It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitler comparisons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is my second rant in 24h, sadly.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM OVERUSING HITLER COMPARISONS

Over the last months, especially the last weeks, I feel this has been growing and growing. There are people here who constantly have to use Hitler as a benchmark for everything.

Be it:
police checkpoints -> "like in nazi-germany"
media censor -> "like in nazi-germany"
gun laws -> "like in nazi-germany"
schooling issues -> "like in nazi-germany"

and so much more.

Most (not all) people who post such sentences, and I look at this very close because it touches me, would not even be able to point out Germany on a map, let alone point out more then a few keywords like "gas-chamber" or "jew-holocaust".The ignorance and idiocy is overwhelming. Yes, there are valid examples and parallels to draw. Yes, most people can see by them but is it necessary to compare Putin/Obama/whatever situation constantly with nazi-germany and Hitler as a whole?

By doing this, sloppy using of it constantly, it will loose its meaning and wont be an argument when it really could wake up people to the current situation. It´s like crying wolf when there is a little puppy. Everybody will smile at it and wont be sensitive when the real wolf knocks on your door.

See, I´m German. We get our history shoved down our throats almost weekly after reaching the 6./7. grade and history classes start. We were informed extensively about the mistakes our ancestors did. We are bleeding for what has happened until now. We pay for these mistakes to this day, for example giving money to Israel for compensation, while nobody griefs about all the roman, disabled, and other "smaller minorities" that happen to make up more than half the count that got slaughtered in KZ and prisons.

We can´t hear it anymore. It happened and it must not allowed to happen again! History will repeat it self if we don´t learn from it. But to learn from it, remembering is not enough! Learning is not only remembering, learning is COMPREHENDING. Only CHANGE is what will stop history repeating itself!

Comparing Putin or Obama to Hitler is insane. Yes they may use the same tools, such as media censor and gun confiscation, but show me one country(government) that does not use one of these tactics in a way or another.

Don´t use Hitler constantly and blindly to get your point across, instead, use genuine words to explain. This way, everybody gets the meaning, too. Think about it please. Nothing will change with your countless Hitler examples because you just give a word and everybody can pick and figure how it´s meant.

If you really feel forced to use this example and draw parallels, do it for Godsake. But if you do, please make sure you know what you are talking about and use it wise. If you have to. Lately, I saw to many people that clearly had no clue.

Thank you for your time.

edit on 30-8-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hey dude,

it's more like nazi germany 1933. The gas chambers hit max capacity 1943, 44.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
would it please you if people used the word "fascist"?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut
Its not about pleasing me and it saddens me that the first two answers are like this, really. Its almost 3am here and I will go sleeping now.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
ok. ill just say this, the Zionists in Israel are more than deserving of the title 'nazi' , funny how they learnt and have put in action so much of their ancestors supposed tormentors tactics

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
OK before this gets totally off the mark can I take a stab at this?

The OP is German. My guess is that he didn't have anything to do with WW2. It was a bitch for Germany. I may be reaching here but the vibe I'm getting is the same as white folks in North America. "Hey, I didn't own slaves...."

Does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyingdutchman2112
Hey dude,

it's more like nazi germany 1933. The gas chambers hit max capacity 1943, 44.

Actually, NAZI Germany 1933 was a hell of a lot worse then things are here and now... I have to agree with the OP on this one.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thanks to our educational system, I would think that the old Germany is the only tyranny, or despotism, we know anything about. Even that is sketchy at best. So when we look at excessive government control we can't compare it to any other 20th century barbaric despotism.

Russia either under Stalin or before the wall came down. China with it's cultural revolution, North Korea, Pol Pot in Cambodia, on and on. We don't learn from them and we don't talk about them, because we don't learn aboutthem.

Hitler was in and out in twelve years. What do we see from countries that build an entire state apparatus on repression and control over decades? We don't see, we're not shown. Only Germany is safe to attack.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

At the risk of a one line post
....what?

ETA: The first part I get. It's the second part that leaves me going.....

edit on 30-8-2014 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Dear Intrepid,

Have pity on an old man who has barely any faculties left.

The OP stressed "Please refrain from overusing Hitler comparisons."

I was saying that Americans aren't taught about other repressive and murderous governments, so Hitler is the only comparison we know how to make.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Yeah. Got it. Thanks. You explained it to ANOTHER old man.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

aren't taught about other repressive and murderous governments, so Hitler is the only comparison we know how to make.

With respect,
Charles1952

And another old man says WOW! we agree on something

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Dear VoidHawk,

That's what old men are for. We've taken life's tests and we know the answers. Now it's just getting the young ones to shut up and listen. I know it hurts their pride, but the smart ones listen.

I might have considered China's cultural revolution of the 1960s and '70s to be a closer comparison to America's situation.

its stated goal was to enforce communism in the country by removing capitalist, traditional and cultural elements from Chinese society, and to impose Maoist orthodoxy within the Party.

Sure, we're not killing people off yet, but we're certainly weakening the power of the middle class and professionals like doctors. University professors have already been captured, Capitalism is being attacked daily, and religion (which is both cultural and traditional) is under fire. If groups don't support Obama orthodoxy, they get visited by the IRS.

The Red Guards may be the "Civilian Army" Obama was talking about starting, which would be as powerful as our traditional military. Maybe rioting mobs would have a role to play in it, too.

Because we're not killing "undesirables" it may take longer in the US, but we'll never recognize it, because no one has ever shown us how it worked in the real world before.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Are people seriously not getting the OP though? Not getting his point?

That's a worry.

But OP, while I sympathise with you, eventually, the word will be used in a manner far removed from what it implies to those who are affected most by it.

We call people who damage public/private property, Vandals, but they are far removed from the ancient Germanic tribe.
We call people who act thuggish and brutal ,Barbarians, and they are not someone who simply doesn't speak Greek.
We call people who are lumbering and base, Neanderthal, but they are certainly not a reflection of an extinct species of human.

In time, perhaps even now, people will use the word nazi to describe something that they find oppressive or conveys the idea of someone or some group acting in a certain way.

None of it should detract from the way Nazis historically were however. Or are today, with some barbaric, neanderthal vandals, with bald heads.
edit on 30-8-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Perhaps I'm not getting his point, although I thought I was.

I mean this seriously, and with no animosity, could you show me where I went wrong? My post said:

The OP stressed "Please refrain from overusing Hitler comparisons."

I was saying that Americans aren't taught about other repressive and murderous governments, so Hitler is the only comparison we know how to make.

I'd appreciate your help in clearing up my thinking.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
In a totally unrelated THREAD from earlier today, a very cool song was discussed. Sadly, the thread bombed as often happens.

The point I'm getting at is the song contains the most intense and wonderful speech. I'm trying to get my head around the full meaning (cause I'm a dumb rrrr's).
If you guys would please listen to the song, that would be ace, it's intense, confronting on many levels. Quite extreme and beautiful and tormenting all at the same time.

I've still not made my point I see. Anyhoo, it contained a quote which Charlie Chaplain portraying a different version of Hitler. It's made me uneasy all day, I need a wise head to head me understand it's full meanings.

It sweeps me up with it's power, I want peace, but he's kind of suggesting war... hmmm. HELP!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
this thread is like nazi germany.
telling us what we shouldn't say

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Its pretty simple people parrot what they hear on tv, there is nothing in this day and age comparable to nazi germany, it shames the vicims memories and is only used as a last resort by people that have a certain agenda.

edit on 31-8-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Good points.
It think you forgot for example the Roman Empire, I can only tell this from my side, we were teached about that, too.
Not learning about plenty other similar cases in school is one thing, simply staying with that is the fault of one self when they need to make comparisions and only have one case to talk about. We did not learn about the americans brutally casing down and finally nearly extinct a whole genepool (the indians). Could be a the-winner-writes-the-history-issue. So I ask myself, how much are the people of USA aware of their own genocide?

a reply to: sn0rch
Good that you brought that up! Speech is changing constantly, we saw this the last two decades with the internet generation. I feel you know this but I want to point it out to the others: This issue is way fresher and comparing the little problems we face today with NAZIs or NAZI-Germany, is simply exaggerating and somehow a punch into the face of all the people that lived back then and eventually lost their lives. It´s still fresh and people are still living who lost loved ones.

a reply to: intrepid
Partly. It´s not all about "I can´t hear it anymore". That just adds to the situation. Whats sad is that most people do not have a slight clue how it was back then but they can´t hold back saying: "its like nazi germany".

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Its pretty simple people parrot what they hear on tv, there is nothing in this day and age comparable to nazi germany, it shames the vicims memories and is only used as a last resort by people that have a certain agenda.

You hit the head on the head with this one! Just look at the poster above you, using exact the same tactic:

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
this thread is like nazi germany.
telling us what we shouldn't say

You are a poor soul, if you can´t differ between the words "please" and "must", its your fault all alone. The last paragraph I wrote was completely dismissed by you. BRAVO! It just shows that you did not really tried to understand. All you want is attack.
And what makes you even poorer is that you have to use the tactics, I politely ask to not use, on me in this thread. If you think that´s funny internet sarcasm, grow up already! Sadly the internet changed to a place where "cool rudeness" is vowed and considered clever and smart. So, if you would have some arguments, we could discuss them instead of making two liners, shaped for the light minded.

I see, some got what I tried to say, some just don´t want to get it and see it as an attack at their rights.
There is a word for such people but I cant remember it.

edit on 31-8-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2014 by verschickter because: spelling

edit on 31-8-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
You got my point and you came up with a good explanation why it is the way it is, partly.

<<   2 >>

join