It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone gone through the adoption process in the UK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I have finally decided to adopt a child or at least try to.
I have my first information session next week and Iam a little worried because Iam a single man, it does say it doesn't matter but I dunno.
I have been thinking about it for about a year when our council did a big campaign to get more kids adopted and I thought I can help some little fella grow up and be a decent dude.
So has anyone adopted any child in the UK and have you got any tips for me?.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I have no clue, but had to post and tell you that I admire what you are trying to do. Seriously.

I hope that you can do this and you don't have a problem along the way. As it stands (in the US) sometimes I think they make it almost impossible for you to adopt. Take a single father and it would be almost completely out of the question. I sincerely hope that you don't run into that issue in the UK.

I think that there are so many unwanted, abandoned children that people should be able to adopt a lot easier. I think growing up with a single father who loved you more than anything is far more preferrable than allowing that child to stay in the system until they age out just to keep an unmarried man from adopting.

I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed for you BM. Just looking at how thorough you are bathing that cat, let's me know you'd be an awesome dad.

In all seriousness... I think you would be an awesome dad (from all that I've seen for the last few years). It says a lot about your character that you have so much love to give, that you would be happy to give it to a child that may have never known it if not for you.
edit on 8/31/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I was told by a social worker that it used to be the same here in the UK If you were a single bloke but she said they are that stretched to the point of breaking point they have made the process easier.
If I find out I can not adopt for some reason Iam looking into fostering as a career change.
Oh and shucks
Cheers.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Good for you! From what I know of you on ATS you’re an ideal candidate, you have the right attitude and don’t stand for any nonsense (bearing in mind most of the children have lots of behavioural problems).

Being a single man won’t be a problem I don’t think. A single friend of mine fosters and is looking to permanently adopt. The only advice I can give you is to just be VERY patient because it’s a long, drawn out process and be prepared to have your whole lifestyle placed under a microscope.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Havent adopted in uk .. mine were vietnam war orphans ( though they seemed to choose me as they just showed up and stuck around .. ) the other two fukushima orphans ( same thing they both stayed close after found them while assisting there after the earthquake ) ..

Its a big responsibility to take on and well worth it ..

Think its great that youre going to try adopting theres alot of kids who need a good home and guidance ..
It will probably be bit harder as your single they tend to look bit more closely at background .. financial stability .. living conditions in your home .. from what seen of your posts here and can see of your character from them think you should be approved with no problems ..

just remember be patient , take time to explain things to the child ( yes it will have moments that give you grey hair ) spend as much time as you can with the child and always encourage them ..

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes for you and the child .
edit on 31/8/14 by Expat888 because: typo .. grr ..

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Cheers for your support all
I have been thinking a lot and I think I will try and help a child with LD, Iam in the field now of looking after people with learning disabilities with challenging behavior and many were not looked after very well when they were kids so I may inquire If I can adopt a little lad with autism or another LD, I really think I can help
Cheers again.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Btw do you live in Japan?.
I always wanted to go there.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Still have house in japan will be stay there for next few years as youngest enrolled in school there .. grew up in japan as after parents got released from american internment camp after the war they returned to japan .. then after finished school went back to u.s and the military ended up with s.o.g .. over the years since been all over ..
You should visit japan one day though go in springtime as it most beautiful then .. winters gets very cold and snow .. summer it gets very hot .. theres alot to see and do in japan ..

It would be good trip for you and the child you adopt .. theres lots for kids to do and lots of cool toys for them ..

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I can't speak to adoption in the UK. I can only speak to my experience here in the USA.

Age matters. Believe it or not, a lot of government agencies will tell a married couple that they are 'too old' if they are over 35. The waiting list is very long. We ended up going overseas (Bolivia) to adopt so we didn't have to wait long. Just 9 months (like being pregnant).

When we adopted we were asked if we would take a special needs child but we said 'healthy' for our first one. We were going to be new parents and didn't want to get overwhelmed. Our daughter was considered 'healthy' by the adoption agency but she had some health issues.

I hope your adoption goes well. If it turns out that you are a foster parent instead then that's wonderful as well.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
My niece is adopted. It was good for her. It was good for everyone else.

Best of luck ... and may your experience be as rewarding.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
A few things i can remember been given as advice are

1. Find the local support groups as they'll be able to tell you who to talk to for each and every different problem
2. Make sure you have your own support network so if you need a few hours for something you can get it
3. Check the local schools to make sure they can handle the SEN's of the child
4. Ask what support is available as councils are under financial pressure so sometimes will 'forget' to mention you may be able to get cash/support
5. Don't give up, if they say no ask why and fix it and go back to them

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wish you all the best Honey! I am sure that adopting or fostering a child will be quite rewarding and your life will be filled with love and joy.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I enquired a couple of years ago - I was told I was too old and 'unsuitable'.
My daughter disagrees but nothing I can do about it.

Utmost respect for you for even contemplating doing it - I'm sure you'd be a great parent.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

On a lighter note, as long as you don't vote for UKIP!

Just read in the paper today that foster parents living in Rotherham

who wished to adopt the children, had the children taken from them

because it was found out they supported UKIP and the three children

concerned were of mixed race!!

Beggars belief ......

new topics

top topics

join