It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant spider stories

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
a reply to: Ironclad2000

great i googled Golden Orb weaving spider, i think im going to have nightmares about those.

I mean one, get the stick/broom and whack it, but what if theres 50 of them coming at you.

/me shivers

Another fun fact about Golden Orbs and most of the rest of the Australian Orb spiders is that they do tend to live in large colonies...lol

Makes working/living in some bushland areas very tricky. Luckily, they aren't deadly poisonous, however they do sting like hell and cause a fever, vomiting, swelling, putrefaction around the bite (with some species) and severe cramps.

I spend a lot of time in the bush "working as a wildland firefighter during he summers". I have had these things dropping out of trees during bush fires right into the fire vehicle or on to me. And I have had to make my way through huge webs during black-out op's and mop-up sometimes getting them on me in the process.

Pitfall of the job I suppose and I generally just get on with the job, but I am a complete arachnophobic most other times....lol

edit on 2-9-2014 by Ironclad2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
True store: A few months ago, I woke up with a small sore on my head. Almost a pin prick type thing. Didn't think anything of it really. The next few days progressed from a red forehead to swelling to my eyes starting to droop and close. I was on steroids and anti-inflammatories (which made me sick) for over a week and you can still see a shadow on my head where the spider bite (we are assuming) occurred.

With that said...spiders are amazing creatures that do a lot of good for humanity. Their webs are an interesting scientific miracle that we may harness for many things and they are generally a helpful species.

But in the end, they need to be destroyed if they invade our space!!! I mean...WTF? Bite me on the head while I'm asleep and ruin a week of my life??? DEATH TO ALL SPIDERS!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Paying a visit to the toilets in the Glasshouse Mountains in Queensland, I looked up and saw this Huntsman on the beam directly above the cubicle. Far bigger than my hand, I honestly think my heart may have stopped for a second or two…. Had to stop ‘mid-flow’, sprint outside and finish off behind a bush

My sister-in-law, living in Australia for a long time now, was completely unfazed and went back in to get this picture for me, it would have been a cold day in hell before I was willing to go back in there....

I warned a few ladies entering the toilets about the Huntsman and most of them went behind the bush instead

The only living creatures I’m scared of are spiders! I would never kill one though. I've been known to get my fella out of bed to get rid of those big hairy ones which come up the plug-hole in the bath!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger
First thing I thought of when I read the title was this.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
A question that comes to mind @ times would be what are or could they be eating to sustain themselves in such depths that could keep them so large?

Large size could be associated with higher internal planet radiation levels towards planet core exposed to these hypothesized Creatures in the liquid ponds or cavernous atmosphere or something they would consume or possibly exposure to trapped and rising radiation and or ancient oxygen captured inside gas pockets within planet that these Creatures came in contact with or live within.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: paradisepurple
Paying a visit to the toilets in the Glasshouse Mountains in Queensland, I looked up and saw this Huntsman on the beam directly above the cubicle. Far bigger than my hand, I honestly think my heart may have stopped for a second or two…. Had to stop ‘mid-flow’, sprint outside and finish off behind a bush

My sister-in-law, living in Australia for a long time now, was completely unfazed and went back in to get this picture for me, it would have been a cold day in hell before I was willing to go back in there....

I warned a few ladies entering the toilets about the Huntsman and most of them went behind the bush instead

The only living creatures I’m scared of are spiders! I would never kill one though. I've been known to get my fella out of bed to get rid of those big hairy ones which come up the plug-hole in the bath!

Huntsman are pretty much harmless. Unless you piss them off...lol They only pack a bite with venom about the same pain and duration/effects as a bee sting. But some of the larger ones like the Brown Bush Huntsman have reeeealy large fangs and a lot of power behind them and can actually bruise you when they strike. The Brown Bush Huntsman is also the only really venomous of genus in Australia (but still won't kill).

The ones you need to look out for are the Funnel Web spiders. Not just the Sydney Funnel Web, there are 8 distinct Funnel Web species in Australia, from South east Qld, down through central and east NSW, across Vic and on into SA.

Of those eight species, four have the potential to kill (Sydney Funnel Web being one of the deadliest in the World).

I was recently bitten on the chest by a Male Funnel Web, while working in the bush in NSW. I was carrying a rotten log to a burn heap while doing manual fuel reduction in one of the national parks.

I was sick for a week (Males are much smaller and don't really pack enough venom to kill an adult human).

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Just some image's and story's for all of you that have no fear of spiders.
www.dailymail.co.uk...
There is an indiginous tribe, I can't remember exactly but I think new guinea who sleep with one eye open and rest on there right palm with there elbow on the ground.
Then again large spider's are a delicasy for some south american tribe's who tie there legs together with a little twine then put them in a leaf and carry them on there belt for a snack, when they set up camp they roast the spider in the leafe and it apparently taste's like unsalty crab meat.
It is ear wig's that get me.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

A short Youtube vid for all the Arachnophobes out there...

Enjoy...lol

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Ah Australia, where everything and it's brother is out to kill you.

How bad do you have to go?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Ah Australia, where everything and it's brother is out to kill you.

How bad do you have to go?

holy crap thats a big spider. nope.

nooooooooope. id be beating that with a bat. i dont care if its poisonous thats a real face hugger and can die in hell. and id do it from 6 feet away and even that would make me very uncomfortable a funnel web spider or black window is tiny and nasty but that thing, noooooooope.

actually somthing that big, i think id just open a window and shut the door and wait for it to leave

edit on b5353750 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Aww. He's just trying to pop a squat. Give him some reading material and he'll be on his way shortly

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

originally posted by: doorhandle

originally posted by: Biigs
what the hell possess people to approach a spider that big?

hit it with a 6 foot stick and nail it.

spiders freak me out i wouldnt be getting that close to any of them.

Or instead of killing a harmless living creature you could try a capture it and put it outside. Do you kill everything that scares you?

Finally somebody who sees things clearly....I am not alone. I will not kill any living thing unless I have to. I will walk around worms after the rain. I will catch and release all bugs that I can inside the house. I was not always this way it seems the older I get the more empathy I have for everything around me. I do live in a place where the bugs are not really dangerous and I think trying to catch a spider in Australia would be a bad idea.

I see things the same as you, I live in Australia and the will catch and release all spiders and bugs except white tails.

Had a bad experience with one and they can pack a punch if they bite you, similar symptoms as the brown recluse spider found in the US,
however in the recent years I had read that some studies were done and symptoms of white tail bite are up to debate, so I figure that a certain species of white tail could be have a toxic enough venom like a brown recluse to eat away the flesh around the bite and leave nasty scaring.

Catching and releasing spiders is a way to overcome my fear of spiders, I actually find them fascinating, Like vonclod said there are over 800 different species of Tarantula, some look amazing with metallic blue armor covering their abdomen.

I freak if a spider catches me of guard, when I spot them first depending what kind of spider it is I make a plan to catch and release unfortunately for white tails I find myself being discriminating and not even thinking about a plan, its just panic mode to find a sword or any other long object that could Hulk Smash the thing and like I said about The tarantula in the video when one fells threatened their actions will be out of character.

Dandy long leg spiders have free vacancy in any room of my home, when I shower and one comes down from the ceiling corner I try and warn him not to get too close or the water will wash him away, other types of spiders usually get a piece of paper to rest upon as I take them out side, huntsman spiders do panic me, they're quick, can have size but like Ironclad said there is only one or two kinds that have a venomous bite so I try catch them in cup or jar and take them out but white tails break the panic alarms and air raid sirens in me and a nuke goes off making sure it dies where it stands or withing a small radius of where it was spotted.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad2000

Dangerous or not, there was no way I was going to finish my leak with that beast above me! If it had jumped on me I swear I would have died on the spot...

You guys living in Australia, I salute you! Balls of steel

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Spiders in my area come in three varieties: the small ones I capture and put outside, the medium ones I squash with a newspaper, and big ones I have to kill with a sword. Why a sword? Because I don't own a gun and a newspaper puts me too damn close!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No mention yet of the camel spider found in Middle East. Talk about big ugly evil spiders that get you when your sleeping. I'll refrain from posting a pic, but I urge those interested to google image it.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
the camel spider image that gained a viral following was actually two of them hanging on each other. Also, technically camel spiders arent spiders at all.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Here is that YouTube video.

Here is an interesting one.

edit on 3-9-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Spiders are very much in my "Oh hell no" category. This is one of the reasons why:

I was sitting in the restroom, reflecting on the days events, when I noticed I was not alone. The stall I occupied was at the end of the room and was larger than the others. It was almost large enough to be two stalls, but not quite. The wall opposite me was roughly ten feet away. At the baseboard in the corner sat a spider. Not one of those skinny little things that looked like it would break if the wind blew. This was one of those big ugly spiders with pointy hairy legs and mirrored sunglasses and tons of attitude.

I watched the spider for a few minutes and it seemed to be watching me too. I didn’t think much of it - as long as it stayed 'over there'. I turned my attention to the roll of toilet paper hanging to my left and started to unwind a few squares to blow my nose with. I tossed a quick glance back toward the spider and discovered that it was not in the corner any more. It was now approximately 3 feet closer, just sitting there....staring at me.

At first I was a little paranoid and thought perhaps the spider had waited until I looked away to make its move. Better judgment prevailed and I realized it was just coincidence. I turned my attention once again to the toilet paper and tore the unrolled squares off. I looked back to where the spider was sitting and found, to my surprise, it was another two feet closer....just sitting there, staring at me....laughing..... It was no coincidence. This spider waited until I looked away to make his move. Fool me once...fool me twice....

I crumbled the toilet paper into a tight ball and tossed it at the spider. My aim was perfect. The toilet paper missile landed right in front of the unwanted guest who scurried back to his corner with startling speed. I had to admit I was impressed, and more than a little concerned, with the speed of the spider. We sat there for a few minutes, me and the spider, just staring at each other...sizing each other up. I unwound more paper from the roll and used it...without taking my eyes off of the spider. He sat there in the corner...watching...calculating....I could tell he was weighing the odds....

"This is ridiculous", I thought. I can’t sit here all day waiting for a dumb bug. I have to get back to work. I laughed a nervous little laugh and started to stand and pull up my trousers. I convinced myself that the spider and I were going to let each other pass and get on with our lives. I tucked in my shirt, zipped up, and grabbed the ends of my belt when some movement drew my attention away from the task at hand. The spider was now sitting ON the toe of my left shoe...staring at me...laughing....

Now it was my turn to weigh the odds. Just as I came to a conclusion the spider shot straight up my left pant leg. I panicked. As quickly as I could I gathered up the fabric of my trousers and pinched it tight against my thigh to block the spiders upward progress. I figured it would bite whatever it thought was attacking it so keeping it below 'the goods' was of extreme importance. I held the fabric as tightly as I could. I felt the spider run right up to the obstruction and sit there...tapping his foot impatiently, as if he was in the slow lane at the toll booth.

I was trying to think of a plan when suddenly to my dismay I realized I could no longer feel the spider on my leg. It had moved onto the fabric of my trousers and I had no idea where it was. My mind sprang to life with transient nodes of thought that coalesced into a fool-proof plan of action. I slipped my right foot out of my shoe and kicked it aside. Very slowly and cautiously I pushed the right leg of my trousers lower and pulled my leg out. So far - so good. I slipped my left foot out of my shoe and nudged it gently aside. I didn’t want anything getting in the way of the slick maneuver I was about to attempt.

My belt was a heavy leather deal with a big metal buckle. I thought that if I could throw the belt toward the floor as hard as I could, and pull my leg out at the same time, I might be able to get clear of the trousers before the spider could launch his attack. I stood motionless. I took a few deep breaths. I cleared my mind and went to my happy place. I was ready.

I hurled my belt toward the floor and leaped out of my trousers like Baryshnikov catapulting across a stage. My toes were pointed, my body spun in the air, I cleared the trousers and alit a few feet away where I stuck the landing for a perfect 10. I immediately performed a quick check of myself and was happy to find I was spider-free.

Unfortunately, I was now standing in the men’s room of my place of employment in my underwear and stocking feet, breathing hard, and chuckling uncontrollably. And I still had a problem. There was a spider in my pants...laughing at me...

Slowly, ever so slowly, I inched closer toward my trousers, as if I was a lion stalking a great beast on the plains of the Serengeti. I inspected the crumpled trousers as well as I could. No spider. I tossed them gently with my foot. No spider. I hooked the belt with my foot and opened the body of the trousers up and looked inside. No spider. I inspected every inch of the belt on both sides. No spider.

Bravely, I picked up the trousers and looked down the right leg. No spider. I looked down the left leg. No spider. I looked in the pockets. No spider. I shook the trousers violently. No spider. I surveyed the floor from wall to wall. No spider. I did one more check of myself and confirmed I was still spider-free. At last, freedom!

I jumped into my trousers and had them zipped before my feet hit the floor. My hands trembled with excitement but I managed the buckle on my belt while slipping my right foot into my shoe. My heart was beating hard now. I hit the valve on the toilet and giggled with glee as I turned toward the door for the first time since this travesty began. I was nearly there. I laughed out loud as I slid my left foot into my shoe.

And the sneaky little bastage bit me on the toe.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Brilliant tale made me chuckle and also keep checking myself as I read it, cruel to arachnophobic's like me but too funny not to read.
In part arachnophobia is a learned response and in part an instinctual one, while I was reading your story I jumped out of my skin because the cable from my trackball touched my bare ankly, thank's for the sleepless night.

Here is the largest known spider, the deer spider.

edit on 3-9-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Halfswede
Its not about breathing exactly, higher o2 content leads to larger animals true..its more about hydraulics which really is about pressure, if there is not enough outside pressure to contain the inside pressure you will have a blowout. A spider while simular to a crab isnt a crab, they have no real shell like a crab to contain that pressue. Im not an expert on crabs but they definatly have more musculature for their mobility..big spiders work kind of hydraulicly to some degree. In an evolutionary way the size of animal has mostly come down as a matter of efficiency..alot of work to support a large body and for a spider to grow a crab like shell is not efficient. Nature is efficient.
Cheers.

Don't doubt the power of mother nature. Altrought it's extremely unlikely, giant spiders can exst today... Altrough they are probably dead by now thanks to the changes on our athmosphere.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join