It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostage crisis at US consulate - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Breaking news...

ATTACKERS have killed four guards and taken 18 local staff hostage at the US mission in the port city of Jeddah on Saudi Arabia's west coast.

Attackers stormed the consulate, setting the building alight and exchanging fire with security forces.

American officials said there were no reports of US casualties, but it was not immediately clear if others were hurt.

The witnesses said the car exploded in front of the consulate, and ambulances were seen rushing to the scene.

Al-Arabiya satellite television reported four attackers tried to storm the compound in a car, but that the car exploded in front instead.

Reuters said the attackers exchanged fire with security forces and reported a Western executive, quoting officials inside the building, saying attackers infiltrated the complex and threw hand grenades.

"Several men breached US and Saudi security and lobbed one or several grenades at the building," he said.

US Embassy spokeswoman Carol Kalin, in Riyadh, said there were no reports of American casualties.

"We can confirm there has been an attack on the consulate," Ms Kalin said. "No reports of any American casualties. The incident is still in progress with Saudi emergency forces securing the compound."

One witness near the scene said smoke was rising from the area and police were keeping cars and traffic from the area.

Saudi officials, who have been battling a wave of al-Qaeda violence against foreigners since May last year, could not immediately comment on the attack.

Flames could be seen coming from the building and two heavy plumes of smoke rose into the sky. Hundreds of security forces sealed off the area. Police around the building sheltered behind their cars.

Around 170 people, including foreigners, security forces and militants have been killed in attacks and clashes since the first suicide bombings in Riyadh 18 months ago.

"As a precaution, we closed our embassy in Riyadh and consulate in Dhahran to the public," Ms Kalin said.

Khaled al-Maeena, editor of Arab News in Jiddah, also said thick smoke was visible from the consulate area and helicopters were flying overhead.

Four men apparently tried to enter the compound, Mr al-Maeena said. They apparently exploded a car in front of the gate. "The magnitude of this assault on the consulate has taken all Jeddah residents by surprise," he said.

The consulate is located just a half-mile from the city's Red Sea coastal road.

Security around the consulate has been extremely tight since last year's series of bombings against targets housing foreigners.

The Associated Press

link

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Speculation of an Al-puka attack? There have been attackes like this going on for a while now there. Kind of makes you wonder if this is all they have left. The article says several men, but never gives an estimate. 6, 15, how many are several?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
its still on going i really dont think a media news person is going to run around the consulate and count the number of terrorists

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Since hostage takers these days tend to kill more hostages the longer they live, the optimal strategy for dealing with them is to kill them as rapidly and reflexively as possible. There are simply no numbers in favor of negotiation anymore.

In light of all the practice they are getting these days, I imagine the Saudi security forces are already aware of this statistic, and are acting accordingly.

Here's hoping the terrorists kill as few people as possible in exchange for their own lives which they value so cheaply.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I gathered from the report that its already over. They never stated either way. They also said that ambulances were on the scene. We will know the numbers soon enough. One thing I found odd about the report was the repetative mentioning of no US casualties. I Think it was mentioned like 3 or 4 times in a 500 word news report.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
hey Kidfinger the magical word is propaganda, usa loves to use it alot but when other countries do, usa likes to make them out to be bull#, i find it very hard that a usa citizen didnt die...

Another reason why their repeating is because doesnt create fear...

new topics

top topics

join