It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous Giant Panda "Fakes" Pregnancy to Improve Quality of Life (Phantom Pregnancy)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is my first post, so I am taking it slowly... I found this while looking at "Science" news, however, it is probably better suited for this forum. Not sure if I should have used the "content from external site" instead of "content from news site". Thanks for your patience!

Officials called off the live broadcast of a giant panda giving birth because, as it turns out, she wasn't actually pregnant.

Ai Hin, a 6-year-old giant panda living at the Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Research Center in China, had exhibited signs of pregnancy for two months. But the center realized she actually had a "phantom pregnancy," state news agency Xinhua reported.

The life of a pregnant giant panda living in captivity sounds pretty sweet, relatively speaking. She gets her own suite loaded with amenities such as air-conditioning, around-the-clock care and a serious supply of buns, fruit and bamboo. According to Xinhua, pandas with phantom pregnancies sometimes notice the nicer set-up that comes with initial signs of pregnancy and carry on with the charade.

"So some clever pandas have used this to their advantage to improve their quality of life," panda expert Wu Kongju told Xinhua.

I think this is a good idea for women of all species to get special treatment!

Li nk
edit on 8302014 by seattlerat because: i have trouble spilling

edit on 8302014 by seattlerat because: Decide to change Topic title for clarity

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

phantom pregnancy has nothing to do with what´s stated in the title of this. Who decided that the panda now knows it´s not pregnant "anymore". And what do they define as charade? I don´t believe this, sure animals are not dumb and it could be but I see no real evidence for this, other then some panda expert Wu Kongju believes in this.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Typical women. Most women expect some extra treatment when they are pregnant, even if they think they are pregnant without testing to see if they are.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Hm. In my opinion they should. I mean there is a growing life so it makes two lifes. Why not double up the efforts for her, I mean, two lives, double the effort. It makes sense. When it comes to entitlement that some 4 week pregnant women express, well, I´m with you. Because they are not that handicapped at this moment to get the extra sausages a 6 month pregnant should get. Hard to explain somehow.

To clarify, here is a example:

Your´re waiting in line, let´s say at a governmental institution to do or get whatever. I gladly would give that visible pregnant women my place in line and go back at the end. No problem. If some lady would speak to me, give me your place because (please)/can we swap, I´m pregnant, and she clearly shows no signs, her life can´t be that hard I would tell her to be ashamed to use this as an excuse so early where she clearly has no physical problems to face yet, like long standing or a hurting back.
edit on 30-8-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

It seems like I was always trying to please my wife when she was pregnant, yet never could accomplish it. The depression they get after having the baby is because they realize their spouse isn't going to keep treating them like a queen anymore.
Attention is shifted to the kid.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I know what you mean, I´ve gone trough this two times

However, I accept their messed up chemical system and the fact that she has it hard enough already. So I swallow it down.
I´m not sure if your example of the course can be accepted as universal because there also comes the burden of being responsible for a life. What differs us men from women is that we also have this burden but the new life did not grew in us.

But let´s get back to topic to not derail our new members first effort on a thread!
Maybe some others might chime into this discussion or at least give their thoughts.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Thanks for your reply... I chose to post this in General Chit Chat instead of a Science forum because of the speculative nature of the story. I probably should have used more discretion in naming the topic- sorry.

I do not think it is a stretch to imagine a high-order mammal such as a Giant Panda of being capable of spontaneously exhibiting behavior that would improve it's life. It is more likely that hormonal changes are the biggest factor, but I thought this was interesting, nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

For sure there is the possibility. I will tell you a story about our mali (beligan shepherd).
She loves to lick yoghurt cans clean and we learned her to come to us with the clean can and then we would go to the room where the recycle bin for plastic is and she will drop it in there all alone. She will do it every time but I dare you to not give her a treat. Because she will plunder the bin silently afterwards and hide the plastic items anywhere just to come back to you with them hours or even days later expecting you to give her the treat already. Edit: As far as simply closing the door to the room, nope she knows how to open doors and even closes them sometimes after she did the mission. Locking them would work, but we don´t want to frustrate her ;-)

She also ninjas those stretchy hair bands out of girl/women hair silently just to give it back after you gave her a treat.

So I know what certain animals are capable of but as said, I´m skeptical about the pregnancy faking because this would take it to a whole new step.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just goes to show that one will get more of what one subsidizes.

new topics

top topics

join