the UK but I doubt they will wish to leave without their son and if he gets the treatment of their choice in Malaga etc then it is their choice. But its the State versus the parents rights that bothered me with this terribly sick little boy. Any parent could have found their way down this terrible road.

I thought one of the things about the NHS was that today, if we believe the politicians, we have choices but from this it appears we don't.

I wish the parents and sick little boy a good outcome in spain.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I haven't really followed this story since it broke, but as a parent myself and one who has butt heads with medical professionals on more than one occasion, my vote is with the parents.

As wonderful as it is having a health service which is free at the point of entry, it is not without its problems, currently the GP system is in my opinion in crisis.

You cannot see a named GP any longer, getting an appointment is like russian roulette and the calibre of the doctor is questionable at best.

It becomes very easy to understand why they might want to take charge of their childs options, because as a parent you would never forgive yourself if you just blindly followed advice given, simply because they are in a named position.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The fact that the news even deals with such an insignificant story shows how 'brain-dead' our society is!

No pun intended!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

The fact that the news even deals with such an insignificant story shows how 'brain-dead' our society is!

No pun intended!

It's really quite serious. You've got two sides to this; doctors who would see trying to cure such a serious problem as a personal challenge and want to try their favorite experimental regime. And parents who want to get the best treatment for their child.

This extends to care homes contacting the police when concerned relatives take a loved one out of the home to stay with them. The care home gets paid by the local council based on how many "clients" they have, so they get quite clingy with their customers.

With these type of bureaucracies, they will go to the ends of the earth to get what the want.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
THE "AUTHORITIES" REALY NEED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE ......

In this case of parents who obviously care for and only want the
best for their child, are arrested and separated from him which
in its self must be traumatic for the very sick child the "authorities"
I believe very much over reacted

And the other side of the same coin>>>>

The very same "authorities" who knew about and had evidence of
abuse towards children over a period of 10 years or so ignored
and hid the evidence doing nothing about it ........

Social services, Child welfare, Police, M.P's and all others concerned
need to hang their heads in shame, and all responsible should not
be allowed to resign and take another job in the same field..... They
should ALL be SACKED.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So his parents are being detained in jail while a judge waits for all of the information, none of the family are allowed to see the little boy either, his brothers and sisters etc.
This story seems very bizarre.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All's well that ends well in this case, I think. The parents may get some bother from the police and the media but I don't think anyone's going to jail. The kid is probably going to get whatever treatment they want now, and they'll get the money to pay for it too, if necessary; the media will see to that, I hope. The police will look a bit silly and they'll resent it, but they probably won't be able to do more than create difficulties. Ruffled feathers all round, but no serious damage.

And you have to consider that it mightn't have ended this well without the police manhunt.

top topics

join